17 Nov 2023
University of Copenhagen
- Research Field
Computer science » Other
- Researcher Profile
First Stage Researcher (R1)
- Application Deadline
1 Jan 2024 - 23:59 (Europe/Copenhagen)
- Type of Contract
- Job Status
- Is the job funded through the EU Research Framework Programme?
Not funded by an EU programme
- Is the Job related to staff position within a Research Infrastructure?
We are seeking a Computational Scientist with expertise in data science, bioinformatics, or computational biology to enhance our research team's capabilities in conducting top-tier metabolic research. This role is an ideal opportunity for ambitious scientists keen to apply and develop their computational expertise to the management and analysis of multimodal single-cell datasets, utilizing advanced data science and machine learning techniques. The start data is February 15, 2024, or after agreement.
Our researchers share a common purpose as they seek to transform the basic understanding of the mechanisms involved in cardiometabolic health and disease, and to accelerate this knowledge towards new prevention and treatment strategies.
The Center has around 260 employees, consisting of 21 research groups and 6 enabling biology and technology platforms, who work in a vibrant international research environment with a focus on interdisciplinary collaboration.
The Center’s research has resulted in seminal discoveries as to how genes, hormones, and environmental factors influence metabolic health and disease throughout life. You may read more about us at www.cbmr.ku.dk .
About the Pers Group
The successful candidate will work in the Pers Group at the CBMR. We conduct cutting-edge research on the molecular mechanisms underlying susceptibility to obesity and type 2 diabetes, with a particular focus on brain-centric molecular pathways. We apply advanced machine learning to data from cutting-edge variant-to-function techniques and use CRISPR-based genome engineering to uncover novel insights.
Most of our data is generated within the Pers Group or in collaboration with the Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT, with which we are affiliated. To validate our hypotheses, we employ physiologically relevant transgenic rodent models, bridging the gap between molecular discoveries and real-world therapeutic applications.
Our team comprises seven Scientists with machine learning, computer science, and bioinformatics backgrounds, as well as five Scientists with wet-lab backgrounds—all group members engage in scripting/programming on a regular basis. We are closely integrated into the CBMR and annually visit our collaborators at the Broad Institute in Boston. Please find more information about the Pers Group on CBMR’s website .
As a Computational Scientist in the Pers Group, you will be responsible for assisting our group members in the following overall tasks:
- Building and maintaining a genomic data repository to enable efficient access to and sharing of data within the research group and with collaborators.
- Development of predictive models for obesity and type 2 diabetes susceptibility using machine learning on large-scale genomic datasets.
- Integrating multi-omics data to identify novel biological mechanisms.
- Assisting with the design of experiments based on insights gleaned from computational analyses to test hypotheses in vitro and in vivo.
- Assisting with grant and manuscript preparation, particularly with the visual representation of data and statistical analysis.
- An academic Science degree in bioinformatics, computer science, systems biology, biotechnology, or similar fields
- Solid programming skills in scripting languages such as R or Python.
- Solid experience with Unix environments, job scheduling systems, and cloud computing.
- Familiarity with containerization technologies such as Docker.
- Experience in processing single-cell multiome sequencing and other single-cell data types would be ideal.
- Experience with human genetics data is highly desirable.
- Motivated and diligent, with excellent teamwork skills.
- Eager to help/train scientists of diverse backgrounds.
- Must be fluent in English for writing and speaking.
- Creative and stimulating working conditions in a dynamic and international research environment
- Highly motivated colleagues and the possibility to contribute to and co-author cutting-edge scientific publications
- Attractive employment conditions
- A centrally located workplace
Place of employment
The place of employment is the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Basic Metabolic Research, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen.
Terms of salary and employment
The employment as a staff scientist is a 3-year full-time position starting February 15, 2024, or after agreement. Employment will be as Academic Research Officer or Research Consultant in accordance with the provisions of the collective agreement between the Danish ministry of Finance and AC (the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations), with the possibility to negotiate a salary supplement based on prior experiences and qualifications.
For further questions about the job description and qualifications, please contact Associate Professor Tune H Pers at [email protected] . For questions regarding the recruitment procedure, please contact SUND HR CBMR at [email protected] .
Your application, in English, should include:
- A letter of motivation
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copies of relevant certificates of education
Please submit your application by clicking on “Apply now” below.
Application deadline: 1 January 2024 at 23:59 CET.
We reserve the right not to consider material received after the deadline, and not to consider application that to not live up to the abovementioned requirements.
The University of Copenhagen wishes to reflect the diversity of society and welcome applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.
- Research Field
- Computer science » Other
- Education Level
- Master Degree or equivalent
- Number of offers available
- University of Copenhagen
Where to apply
Postdoc In Development Of A Cellular Therapy At Re New Faculty Of Health And Medical Sciences University Of Copenhagen, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 7 days ago
The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Stem Cell Medicine, reNEW, is looking for Postdoctoral candidate to join the Jensen group starting 15 April 2024 or upon agreement. You will be part of an in...
Specialist For Cellular Glycoengineering And Inducible Gene Editing Dtu Bioengineering, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 21 days ago
Skip to main content. Profile Sign Out View More Jobs Specialist for Cellular Glycoengineering and Inducible Gene Editing - DTU Bioengineering Kgs. Lyngby, Denmark Be the First to Apply Job Descri...
Ph.D. Position In Immunology/Cancer Immunotherapy (Beltra Lab) , University of Basel, Switzerland, about 3 hours ago
The Department of Biomedicine is a joint effort between the University of Basel and the University Hospitals Basel. It unites basic and clinical scientists to advance our understanding of health a...
Research Associate Ii Metabolic Research, City of Hope, United States, about 18 hours ago
Thank you for your interest. Please note, the purpose of this posting is to recruit for on-going and future positions. Join the forefront of groundbreaking research at the Beckman Research Instit...
Staff Scientist In Bacterial Anaerobic Cell Wall Metabolism , Umeå University, Sweden, about 6 hours ago
Umeå University is one of Sweden’s largest higher education institutions with over 37,000 students and about 4,700 employees. The University offers a diversity of high-quality education and world-...
Research Specialist In Computational And/Or Cell Biology (Permanent Position), Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, about 11 hours ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? The Department of Cell and Molecular Biology (CMB) is situated in the new Biomedicum building at Karolinska Institutet. Biomedicum is a c...