Conference Presentations: Preparation and Delivery
Centre for Teaching Development and Digital Media
- PhD students at Arts, Aarhus University.
Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis, though priority is given to PhD students from the Faculty of Arts, Aarhus University.
Careful preparation and clear communication are key to delivering a successful conference presentation in an international context. This course aims to provide PhD students with insight into the key characteristics of effective academic oral presentations, as well as with knowledge and tools to develop skills and confidence in communicating research-related material in English.
After completing the course, students should
- Be able to apply rhetorical strategies to the preparation and delivery of academic presentation
- Be able to evaluate and write conference abstracts
- Be able to use appropriate linguistic strategies and techniques to deliver clear and engaging academic presentations in English
- Have improved their overall ability to deliver conference presentations in English
Content and format
This is a skills-oriented course on preparing and delivering conference presentations.
- The first two sessions focus on applying a rhetorical approach to effective academic presentations as well as on appropriate English language skills for presentations. The main emphasis is on strategies and techniques for successfully preparing, organizing, and delivering presentations, including writing the conference abstract, as well as for communicating effectively in English in academic contexts.
- The third session is an optional workshop in which students work on their argumentation and abstracts by means of peer and instructor feedback.
- The fourth session gives students the opportunity to deliver short academic presentations and to receive peer and instructor feedback.
The teaching methods include a combination of teacher presentations, class and small group discussion, short exercises, and individual practice presentations followed by peer and teacher feedback.
Students will receive access to the course site and the pre-course readings and assignments in Blackboard.
Successful completion requirements
Students are required to actively participate in all the sessions, read several short chapters and articles, complete several short assignments, and prepare, discuss, revise, and deliver a 10-minute academic presentation to receive full credit for the course.
Minimum/Maximum enrolment is: 6-12
Registration for the course: See under Link
You must attend all 4 days. Attendance is mandatory.
Associate Professor In Biological Physics, University of Gothenburg, Sweden, about 9 hours ago
The Department of Physics at the University of Gothenburg is located on the main campus of Chalmers University of Technology in Gothenburg, with a total of some 80 employees. The communication rou...
Instructor/Assistant Lecturer/Lecturer/ Professor/Assistant/Associate In Healthcare Administration, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
The School of Medical Sciences (SMS) is making significant investment in new academic positions to support its strategic development within the next five years to enable the School to be a key pla...
E Learning And Digital Platforms Specialist, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Hamad Bin Khalifa University (HBKU), a member of Qatar Foundation for Education, Science, and Community Development (QF), was founded in 2010 to continue fulfilling QF’s vision of unlocking human ...
Staff Nurse Paediatric Short Stay Unit, Maternity Cover, Fixed Term, King's College Hospital, United Kingdom, about 12 hours ago
King’s College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust in South East London is a large teaching hospital and is at the forefront of academic and nursing excellence. We are looking to recruit a band 5 staff ...
Lecturer/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor/Professor In Applied Linguistics/Tesol, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
The University of Kurdistan Hewlêr is making significant investment in new academic positions to support its strategic development within the next five years to enable the School to be a key playe...
Assistant Professor In English Language, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Department profile: The primary mission of the Department of Language and Literature at CCQ is to provide courses in English and Arabic language to help students cope with the linguistic challenge...