The Department of Biomedicine at Faculty of Health at Aarhus University invites applications for one or more positions as Associate Professor as per 1 December 2023 or as soon as possible thereafter. The position is a permanent full-time position.
We are looking for scientists with medical research background who sees opportunities in collaboration with the existing strong research groups at Aarhus University and Aarhus University Hospital as well as abroad.
The Department of Biomedicine provides research-based teaching of the highest quality and is responsible for a large part of the medical degree programme. All academic staff contribute to the teaching in the various teaching teams at the department. English is the preferred language in the laboratory, at meetings and at seminars. The department employs approx. 500 people from all over the world, and they make use of the department's modern laboratory-, core- and animal facilities. The Department of Biomedicine focuses on innovation, entrepreneurship and collaboration with business and industry, and numerous researchers from the department have established companies to develop new medicinal treatments founded in strong scientific basic research. The Department of Biomedicine prioritizes diversity and a good work environment, as this is a prerequisite for groundbreaking research and good teaching. You can read more about the department here and about the faculty here .
Your job responsibilities As Associate Professor at the Department of Biomedicine, you will contribute to the department’s research and teaching environment and to the faculty’s overall teaching and research strategy. You will contribute to the development of the department both independently and in collaboration with others via your research of high international quality. You ensure that your teaching maintains a high academic and didactic standard. You possess excellent collaborative skills and a broad academic network which you are able to bring into play in your contribution to the academic development of Aarhus University and its profile both nationally and internationally.
Your main tasks will consist of:
- Research of high international quality, including publication in top international journals and communicating your research in national and international academic networks.
- Dedicated participation in teaching, examination and supervision of Bachelor’s and Master's degree students and contribution to the development of new teaching activities.
- Attracting external research funding.
- Supervision of PhD students and contributing to the development of the faculty's PhD courses.
- Involvement in assessment and committee work at Aarhus University.
- Dissemination of your research to the outside world.
An attractive start package can be negotiated.
You will report to the Head of Department of Biomedicine.
Your competences You have established yourself as a prominent researcher within biomedical research and you possess solid research and teaching qualifications at a high international level. You have broad international cooperative partnerships and experience of research partnerships with private and public-sector stakeholders, and you have potential of becoming a successful group leader. At the same time, you have experience of attracting significant competitive research funding from national and international funding bodies.
As a person, you are dedicated and possess excellent communication skills. You are able to build relationships based on trust with students, colleagues and partners. As a lecturer, you communicate the newest and relevant knowledge in a committed, clear and comprehensible manner. As a supervisor, you are competent, inspiring and supportive.
You are ready to take co-responsibility for the development of the department's research and education at the highest international level and for ensuring that we maintain a good work environment. You naturally involve yourself in interdisciplinary collaboration at departmental, faculty and university level as well as nationally and internationally.
We expect you to be fluent in oral and written English. International applicants are expected to learn Danish as most teaching at the department is conducted in Danish. Aarhus University arranges Danish teaching.
In order to be assessed as qualified for an Associate Professor position, you must meet these academic criteria .
Shortlisting will be used.
Questions about the position If you have any questions about the position, please contact Head of Department of Biomedicine Thomas G. Jensen, tel.: (+45) 2778 2805.
We expect to conduct interviews 13-15 September 2023.
Terms of employment
- Appointment as an associate professor requires research and teaching qualifications at the level that can be achieved through the satisfactory completion of a period of appointment as an assistant professor, but may also be obtained in other ways.
- The applicant is required to have completed a university pedagogical programme or an equivalent programme.
- Further information on the appointment procedure can be found in the Ministerial Order on the Appointment of Academic Staff at Universities .
- The appointment is in accordance with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations (Akademikerne).
- Remuneration is in accordance with the above, and the Salary agreement catalogue for staff at Health .
- The yearly base salary for a fulltime associate professor is DKK 637.788,18 (including a position related supplement, a pre-agreed associate professor supplememt and pension (17.1%)). Additional supplement(s) can be negotiated dependent on experience, special qualifications and performance of special functions. Authorisation supplement(s) will be granted, if relevant for the position. Your local eligible trade union representative at Aarhus University negotiates your salary on your behalf.
- Researchers recruited from abroad are offered a special researcher tax scheme with a lower tax rate.
- Travel and moving expenses may be covered according to the employee in question and, to a limited extent, the accompanying family.
- Further information on qualification requirements and job description can be found in the Ministerial order on Job Structure for Academic Staff at Universities .
Application Your application must include the following:
- Motivated application
- Curriculum Vitae
- Template for applicant - associate professor
- A list of publications
- A teaching portfolio. We refer to Guideline on the use of teaching portfolios
- The five publications stated as the most important in the 'Template for applicant - associate professor' must be submitted
- Strategic research plan, which is part of the 'Template to applicant - associate professor' can be uploaded separately (optional)
- Coauthor statement(s) can be uploaded (optional)
- References/recommendations can be uploaded separately in the e-recruitment system (optional)
We refer to the faculty’s Guidelines for applicants .
The assessment committee may decide to include non-submitted material in its statement. In such cases, you will be informed and obliged to submit material, unless your application is withdrawn.
Aarhus University’s ambition is to be an attractive and inspiring workplace for all and to foster a culture in which each individual has opportunities to thrive, achieve and develop. We view equality and diversity as assets, and we welcome all applicants.
Letter of reference If you want a referee to upload a letter of reference on your behalf, please state the referee’s contact information when you submit your application. We strongly recommend that you make an agreement with the person in question before you enter the referee’s contact information, and that you ensure that the referee has enough time to write the letter of reference before the application deadline.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to ensure that letters of reference received after the application deadline will be taken into consideration.
Aarhus University offers a broad variety of services for international researchers and accompanying families, including relocation service and career counselling to expat partners. Please find more information about entering and working in Denmark here .
15 March 2023
The application must be submitted via Aarhus University’s recruitment system, which can be accessed under the job advertisement on Aarhus University's website.
Aarhus University is an academically diverse and research-intensive university with a strong commitment to high-quality research and education and the development of society nationally and globally. The university offers an inspiring research and teaching environment to its 38,000 students (FTEs) and 8,000 employees, and has an annual revenues of EUR 885 million. Learn more at www.international.au.dk/
Full Professor / Associate Professor In Water Technology And Engineering At The Department Of Bio..., Aarhus University (AU), Denmark, 18 days ago
The Department of Biological and Chemical Engineering at Aarhus University is currently expanding activities within water technology, to strengthen research, educational capacity and innovation in...
Fixed Term Assistant Professorship In Macrogenomics Of Mammals, Aarhus University (AU), Denmark, 16 days ago
The Department of Biology at Aarhus University invites applications for an assistant professor position in macrogenomics of mammals. The assistant professorship is a fixed-term two-year position s...