You will join the Section for Fisheries Technology at DTU Aqua in Hirtshals. The section has 19 employees and focuses on the technological development of fishing gears, techniques and methods that can contribute to promoting economic and environmental sustainability in the fishing industry, and that can support society's need to regulate fishing. The section is internationally recognized and has a strong collaborative network within the development of advanced analytics. Learn more about the Section at https://www.aqua.dtu.dk/fisheries-technology-section
Responsibilities and qualifications
In this role, you will join an internationally recognised multidisciplinary team to develop new technologies and advanced analytics such as deep learning methods for the analysis of images and videos for species identification and automated catch registration to advance fisheries. The team is developing fish detection and species identification algorithms, with the goal of implementing the software in commercial fisheries. Your role will be to further this development by contributing with a strong background in computer vision, machine learning, quantitative analysis and programming. You will collaborate with nearby colleagues and strengthen existing collaborations with other DTU institutes while also establishing new academic and industrial partnerships. Your primary tasks will be to:
- Develop supervised, semi-supervised and/or unsupervised methods, as well as robust learning methods to detect, classify, and segment fish species in videos;
- Manage and automate the collection and labelling of new datasets;
- Deliver an error rate analysis of the fish detection and species recognition algorithms;
- Produce high quality scientific papers suitable for publication in quality journals;
- Prepare conference papers and present those at conferences;
- Contribute to the development of innovative concepts and ideas for further research;
- Participate in national and international projects through the generation of new ideas in collaboration with end users;
In the assessment of the candidates, particular consideration will be given to:
- A strong track record in the development and application of computer vision algorithms, machine learning and automation, and the ability to understand and develop mathematically-founded machine learning algorithms for video analyses;
- Highly experienced in developing and evaluating machine learning models;
- A history of publishing in peer reviewed journals and/or authorship of scientific papers, reports, grant applications or patents;
- Proficiency in Python, C++ or equivalent programming languages;
- High level written and oral communication skills, including the presentation of research outcomes at national and international conferences.
You must contribute to the teaching of courses. DTU employs two working languages: Danish and English. You are expected to be fluent in at least one of these languages, and in time are expected to master both.
As formal qualification you must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent) as well as a minimum of 2 years research experience after the PhD.
You will be assessed against the responsibilities and qualifications stated above and the following general criteria:
- Research experience
- Experience and quality of teaching
- Research vision and potential
- International impact and experience
- Societal impact
- Innovativeness, including commercialization and collaboration with industry
- Leadership, collaboration, and interdisciplinary skills
- Communication skills
Salary and terms of employment
The position is a full-time position and start date is as early as feasible. The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed upon with the relevant union.
The position is part of DTU’s Tenure Track program. Read more about the program and the recruitment process here .
You can read more about career paths at DTU here .
Further information may be obtained from Head of Section for Fisheries Technology Jordan Feekings, +45 24895821; email: [email protected]
You can read more about DTU Aqua at www.aqua.dtu.dk
If you are applying from abroad, you may find useful information on working in Denmark and at DTU at DTU – Moving to Denmark .
Your complete online application must be submitted no later than 12 December 2023 (23:59 Danish time).
Applications must be submitted as one PDF file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link "Apply now", fill out the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Vision for teaching and research for the tenure track period
- CV including employment history, list of publications, H-index and ORCID (see http://orcid.org/ )
- Teaching portfolio including documentation of teaching experience
- Academic Diplomas (MSc/PhD)
Applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, disability, race, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
About DTU Aqua, Technical University of Denmark
DTU Aqua provides research, advice, innovation and education at the highest international level within the sustainable exploitation of living marine and freshwater resources, the biology of aquatic organisms, and the dynamics of ecosystems as well as their integration in ecosystem-based management. DTU Aqua has 350 employees, of whom a third are scientific staff. The other employees are assistant biologists, laboratory technicians, administrative staff, ship’s crew etc. In addition, the institute has a number of scientific and administrative support functions, including the research vessels DANA and HAVFISKEN. DTU Aqua has locations in Lyngby, Hirtshals, Nykøbing Mors, and Silkeborg.
Technology for people
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear mission to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That mission lives on today. DTU has 13,500 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. DTU has campuses in all parts of Denmark and in Greenland, and we collaborate with the best universities around the world.
Tenure Track Researcher In Ecophysiology And Conservation Of Fishes , ;, Denmark, 10 days ago
Applications are invited for a Research Scientist position in Ecophysiology and Conservation of Fishes, in Denmark. A Researcher position in Ecophysiology and Conservation of Fishes is available a...
Postdoc In Thermal Energy Heat Pumps And District Energy Systems , ; Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 22 hours ago
If you are establishing your career as a scientist and you are looking for the best possible foundation for fulfilling your dreams and ambitions, it is right here in front of you. We are looking f...
Postdoc In Scientific Computing: Coupling 3 D Experimental Movies With Materials Simulations , ; Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 22 hours ago
During the last 10 years we have developed a hard X-ray microscope at the European Synchrotron Radiation Source (ESRF) that for the first time can visualize how atomic-scale defects, dislocations,...
Postdoc In Modeling Of Polaronic And Ionic Diffusion In Battery Cathode Materials, Technical University Of Denmark, Denmark, 13 days ago
19 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Technical University Of Denmark Department DTU Energy Research Field Physics Chemistry Engineering Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) C...
Postdocs In Computational Modelling Of Surface Degradation And Repair Of Wind Turbine Blades , ; Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 22 hours ago
Your overall focus will be to develop and validate computational models of degradation of wind turbine blades, microplastic formation and evolution during the service time and maintenance of wind ...
Postdoc Position In Soft Robotic Tactile Perception At Sdu, Syddansk Universitet, Denmark, 11 days ago
21 Feb 2024 Job Information Organisation/Company Syddansk Universitet Research Field Computer science Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Country Denmark Application Deadline 21 Mar 2024...