The Department of Agroecology at Aarhus University is seeking a professor within the area of pedology and digital soil mapping.
The position is available October 1st 2021 or as soon as possible.
The position aims to strengthen ongoing activities at the department’s Soil Physics and Hydropedology Section. The section aims at a basic understanding of soil's physical, chemical and hydrological processes as well as to achieve quantitative insight into the spatial distribution of soil characteristics on a local, regional and national scale. Further the section is dedicated to the research of fundamental soil functions and threats to the soil resource such as pollution, erosion, and compaction and declining of soil organic matter. Agricultural intensification and climate change accelerate soil degradation, and this calls for expanded research effort into effective soil mapping techniques and generation of reliable soils data.
The focus of the professorship will be on characterization of soil variability on scales from soil profiles to national and global scales using various soil mapping and digital soil mapping techniques. This involves theoretical and experimental based research and knowledge on glaciated landscapes and the associated soils, focusing on understanding and characterizing soil formation, evolution and the spatial distribution with emphasis on historical or current human impact on soils. This understanding should form the basis for research and the development of soil mapping and sampling techniques, e.g. in relation to establishment of agricultural management zone or the use of proximal or remote sensors for soil mapping.
Besides research and education, the professor will have special duties within policy support serving the Ministry of Food, Agriculture and Fisheries. This also involves international activities for example through the involvement in European Soil Partnership.
You are expected to:
- be responsible for the development of the research area, with implementation of basic and applied research
- establish synergies between your own research and other related research activities to secure the needed interdisciplinary approaches
- maintain a strong national and international network of contacts with leading research groups, as well as pursuing industrial contacts within the agro industry
- support the development of comprehensive research-based teaching activities and participate in assessments of students at BSc, MSc and PhD levels
- contribute to effective knowledge exchange with society, industry and the Danish Government
- successfully attract external research grants from industry, national and international sources
- develop and contribute to relevant educational courses at the Bachelor and Master levels
- participate in MSc, PhD and post-doctoral training and be responsible for the educational guidance of assistant professors/postdocs.
The successful candidate must possess relevant academic qualifications and a proven record of scientific achievements at international level. Further professional and personal qualifications are emphasised:
- PhD degree or equivalent qualifications within soil science or related research fields
- Documented experience as an international research leader in relation to soil mapping
- Documented research qualifications at professorship level
- Experience in communication of research in a wide context
- Documented ability to strengthen national and international cooperation within the research area
- Documented ability to attract research funding from both industrial and public sources
- Documented experience with supervision of postdocs, PhD and MSc students
- Documented teaching experience and a demonstrated ability to develop relevant educational material
- Documented leadership skills in relation to international collaboration and development of interdisciplinary research teams
The Department of Agroecology
At the Department of Agroecology we study interactions between soil, plants, animals, humans and the environment in different agroecosystems for the production of food, feed, biomaterials and energy. Thus, we contribute to both fundamental knowledge generation and the attainment of sustainable production systems via state-of-the-art research, contracted policy advice, and education. We offer state-of-the-art laboratory, green house, semi-field and field scale research facilities, advanced computing capacities as well as an extensive national and international researcher network. The department has a staff of approximately 275 people including 56 senior academics, 37 junior researchers and postdocs as well as 56 PhD students. More information can be foundhere
<>< a=""> />The Department of Agroecology offers<>
- An informal and multicultural research environment with high professionalism, where accountability, commitment, helpfulness, flexibility and close collaboration is a prerequisite solving the core tasks
- A good social environment with activities and routines that make it possible to talk across and strengthen the collegial relationship, and where mutual trust, respect, kindness and professional sparring are emphasized
- A flexible workplace with good work-life balance
- Possibility of membership of staff association, access to gym and free fruit scheme
- An exciting and varied working environment, where two days rarely resemble each other. We are often busy and we work creatively for solutions to societal challenges
Place of Work
The place of work is Aarhus University, Blichers Allé 20, 8830 Tjele. The affiliation will be with the Department of Agroecology.
For further information contact Head of Department Jørgen Eivind Olesen, phone: +45 40821659, e-mail: email@example.com .
Shortlisting is used. This means that after the deadline for applications – and with the assistance from the assessment committee chairman, and the assessment committee if necessary, – the head of department selects the candidates to be evaluated. The selection is made on the basis of an assessment of who of the candidates are most relevant considering the requirements of the advertisement. All applicants will be notified within 6 weeks whether or not their applications have been sent to an expert assessment committee for evaluation. The selected applicants will be informed about the composition of the committee and will receive his/her assessment. Once the recruitment process is completed a final letter of rejection is sent to the deselected applicants.
Letter of reference
If you want a referee to upload a letter of reference on your behalf, please state the referee’s contact information when you submit your application. We strongly recommend that you make an agreement with the person in question before you enter the referee’s contact information, and that you ensure that the referee has enough time to write the letter of reference before the application deadline.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to ensure that letters of reference received after the application deadline will be taken into consideration.
Formalities and salary range Formalities and salary range
Technical Sciences refers to the http://www.medarbejdere.au.dk/appointment_of_academic_staff_at_universit... Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Danish Universities under the Danish Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
The application must be in English and include a curriculum vitae, degree certificate, a complete list of publications, a statement of future research plans and information about research activities, teaching portfolio and verified information on previous teaching experience (if any). Guidelines for applicants can be found https://tech.au.dk/en/about-the-faculty/vacant-positions-and-career/guid... here.
Appointment shall be in accordance with the collective labour agreement between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. Further information on qualification requirements and job content may be found in the https://medarbejdere.au.dk/fileadmin/www.medarbejdere.au.dk/hr/Rekrutter... Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Danish Universities.
Salary depends on seniority as agreed between the Danish Ministry of Finance and the Confederation of Professional Associations.
Researcher Precision Farming, Wageningen University & Research, Netherlands, 7 days ago
Wageningen University & Research Wageningen University & Research The mission of Wageningen University and Research is "To explore the potential of nature to improve the quality of life". Under th...
(211 0108/21 2 K) Professor In Micrometeorology And Land Atmosphere Exchange, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 1 day ago
Professor in Micrometeorology and land-atmosphere exchange Department of Geosciences and Natural Resource Management Faculty of Science University of Copenhagen The Department of Geosciences and N...
Urban Design Coordinator For ‘Agropolitan Territories’ , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 14 hours ago
This Singapore-based role is within the ‘Agropolitan Territories’ research module of the Future Cities Laboratory (FCL). The role will focus on planning, designing and coordinating prototype const...
Researcher In Microbial Ecology: Soil Fungi Across The Agricultural Landscape – Are Old Grasslands A Belowground Biodiversity Tressure?, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, about 4 hours ago
A researcher position in Microbial Ecology is available at the Department of Forest Mycology and Plant Pathology, part of Uppsala BioCenter and the Faculty of Natural Resources and Agricultural Sc...
Tutor/Senior Tutor Soil Science, Lincoln University, New Zealand, 26 days ago
Technical support Sign in Search jobs Search Show all jobs Keyword or Job Code Locations Any Work type Any Expertise Any show advanced Search firstname.lastname@example.org Apply Print Email this job to a ...
Gis Technician Southeast Us, The Barn Group Land Trust, United States, about 2 hours ago
Click for a hub of Extension resources related to the current COVID-19 situation. AgencyThe Barn Group Land TrustLocationSoutheast US-Georgia preferredJob CategoryFull time PositionsSalary$40-45,0...