4 Sep 2023
Copenhagen Business School
department of accounting
- Research Field
- Researcher Profile
Recognised Researcher (R2)
- Application Deadline
1 Nov 2023 - 23:59 (Europe/Copenhagen)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Offer Starting Date
1 Dec 2023
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
Copenhagen Business School invites applicants for a PhD position in Auditing. We especially invite PhD proposals that suggest novel approaches to the study of
- The value of audit and other assurance services to inform discussions about, for example, the future of audit, auditor reporting and audit exemption (regulation of SME-audits).
- Emerging technologies in auditing to develop understanding of whether and how auditing actually becomes more effective and more efficient through automated processes and the application of technology.
- Sustainability assurance to provide insights into how, and with which consequences, auditors (or other assurance practitioners) provide assurance on climate-related and other sustainability matters.
- Regulator-auditor interaction to address problems and potential pathways in public oversight practices, including (but not limited to) the role of firm-level oversight practices, dialogue as well as the role of ad hoc regulatory investigations alongside routine quality inspections.
- Client-auditor interactions to focus on the governance role of audit committees and how and when auditor-audit committee interactions produce desirable effects and when they might have unintended consequences.
- Auditing in the context of audit firm organization and governance to provide understanding of how increasingly intense and sophisticated audit firm-level systems (e.g. quality management, incentive systems, performance measurement as well as culture/tone-at-the-top) operate to manage and control behavior within audit firms.
The project should speak to contemporary concerns in auditing, and aim to contribute to public, professional and company level debates. Thus, the PhD must be energized from engaging with firms and professionals as part of the research and the research dissemination and we encourage proposals to demonstrate potential for engagement.
The PhD position is at the department of accounting. The PhD will work in close collaboration with the supervisors and benefit from the international research environment at the department of accounting and at CBS. This project is eligible for financial support for fieldwork, data collection and register data. It is expected that the student will be supervised by Professor Thomas Riise Johansen (firstname.lastname@example.org ) and a second supervisor depending on research topic and methods. Candidates are strongly encouraged to contact Thomas for informal discussions and information about the position before submitting the application.
The three-year PhD programme at CBS allows you to conduct research under the supervision of CBS professors, supported by research training courses. The programme is highly international, and you are expected to participate in international research conferences and to spend time abroad as a visiting PhD student.
Copenhagen Business School has a broad commitment to the excellence, distinctiveness and relevance of its teaching and research programmes. Candidates who wish to join CBS should demonstrate enthusiasm for working in an organisation of this type (highlighting, for example, relevant business, educational and dissemination activities).
CBS PhD graduates are held in high esteem not only in academia and research institutions but also in government and business where their research qualifications are in high demand.
To be considered the applicant must
- have a basic education at master's level (corresponding to 3-year bachelor degree, 180 ECTS points, and 2-year master degree, 120 ECTS points, or equivalent qualifications)
- have received the grade of 10 (or equivalent) for the master's thesis according to the Danish 7-point grading scale (https://eng.uvm.dk/primary-and-lower-secondary-education/the-folkeskole/7-point-grading-scale )
- have completed the master's programme before starting the PhD programme at CBS
- master academic English at a high level in writing and speaking
The application (see link below) must include a five-page project description. The project description must include:
- a presentation of an original research question
- a description of the initial theoretical framework and method
- a presentation of the proposed empirical material
- a work plan for the three years
More information can be found here: https://www.cbs.dk/en/research/phd-programmes/admission .
In addition to the project description, copies of the following must be included:
- diploma for bachelor's and master's degree or other certificates at an equivalent level as well as the grade transcripts
- a concise curriculum vitae (CV)
- a list of articles and publications (if applicable)
- one example of a selected written work (e.g. master's thesis)
The PhD student is enrolled in the CBS PhD School. Further information about PhD scholarships and the PhD programme can be found at https://www.cbs.dk/en/research/phd-programme .
For further information please contact Prof. Thomas Riise Johansen, email@example.com . Information about the department can be found at www.cbs.dk/en .
