The Department of Social Sciences and Business (ISE) at Roskilde University invites applications for a position as professor with special responsibilities in public administration and politics. The appointment starts December 1 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter and has a 5-year time limit with a possible 3-year extension. At the expiry of the appointment, the applicant will continue in a position as associate professor at the Department
ISE seeks to hire a professor MSO who will strengthen and further develop our research and research based teaching in public administration and in politics further. We call for a person who will contribute to the intellectual life of the Department by conducting outstanding research, engaging in high quality teaching, and by actively taking part in the wider academic activities of the Department.
ISE conducts interdisciplinary, collaborative and socially engaged research based on political science, economics, anthropology, business studies, sociology, legal studies, and development studies. The Department hosts an innovative and interdisciplinary university environment characterized by academic and methodological diversity in research and education. Researchers at ISE emphasise research methodologies and share a commitment to understanding society and businesses in diverse contexts of change and global engagement. We produce research at the highest international level that feeds into our educational programmes and leverages into social, economic and political change. Research at the Department is organised into research groups. In one of these groups, we expect the successful candidate to work closely with colleagues trained as for instance sociologists, political scientists, anthropologists, or economists. Read more about the research groups here.
Responsibilities and tasks
The responsibilities of the coming professor MSO includes research, fundraising, teaching, dissemination and academic citizenship activities. We expect the coming professor MSO to maintain a substantial record of publications, to manage research grants, to take a leading role in research group activities, and to engage in external fundraising and other activities to increase funds for the Department. The teaching includes classroom teaching and project supervision as well as the development of new teaching activities in public administration and politics at the BA and MA level and in one or both of our Social Science BA programmes. It also entails guidance and supervision of PhD students and assistant professors. The dissemination involves sharing knowledge with the rest of society including participation in the public debate. Finally, we expect the professor MSO to take active and visible part in academic citizenship activities e.g. assessments and other administrative tasks requested by the Department.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have established him/herself as a prominent scholar in his/her field within public administration and politics
- Accomplish research and engage in research cooperation meeting high international standards
- Show academic leadership by developing and managing core educational and research related tasks
- Actively contribute to boost the international recognition of the research of the Department,
- Actively engage in large-scale external fundraising to assure funds for PhDs, post docs etc. at the Department,
- Actively participate in research management (including initiating and leading research projects/programmes),
- Engage in disciplinary and interdisciplinary collaboration across the Department
- Play an active role in developing the educational programmes of the Department,
- Actively contribute to the administrative responsibilities of the Department and to university-wide tasks,
- Actively participate in the Department’s communication with the broader public,
- Take leading responsibility for the long-term well-being of the Department and the university at large
- Actively contribute to the research environment by a visible and physical presence at ISE, and
- Promote the academic reputation of Roskilde University.
Applicants must hold a relevant PhD degree. The ideal candidate matches most of the following characteristics:
- International research profile within public administration and politics
- Considerable teaching experience in public administration and politics
- Demonstrated ability to attract external research funding
- A keen interest and experience in project-based teaching and teaching in an interdisciplinary environment
- Knowledge of Danish (or Swedish/Norwegian) to the degree that you comfortably can do classroom teaching and project supervision and participate in on-going administrative and collegial cooperation, and
- Good communicative and relational skills.
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Research topic(s)
- An original scientific production at a high international level which documents that the applicant has contributed to developing the academic discipline of public administration and politics
- The fit between the description of the suggested responsibility (see application below) and ISE’s research strategy
- Strong teaching qualifications, experience with project-based learning, and substantial interdisciplinary teaching experience,
- Experience in education development and management
- Experience in successfully supervising PhD candidates
- Proven ability to attract external funds for research
- The ability to promote and utilise research results
- The ability to contribute to development of the department’s internal and external cooperation
For further information about the position, please contact Head of Department Peter Kragelund on tel. (+45) 4674 3335 / email@example.com or Deputy Head of Department Bodil Damgaard (+45) 4674 2251 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms of employment
The employment is full time and you will refer to Head of Department Peter Kragelund
The position will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) and Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
Commencing salary will be for professor (MSO) minimum DKK 563.362,82 per year (1st April 2019 level) plus pension contribution (17,1 %).
Professor Mso/Senior Researcher In International Law And Security At The Centre For Military Studies, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 14 hours ago
The Department of Political Science, in collaboration with the Faculty of Law, at the University of Copenhagen invites applications for a position as Professor MSO or Senior Researcher in internat...
Assistant Professor Of Structural Biology, Department Of Biology, University Of Copenhagen, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 14 hours ago
The Department of Biology, University of Copenhagen has two assistant professor positions in Structural Biology and NMR spectroscopy available starting May 1st, 2020. The positions are for 4 years...
Assistant Professor In Journalism Studies (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 21 days ago
Excellent research assessments and growing student numbers enable the Department of Media Studies and Journalism of the University of Groningen to hire an assistant professor in Journalism Studies...
Associate Professor In Civil Society Studies, Copenhagen Business School , CBS, Denmark, 1 day ago
Copenhagen Business School invites applications for a vacant Associate Professorship in Civil Society Studies at the Department of Management, Politics and Philosophy (MPP) In announcing this asso...
Professorship With Special Responsibilities In International Political Economy, Copenhagen Business School , CBS, Denmark, about 17 hours ago
Copenhagen Business School invites applications for a vacant professorship with special responsibilities in the international political economy, at the Department of Organization. In announcing a ...
Associate, Assistant Professor, Or Professor In The College Of Islamic Studies, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, about 18 hours ago
Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development (QF), was founded in 2010 to continue fulfilling QF’s vision of unlocking human ...