The Department of Nordic Studies and Linguistics, Faculty of Humanities, University of Copenhagen (UCPH), Denmark, invites applications for a three-year associate professorship in Contemporary Faroese culture and society to be filled by 1 April 2021, or as soon as possible thereafter.
The position is based at the Department of Nordic Studies and Linguistics (NorS), a teaching and research institute whose principle focus is on Nordic written heritage from ancient times to the present, as well as media and gender studies. On the linguistic side, areas of study at the Department include historical linguistics/language history, grammar, psychology of language, cognitive linguistics, sociolinguistics, language evolution, dialectology, name research, neurolinguistics, audiology, computational linguistics/natural language processing, language change and data science cf. https://nors.ku.dk/ and https://nors.ku.dk/english/
The primary focus of the associate professorship and accompanying PhD fellowship will be the current humanistic recontextualisation of the Faroe Islands through contemporary cultural and linguistic manifestations within art, culture, language, literature, film etc. Emphasis will therefore be less on historical ties and the common Nordic heritage, and more on humanistic issues/themes that reflect the new Faroese context.
A key element in the development of this new research field will be the exchange of researchers and students with a view to strengthening collaboration through joint research projects and education initiatives.
The position includes both research and teaching duties, as well as relevant dissemination activities and administration and development tasks.
The Associate Professor will be involved in teaching, supervision and examination which is part of the study programme in Danish, but teaching across the department’s programmes may occur. The successful applicant must be able to undertake teaching and supervision at all levels from BA to PhD.
The Associate Professor must also be able to participate in the general work of the department, such as participation in assessment committees, applications for research funding and management of research projects.
Appointment as Associate Professor requires academic qualifications corresponding to at least those that can be obtained on the basis of a satisfactory period of employment as an Assistant Professor or the equivalent.
Applicants are expected to document research at an international level.
Emphasis will be placed on the following professional and personal qualifications:
- The applicant’s scholarly contribution, academic breadth and depth. Scholarly production is expected to be at an international level, and the applicant must demonstrate the potential to make a significant contribution to his or her field in the future. Research qualifications are seen in relation to both the period of active research and the degree of originality and scope of the applicant’s scholarly production, e.g. the number of national and international publications in peer-reviewed journals or highly ranked publications from internationally recognised publishers.
- Research management and experience with research applications.
- Experience with research funding applications and research project management.
- Documented teaching qualifications, including the ability to teach in Danish and English. See the faculty’s educational pedagogical charter under: https://hum.ku.dk/paedagogiskcharter/
- Applicants are also encouraged to read the University of Copenhagen’s guidelines for the teaching portfolio.
- Experience in disseminating research findings in the media and to the general public.
- Documented administrative qualifications.
Six overall criteria apply for Associate Professor appointments at the University of Copenhagen. The six criteria (research, teaching, societal impact, organisational contribution, external funding and leadership) constitute the framework for the overall assessment of candidates.
You can read more about the UCPH criteria here: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/criteria-for-recognising-merit/
Read more about criteria for appointing Associate Professors here: https://jobportal.ku.dk/videnskabelige-stillinger/kriterier-for-videnskabelige-stillinger/dokumenter-til-meritering/5b_Criteria_for_recognising_merit_-Associate_professors.pdf
Within a reasonable period of time (max. 2 years), non-Danish-speaking appointees are expected to acquire proficiency in Danish sufficient to be able to interact with colleagues and students.
Submit the application online in Adobe PDF or Word format. ZIP-files cannot be uploaded.
Please click on the “Apply now” icon at the bottom of the page.
The application must be written in English, and must include the following:
- Application letter/cover letter
- Documentation of qualifications (examination certificates/PhD diploma etc.).
- Complete and numbered list of publications. The enclosed publications must be marked with an asterisk (*).
- Research plan, including a short description of previous research and a plan for the coming years that includes an account of involvement in organising research, establishment of research seminars, symposia and congresses etc.
