The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Biosustainability (DTU Biosustain) at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU) is invites applications for a position as Senior Software Engineer.
the Center for Biosustainability
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Biosustainability (CfB) is developing new technologies for engineering microbes, turning them into cell factories, which are designed for efficient production of a specific compound in a commercially competitive way. Today, many pharmaceuticals and chemicals are produced from oil or rare plant material. By using genome-scale modelling, advanced robotics and bioengineering, the Center’s researchers design and construct cell factories capable of converting low-value carbon sources to high-value chemical compounds and therapeutics in a more sustainable, cost-effective manner than today. In short: by using cell factories, we can go from an oil-based chemical industry to a highly sustainable bio-based industry.
The Center is part of a cluster of research centers that aim at attracting the world’s best researchers, and thereby creating the basis for an internationally oriented and innovative research environment of the highest quality to benefit society. The Center collaborates with the world’s leading researchers within the field and has established strategic alliances with universities in the United States (UCSD), Sweden (Chalmers and KTH), South Korea (KAIST) and Denmark (University of Copenhagen). Innovation is a high priority at the Center. Therefore, it collaborates with biotechnology companies and the chemical industry to enhance knowledge sharing and the application of the Center’s results.
The Center for Biosustainability is conducting a search for a talented and enthusiastic senior software engineer to develop experimental design, data collection and learning features for our software platform supporting the genetic engineering of microbial strains.
You will join the Software Engineering & Architecture group of our Computational Biology unit where we are developing an integrated R&D software platform supporting the development of cell factories.
As a senior software engineer joining our Scrum team you will develop new functionality and provide technical guidance for junior level developers.
- Develop web user interface components using Angular, Angular-Material, web services and REST APIs
- Develop backend code in Python, Flask
- Automated testing for our applications
- As a member of our development team, apply agile software development practices to develop, collaborate on, and coordinate the development and deployment of software using version control and continuous integration and testing strategies
- Provide technical coaching for junior level developers
Current technologies in use are: Persistence, caching: PostgreSQL, Redis; Web service: Python 3, Flask, SQLAlchemy, Graphene (GraphQL); Web interface: TypeScript, Angular, Angular-Material, Apollo (GraphQL); Deployment & CI: NGINX, Docker, Jenkins.
A degree in Computer Science, Bioinformatics or similar or equivalent work experience in software engineering is required. In addition, you should have the following qualifications:
- Able to write high quality, structured and maintainable code
- Experience in full-stack development
- Developing web services in Python
- Experience mentoring junior and intermediate level developers
- Competent at writing helpful documentation and appropriate unit tests
- Familiar with Agile software development practices; having worked with an Agile framework such as Scrum or Kanban in a team environment is a big plus
- Excellent interpersonal skills — able to work with technical and scientific staff with different roles and professional backgrounds and willingness to learn from others
- Cooperative nature and be willing to nurture talents in yourself and your teammates
- Experience developing enterprise applications using a major development platform is a plus
- Prior experience with graph databases is a plus
We value developer community participation. If you have active profiles on GitHub or StackExchange or any significant open source contributions, please include the details in your CV or cover letter.
Education & special trainings
- University degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Computational Biology, Life Science or Computer Science.
and appointment terms
The salary and appointment terms will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The workplace will at DTU Lyngby Campus.
we offer in return
We offer an interesting and challenging job in an international atmosphere with the focus on research, teaching, innovation and scientific advice for the benefit of the surrounding community. We place emphasis on a high level of professionalism among our staff, so skills development is an integral part of our organization. We offer a great flexibility in the position. In the area of technical and natural sciences, DTU is one of the leading research and education institutions in Europe.
Furthermore we offer:
- A meaningful project mission of making a step towards a green sustainable economy
- A multidisciplinary team of biotechnologists, data scientists and software engineers
- A budget for self-development activities, courses and conferences. We believe that learning is crucial for success and motivation
- Horizontal team structure where everybody has a voice and can make impactful decisions
- Social life; the Center is located on the campus of the Technical University of Denmark and has an in-house gym, a library, a brewing club and much more
Please submit your online application no later than 30 September 2019 (local time).Open the “Apply online” link, fill out the form and attach your motivated application, CV and exam certificates.
If you would like additional information about the position, please contact Vincenzo Capuano, Director Software and Data Architecture at email@example.com .
You can read more about DTU Biosustain at www.biosustain.dtu.dk .
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Biosustainability is an international research center at the Technical University of Denmark funded by a grant from the Novo Nordisk Foundation. The center conducts research in metabolic engineering of cell factories, in silico systems biology, metagenomics, and plant biochemistry with the purpose of developing new processes and technologies that can support a more sustainable bio-based production of valuable chemicals in the future. The Center brings together some of the world's leading researchers in the field and will possess the advanced equipment and facilities required for achieving its ambitious research goals. Impact on society by innovation has a high priority and the Center collaborates worldwide with biotech companies and chemical industries to facilitate the dissemination and exploitation of its results.
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 6,000 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society, and our 11,200 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent university collaborating globally with business, industry, government and public agencies.
Professor In Yeast Metabolic Engineering, Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Denmark, 13 days ago
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Biosustainability (DTU Biosustain) invites applications for a position as Professor in Yeast Metabolic Engineering. DTU Biosustain is a research center with ...
Senior Lab Manager In Stem Cells, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, about 24 hours ago
Description of the division iPS core is a human cell facility, (www.ipscore.se ), located at Karolinska Institutet in Solna. The facility was founded in 2013 by associate professor Anna Falk. The ...
Professor (With Special Responsibilities) In Offshore Produced Water Management Research, Technical University of Denmark (DTU), Denmark, 13 days ago
Do you have solid experience with research & development in relation to oil and gas production and a strong track record within management of multidisciplinary R&D programmes? Then you might be th...
Cytoskeletal Dynamics In T Cells, National Institutes of Health, United States, about 20 hours ago
Position Description: A fully-funded postdoctoral position is available for a highly motivated scientist who would like to explore the functions of motor proteins and cytoskeletal protein dynamics...
New Experimental Approaches For Car T Use In Pediatric Patientes Affcted By Leukemia Or Lymphoma, Universita' degli Studi di Torino, Italy, 25 days ago
New cell therapies based on immune effector cells (IECs) have been developed to induce a clinical response in patients with relapsed or refractory oncological diseases, such as acute lymphoblastic...
Characterization Of The Role Of Rho Gt Pases In Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma In Order To Find New..., Universita' degli Studi di Torino, Italy, 24 days ago
RHO GTPases, their regulators and effectors, are essential for T cell activation, proliferation and migration, and for the generation of the immunologic synapse upon TCR engagement. In particular,...