- PhD students at Arts, Aarhus University.
Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis, though priority is given to PhD students from the Faculty of Arts, Aarhus University.
Careful preparation and clear communication are key to delivering a successful conference presentation in an international context. This course aims to provide PhD students with insight into the key characteristics of effective academic oral presentations, as well as with knowledge and tools to develop skills and confidence in communicating research-related material in English.
After completing the course, students should
- Be able to apply rhetorical strategies to the preparation and delivery of academic presentation
- Be able to evaluate and write conference abstracts
- Be able to use appropriate linguistic strategies and techniques to deliver clear and engaging academic presentations in English
- Have improved their overall ability to deliver conference presentations in English
Content and format
This is a skills-oriented course on preparing and delivering conference presentations.
- The first two sessions focus on applying a rhetorical approach to effective academic presentations as well as on appropriate English language skills for presentations. The main emphasis is on strategies and techniques for successfully preparing, organizing, and delivering presentations, including writing the conference abstract, as well as for communicating effectively in English in academic contexts.
- The third session is an optional workshop in which students work on their argumentation and abstracts by means of peer and instructor feedback.
- The fourth session gives students the opportunity to deliver short academic presentations and to receive peer and instructor feedback.
The teaching methods include a combination of teacher presentations, class and small group discussion, short exercises, and individual practice presentations followed by peer and teacher feedback.
Students will receive access to the course site and the pre-course readings and assignments in Blackboard.
Successful completion requirements
Students are required to actively participate in all the sessions, read several short chapters and articles, complete several short assignments, and prepare, discuss, revise, and deliver a 10-minute academic presentation to receive full credit for the course.
Minimum/Maximum enrolment is: 6-12
Registration for the course: See under Link
You must attend all 4 days. Attendance is mandatory.
Program Manager, Marketing, American University in Cairo, Egypt, 23 days ago
Purpose: this position is a first line management position responsible for managing the successful development and execution of best-in-class marketing and sales programs. It includes analyzing t...
Full Time Instructor Health Information Technology, Blinn College, United States, 9 days ago
Posting Details VEVRRA Federal Contractor - Priority referral protected veterans requested. Requisition Number 2020057F Position Title Full-Time Instructor - Health Information Technology Salary R...
Learning Advisor (Academic Skills), Lincoln University, New Zealand, about 4 hours ago
Description Learning Teaching and Library is inviting expressions of interest from suitably qualified staff on campus to fill a short term part time role in the Academic and Career Skills team. T...
Academic Advisor Support, Academic Advising Center (Casual), American University in Cairo, Egypt, 8 days ago
Reports to: Director, Academic Advising Center Purpose: Advise and guide undeclared students according to their academic path by providing adequate information about AUC’s academic programs, poli...
Assistant Professor Department Of Pharmacognosy, Faculty of Pharmacy and Biochemistry University of Zagreb, Croatia, 18 days ago
In the application form, applicants must provide personal information: name and surname, address, telephone number, e-mail address, and the title of the job for which they are applying. The applic...
Associate Professor Of Film And Media In Education, NTNU Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway, 4 days ago
About the position The Department of Teacher Education is announcing a permanent full-time position as Associate Professor of Film and Media in Education. The position is based in the Section for ...