Employment and salary
A PhD scholarship runs for a period of three years, and includes teaching obligations equivalent to six months’ work (840 work hours). The scholarships are fully salaried positions, according to the national Danish collective agreement. The monthly salary is currently approximately DKK 28,897 op til DKK 34,898 depending on seniority and a pension contribution totalling 17.1%. The scholarship includes tuition fees, office space, course and travel costs (according to the current CBS agreement).
Salary level and employment take place in accordance with the Ministry of Finance's agreement with the Academics' Central Organization.
The Recruitment Committee shortlists at least two-five applicants to be assessed by the Assessment Committee. Applicants are informed whether their application has proceeded for assessment.
Applicants selected for assessment will be notified about the composition of the Assessment Committee and will receive their personal assessment later. Selected applicants will be invited for an interview. Please note that a positive assessment does not automatically result in an interview.
Once the recruitment process is completed each applicant will be notified of the outcome of their application.
The application must be sent via the online link below.
Copenhagen Business School must receive all application material, including all appendices (see above), by the application deadline.
Details about Copenhagen Business School are available at www.cbs.dk/en
Application due: 01-11-2023
WE TRANSFORM SOCIETY WITH BUSINESS
CBS is a globally recognised business school with deep roots in the Nordic socio-economic model. We have a broad focus on business and societal challenges of the 21st century. As such we have a full portfolio of high-quality disciplinary and interdisciplinary research and education that has equipped generations of professionals and leaders in the private sector and beyond.
Located at Frederiksberg, Denmark, the school has approx. 21.000 full and part-time students, 760 full-time faculty members, 210 PhD students and 680 administrative staff, and a full portfolio of Bachelor, Master’s, MBA/EMBA, PhD and Executive programmes delivered in English and Danish.
Our global profile carries the obligation to develop the transformational capabilities of students, graduates and business leaders via our educational activities and opportunities for lifelong learning. Complex challenges call for joint action, and therefore our strategy focuses on strengthening current and starting new partnerships with other sciences, the business community, authorities and civil society.
- Research Field
- Education Level
- Master Degree or equivalent
- Number of offers available
- Copenhagen Business School
Where to apply
Solbjerg Plads 3
- Postal Code
Assistant Professor In Accounting At The Department Of Accounting, Copenhagen Business School , CBS, Denmark, about 13 hours ago
Copenhagen Business School invites applications for one or more vacant Assistant Professorship (s) in Accounting at the Department of Accounting. Core research areas of the Department are (1) fina...
International Tenure Track Assistant Professorship In Digitalization, Copenhagen Business School , CBS, Denmark, about 13 hours ago
Copenhagen Business School invites applications for one or more vacant Assistant Professorship (s) in Digitalization at the Department of Digitalization. It is the ambition of the Department to br...
Assistant Professorship In Japanese Business At Cbs, Copenhagen Business School , CBS, Denmark, about 13 hours ago
Copenhagen Business School invites applications for a vacant Assistant Professorship in Japanese Business at the Department of International Economics, Government and Business. EGB is a multidisci...
International Tenure Track Assistant Professorships In Data Science And Cybersecurity, Copenhagen Business School , CBS, Denmark, about 13 hours ago
International Tenure Track Assistant Professorships in Data Science and Cybersecurity Copenhagen Business School invites applications for one or more vacant Tenure Track Assistant Professorships i...
Student Assistant For Working In Entrepreneurship Research And Teaching, Copenhagen Business School , CBS, Denmark, about 13 hours ago
Department of Business Humanities and Law (BHL) at Copenhagen Business School is looking to hire a Student Assistant for working in entrepreneurship research and teaching. The Department of Busine...
Ph.D Fellow In Forensic Pathology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 18 hours ago
The Department of Forensic Medicine, Section of Forensic Pathology and Clinical Forensic Medicine, Faculty of Health Science at University of Copenhagen is offering a Ph.D- scholarship commencing ...