We seek a professor in physical geodesy. The position is associated with the division of Geodesy and Earth Observation (GEO) that carries out research in the fields of geodesy such as the development of satellite-based geodetic information and solutions related to the development of the fundamental reference networks in Denmark and Greenland. We are about 40 people in the division, including approx.10 PhD students.
Gravity field research in geodesy and geophysics include satellite, in-situ, marine and airborne gravity campaigns. The field has undergone major development during the last decades, with the gravity field being an important element in the global geodetic observing system and a fundamental part of reference networks. New satellite missions and ongoing developments in technology and methodology offering exciting new ways to map and use the gravity field, resulting in more accurate geoid models at local, regional and global level, understanding the earth structure, and providing key data for mass changes and associated climate-related research.
Responsibilities and qualifications
You are keen to develop strategic research within physical geodesy and related geophysical topics, including satellite gravity field research, developing methodologies for analysis and utilization of next generation gravity field missions and future cold atom missions, and complementary airborne and in-situ measurements. You will be a leading scientist in the DTU Space gravity field research group with a staff of 5-6 people and associated PhD students, where you will support a successful generational change. You will have these main tasks:
- Research in physical geodesy and related geophysics areas, including use of gravity field satellites for climate related research
- Developing together with the gravity group the research supporting public sector consultancy in the field of gravity, geoid and reference frames, including geoid determination
- Contribute and develop courses within gravity fields and physical geodesy
- Develop education in collaboration with national and international partners including the industry. Special emphasis to support the development of EuroTech alliance curriculum and student projects.
- Develop, plan and execute field campaigns acquiring gravimetric data in support of national, polar and international surveys (absolute, relative, ground, marine and airborne)
- Attract external funding
Additional tasks are:
- Develop strategic research related to gravity fields addressing needs of the public sector and take contribute in relevant national and international committees and working groups, in bodies like IAG (geodesy), NKG (Nordic geodesy) and ESA
- Assure dissemination of results of strategic research and perspectives to the public, sector and relevant committees
- Establish new and strengthen existing networking with the private sector and establish collaboration projects on innovation related to Gravity fields across DTU institutes
The division of Geodesy and Earth Observation contributes actively to Arctic DTU, Security DTU, and DTU Space Drone Centre. Part of the teaching is coordinated with DTU Sustain.
You will get a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment, collaborating and networking with research colleagues from all over the world. A position with academic freedom, tempered by responsibility, in a world-leading geodetic research section with recognised academic excellence.
You are expected to take a leading role in teaching at the BEng, BSc, MSc and PhD levels with special attention to the program “Earth and Space Physics and Engineering”, at a high level, and to be inspirational to students and colleagues.
DTU employs two working languages: Danish and English. You are expected to be fluent in at least one of these languages, and in time are expected to master both. If relevant, DTU can provide Danish language courses enabling you to teach in Danish within 2-3 years.
You will be assessed against the responsibilities and qualifications stated above and the following general criteria:
- Documented experience and quality of teaching and curriculum development Research impact and experience, funding track record and research vision International impact and experience Societal impact Innovativeness, including commercialization and collaboration with industry Leadership, collaboration, and interdisciplinary skills Communication skills
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
Further information may be obtained from Professor René Forsberg, firstname.lastname@example.org , tel. +45 4525 9719 or Head of Geodesy and Earth Observation, Michael Schultz Rasmussen, email@example.com , tel. +45 2053 3230
You can read more about the division” at https://www.space.dtu.dk/english/Research/Research-Divisions/Geodesy-and-Earth-Observation
DTU Space: https://www.space.dtu.dk/english
If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark .
Your complete online application must be submitted no later than 9 July 2023(Danish time).
Apply at: Professor in Physical Geodesy
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter) addressed to the President
- Vision for teaching and research
- CV including employment history, list of publications indicating scientific highlights, H-index and ORCID (see http://orcid.org/ )
- Teaching portfolio including documentation of teaching experience
- Academic Diplomas (MSc/PhD)
You can learn more about the recruitment process here .
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Technology for people
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear mission to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That mission lives on today. DTU has 13,500 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. DTU has campuses in all parts of Denmark and in Greenland, and we collaborate with the best universities around the world.
Dtu Tenure Track Assistant Professor/Associate Professor In Waste Management, Resource Engineering And Circularity Dtu Sustain, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 9 days ago
If you want to boost your career as researcher and educator within one or more areas of waste management, resource engineering and circularity, here is the chance! We offer two opportunities to jo...
Coordinator To The Center Of Excellence, Center For Microbial Secondary Metabolites, Ce Mi St Dtu Bioengineering, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 8 days ago
We are seeking a coordinator to assist the Center leader in running and coordinating practical, administrative, financial, scientific and social activities in CeMiSt in liaison with the DTU Bioeng...
Associate Professor Or Dtu Tenure Track Assistant Professor In Experimental Electrochemistry Dtu Energy, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 10 days ago
If you are establishing your career as scientist and you are looking for the best possible foundation for fulfilling your dreams and ambitions, it could well be here right in front of you. At DTU ...
Lab Assistant Dtu Chemical Engineeirng (Part Time), Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 16 days ago
We are looking for a Lab Assistant (227-ground floor) to spend few hours per week cleaning the glassware in our laboratories and maintaining our consumables stock. The job Your primary responsibil...
Senior Officer In High Energy Instrumentation For Astrophysics Dtu Space, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 14 days ago
Senior officer to work on High-Energy Instrumentation for Astrophysics at DTU Space. The position requires the candidate to be responsible of the daily operation of the thin film coating facility ...
Associate Professor In Co Creation And Universal Design With Focus On Promoting And Implementing An Inclusive Mind Set At A Technical University – Dtu Entrepreneurship And Dtu Skylab, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 4 days ago
DTU Centre for Technology Entrepreneurship and DTU Skylab are opening a position for an Associate Professor, with a deep engagement in education and research, to join the flagship initiative Techn...