Do you want to work on engineering next-generation cellular therapies? We are seeking a talented postdoc to work on interdisciplinary projects involving precise, high-throughput genome engineering for mammalian synthetic biology. The candidate will join the Cell Architecture Group (PI Ryan T. Gill) at the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Biosustainability (DTU Biosustain) in Denmark. The Cell Architecture Group is developing cellular engineering technologies based on high-throughput and multiplexed genome editing (CRISPR) for a wide range of downstream applications from industrial biotech to cell therapies. DTU Biosustain is part of the Technical University of Denmark and provides a world-class research environment with state-of-the-art facilities and advanced technologies with special emphasis on cell factory engineering and systems biology technologies.
The candidates will focus on developing and implementing next-generation genome engineering and synthetic biology technologies for complex engineering of mammalian cell lines. Some projects will also involve using microorganisms such as yeast and E. coli as model systems to develop genome engineering technologies. We are looking for candidates with expertise in one or more of the following areas:
(1) Synthetic Biology: Candidates should have experience with, and desire to, engineer biological systems. This includes a background in developing synthetic biological circuits to regulate activity, such as X and Y or A not B. We are also looking for candidates with experience in antibody engineering using selection-based systems (Fx, phage display) in combination with NGS. Candidates with experience in complex genetic design such as MIMO synthetic circuits, computer aided protein engineering, and/or metabolic/ genomic engineering for cell therapy applications in mammalian systems will be prioritized. We will also consider outstanding applicants with related experience that are motivated to develop competencies in this field.
(2) Genomic assays: Candidates for this position should be comfortable with designing and analyzing large-scale genomic assays using innovative molecular biology techniques such as genome-wide CRISPR screens with custom guide RNA libraries and high throughput/multiplexed cloning. Of particular importance is experience in generating and analyzing NGS data, for example: genome sequencing and single cell sequencing.
The candidate will be responsible for executing laboratory projects involving a variety of techniques encompassing: mammalian cell culture, high-efficiency transfection, standard molecular biology techniques such as design and assembly of synthetic DNA constructs, nucleic acid purification, CRISPR gene editing, next-generation sequencing, and basic bioinformatic analyses.
Specific tasks will include:
- Develop innovative research plans
- Design, implement and execute critical experiments associated with a research plan
- Document experimental design and results in electronic lab notebooks
- Analyze and organize data to draw meaningful conclusions
- Develop and support the submission of patents and other intellectual property
- Publish and present at professional meetings as appropriate.
- Excellence in independent problem solving
- Have deep laboratory experience with synthetic biology and genome editing-engineering technologies in mammalian cells
- Have experience with omics data analysis and familiarity with scripting languages (e.g. Python) for working with large data sets
- Enjoy sharing knowledge and experience with others
- Ability to lead multiple projects and support collaborations
- PhD degree or similar in molecular biology, biochemistry, biotechnology or bioengineering or equivalent as well as academic qualifications equivalent to those obtained by holding a position as Researcher or Postdoc
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice for the benefit of the surrounding community. We offer an interesting and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and an academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
Workplace and period of employment
The period of employment is time limited to 2 years.
The place of employment is the DTU main campus in Kgs. Lyngby, Denmark.
You can read more about career paths at DTU here .
Further information may be obtained from Professor Ryan T. Gill ([email protected] )
You can read more about the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Biosustainability at www.biosustain.dtu.dk
Please submit your online application no later than 15 March 2020 (23:59 local time).
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply online", fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Diploma (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU Biosustain is an international research center of excellence developing next generation cell factories and bioprocesses for sustainable production of high-value chemical compounds as well as protein-based products. The center uses advanced metabolic engineering techniques and computational biology ensuring efficient and cost-effective design and construction processes.
The center’s activities are a balanced mix of basic and translational research, complemented by an emphasis on business development to facilitate commercialization of new cell factories and associated technologies. DTU Biosustain offers state-of-the-art research facilities and assembles world leaders in the field thus offering a unique platform providing excellent talent development and career opportunities.
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear vision to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That vision lives on today. DTU has 11,500 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. Our main campus is in Kgs. Lyngby north of Copenhagen and we have campuses in Roskilde and Ballerup and in Sisimiut in Greenland.
Postdoctoral Fellow In Computational Systems Biology At Cic Bio Gune, Asociación Centro de Investigación Cooperativa en Biociencias - CIC bioGUNE, Spain, 27 days ago
The Computational Biology Group seeks a highly skilled and motivated Postdoctoral fellow to work on an exciting project that aims at developing a computational framework for modeling stem cell-nic...
Postdoctoral Fellow Position In The Field Of Ras Cancer Cell Biology (M/F), University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 24 days ago
The University of Luxembourg has the following vacancy in the Cancer Cell Biology Group (Prof. Dr. Daniel Abankwa) at the Department for Life Sciences and Medicine, Faculty of Science, Technology ...
Post Doc: Data Driven Ultrasound Actuation In Optical Nanoscopy, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 14 days ago
The single cell, the basic building block of all living things, is the key to our understanding of biological systems. Currently, the study of human diseases is strongly based on cellular models, ...
Research Assistant Professor Anesthesiology (Job Id #130942), University of Illinois, United States, about 23 hours ago
The duties and responsibilities of the position include extensive practical experience in biochemical and molecular biology techniques, cell culture, immunocytochemistry, confocal microscopy inclu...
Post Doctoral In Cell Physiology/Applied Bio Physics, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Job Description Postdoctoral research position is available to work with dept. of Electrical Engineering, College of Engineering of the United Arab Emirates University. The work is in the interdis...
Innovation Associate, Stemmatters, Portugal, about 6 hours ago
It is essential that the Innovation Associate has the following experience, skills and abilities: Experienced researcher with a PhD in Life Sciences, - Specialist knowledge of cell therapy product...