The Department of Social Sciences and Business (ISE) at Roskilde University invites applications for one-two position(s) as professor with special responsibilities in social studies. The appointment starts December 1 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter and has a 5-year time limit with a possible 3-year extension. At the expiry of the appointment, the applicant will continue in a position as associate professor at the Department
ISE seeks to hire one-two professor(s) MSO who will strengthen and further develop our research and research based teaching in social studies further. We call for one-two person(s) who will contribute to the intellectual life of the Department by conducting outstanding research, engaging in high quality teaching, and by actively taking part in the wider academic activities of the Department.
ISE conducts interdisciplinary, collaborative and socially engaged research based on political science, economics, anthropology, business studies, sociology, legal studies, and development studies. The Department hosts an innovative and interdisciplinary university environment characterized by academic and methodological diversity in research and education. Researchers at ISE emphasise research methodologies and share a commitment to understanding society and businesses in diverse contexts of change and global engagement. We produce research at the highest international level that feeds into our educational programmes and leverages into social, economic and political change. Research at the Department is organised into research groups. In one of these groups, we expect the successful candidate to work closely with colleagues trained as for instance sociologists, political scientists, anthropologists, or economists. Read more about the research groups here.
Responsibilities and tasks
The responsibilities of the coming professor MSO includes research, fundraising, teaching, dissemination and academic citizenship activities. We expect the coming professor MSO to maintain a substantial record of publications, to manage research grants, to take a leading role in research group activities, and to engage in external fundraising and other activities to increase funds for the Department. The teaching includes classroom teaching and project supervision as well as the development of new teaching activities in social studies at the BA and MA level and in one or both of our Social Science BA programmes. It also entails guidance and supervision of PhD students and assistant professors. The dissemination involves sharing knowledge with the rest of society including participation in the public debate. Finally, we expect the professor MSO to take active and visible part in academic citizenship activities e.g. assessments and other administrative tasks requested by the Department.
The ideal candidate will:
- Have established him/herself as a prominent scholar in his/her field within social studies
- Accomplish research and engage in research cooperation meeting high international standards
- Show academic leadership by developing and managing core educational and research related tasks
- Actively contribute to boost the international recognition of the research of the Department,
- Actively engage in large-scale external fundraising to assure funds for PhDs, post docs etc. at the Department,
- Actively participate in research management (including initiating and leading research projects/programmes),
- Engage in disciplinary and interdisciplinary collaboration across the Department
- Play an active role in developing the educational programmes of the Department,
- Actively contribute to the administrative responsibilities of the Department and to university-wide tasks,
- Actively participate in the Department’s communication with the broader public,
- Take leading responsibility for the long-term well-being of the Department and the university at large
- Actively contribute to the research environment by a visible and physical presence at ISE, and
- Promote the academic reputation of Roskilde University.
Applicants must hold a relevant PhD degree. The ideal candidate matches most of the following characteristics:
- International research profile within social studies
- Considerable teaching experience in social studies
- Demonstrated ability to attract external research funding
- A keen interest and experience in project-based teaching and teaching in an interdisciplinary environment
- Knowledge of Danish (or Swedish/Norwegian) to the degree that you comfortably can do classroom teaching and project supervision and participate in on-going administrative and collegial cooperation, and
- Good communicative and relational skills.
In the assessment of the candidates, consideration will be given to:
- Research topic(s)
- An original scientific production at a high international level which documents that the applicant has contributed to developing the academic discipline of social studies
- The fit between the description of the suggested responsibility (see application below) and ISE’s research strategy
- Strong teaching qualifications, experience with project-based learning, and substantial interdisciplinary teaching experience,
- Experience in education development and management
- Experience in successfully supervising PhD candidates
- Proven ability to attract external funds for research
- The ability to promote and utilise research results
- The ability to contribute to development of the department’s internal and external cooperation
For further information about the position, please contact Head of Department Peter Kragelund on tel. (+45) 4674 3335 / email@example.com or Deputy Head of Department Bodil Damgaard (+45) 4674 2251 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Terms of employment
The employment is full time and you will refer to Head of Department Peter Kragelund
The position will be filled according to the Agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) and Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities.
Commencing salary will be for professor (MSO) minimum DKK 563.362,82 per year (1st April 2019 level) plus pension contribution (17,1 %).
Associate Professor For Computational Cognitive Science And Modelling (M/F), University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, about 21 hours ago
The Associate Professor will be a member of the Research group "Cognitive Science and Assessment" (COSA) in the department "Behavioural & Cognitive Sciences". COSA is concerned with quantitative, ...
Assistant Professor In Integrated Distribution Systems , Aalborg University, Denmark, about 12 hours ago
At the Faculty of Engineering and Science, Department of Energy Technology, a position as Assistant Professor in integrated distribution systems is open for appointment from April 1 2020 to march ...
Associate Professor In Computational Linguistics (M/F), University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, about 21 hours ago
The Associate Professor will be a member of the Department of Humanities within the Faculty of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences. With regard to linguistics, all linguistic levels are inve...
Professor Of Business Administration Specializing In Entrepreneurship , Umeå University, Sweden, about 22 hours ago
Professor of Business Administration specializing in Entrepreneurship Vacant position, full professor of Business Administration with specialization in Entrepreneurship at Umeå School of Business,...
Full Professor In Early Modern History (M/F), University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, about 21 hours ago
The Professor will be a member of the Department of Humanities within the Faculty of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences. The successful candidate will carry out high-level research in Early...
ProFessor Or AsSistAnt / AsSoCiAte ProFessor In Sustainability Science, University of Helsinki, Belgium, 24 minutes ago
The University of Helsinki is among the leading multidisciplinary research universities in the world. In addition to its 11 faculties, the University includes several independent institutes, some ...