- Teaching portfolio. Documentation of teaching qualifications and research dissemination (organisation of classes, materials, courses and other forms of teaching). For more information regarding the expected contents of the teaching portfolio, applicants are encouraged to read the University guidelines for teaching portfolios when appointing academic staff at the University of Copenhagen and here: https://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/job-application-portfolio/
- Publications. Applicants may choose a maximum of five publications for assessment, of which at least three must have been published within the five years immediately preceding the deadline for applications. Publication dates must be clearly marked on the publication list. The publications selected must be uploaded as attachments and named from 1 to 5.
- Recommendations (upload under other relevant material)
Should any material submitted consist of work with named co-authors, or work that is otherwise the result of collective academic endeavours, the extent of the applicant’s contribution to the work must be clearly stipulated. The Faculty may ask for a signed statement from the co-authors stipulating the extent and nature of each individual’s contribution.
Only material in a Scandinavian language or English will be assessed.
After the application deadline, the head of department selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Appointment Committee. All applicants are then immediately notified whether their application has been accepted for assessment. The Dean subsequently appoints an expert assessment committee tasked with carrying out an assessment of the selected applicants for the specific post. Selected applicants are notified of the composition of the committee. Applicants are ultimately offered the opportunity of commenting on the part of the assessment relating to themselves before the appointment is finalised.
Applicants will be continuously informed about the recruitment process progress by e-mail.
Further information about the procedure is available from HR Rikke Dall, please refer to ID NO: 211-0289/20-2E
For further information about the position, please contact Head of Department, Anne Jensen, e-mail: email@example.com .
Salary and conditions of employment
Terms of appointment and salary will be in accordance with an agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC). The salary range starts at DKK 40,145 (EUR 5,389) + a 17,1 % contribution to the pension scheme. It is possible to negotiate salary supplements on an annual basis.
The Danish Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (AC) have further agreed on a protocol that makes it possible for international researchers employed by the University to achieve a pension exemption, whereby the pension contribution will be paid out as salary. For more information about the different pension schemes, please see https://ism.ku.dk/onarrival/pension/
A special tax scheme is offered to researchers recruited abroad, https://ism.ku.dk/onarrival/
If you consider applying from abroad, you may find useful information on how it is to work in Denmark and at UCPH.
See : http://ism.ku.dk , http://www.nyidanmark.dk/en-us/frontpage.htm
UCPH wishes to encourage everyone interested in this post to apply, regardless of personal background.
The closing date for applications is December 10th 2020, 23:59 CET.
Applications or supplementary material received thereafter will not be considered.
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.
Postdoctoral Position In Asian Studies , University of Copenhagen ;, Denmark, 13 days ago
The Asian Dynamics Initiative and the Nordic Institute of Asian Studies, University of Copenhagen (UCPH), invite candidates for a postdoctoral position in Asian Studies. The field of specialism is...
Dawn Postdoctoral Fellowship, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, about 9 hours ago
The Cosmic Dawn Center (DAWN) invites applications for the DAWN Fellowship. The fellowships are intended for outstanding early career scientists whose research falls within DAWN’s research themes:...
Postdoc Positions In Translational Disease Systems Biology At The Novo Nordisk Foundation Center..., University of Copenhagen (UCPH), Denmark, 12 days ago
Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Protein Research has currently 1-3 postdoc positions available in the Translational Disease Systems Biology group (CPR – www.cpr.ku.dk ) The Center was establish...
Post Doctoral Research Fellow In Mathematics Education , University of Agder, Norway, 2 days ago
Post-Doctoral Research Fellow in Mathematics Education Apply for this job See advertisement About the position A fixed-term 100 % position is available at the University of Agder, Faculty of Engin...
14 Postdoctoral Fellowships For The Bridge – Translational Excellence Programme (# Of Pos: 14), University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 12 days ago
BRIDGE – Translational Excellence Programme The Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences at the University of Copenhagen is seeking 14 highly motivated and dynamic postdoc fellows to commence the BR...
Postdocs In Organization, Innovation And Climate Change, Copenhagen Business School , CBS, Denmark, about 4 hours ago
Copenhagen Business School invites applications for 3 postdoc positions in the field of organizational analysis, innovation and climate change. Expected starting dates are to be agreed upon. The p...