The SDU Biorobotics section at the Maersk Mc-Kinney Moller Institute (MMMI), University of Southern Denmark in Odense seeks to recruit an assistant professor with expertise in soft robotics and bioinspired locomotion. The chosen applicant will be employed under the Center for Soft Robotics.
MMMI is an internationally recognized institute, which has maintained a leading position in robotics for more than three decades. The institute is the origin of robotics research in Denmark and has spawned the world-renowned cluster of robotics in Odense with more than 140 robotics companies, including Universal Robots and Mobile Industrial Robots. Learn more about our institute at https://www.sdu.dk/mmmi .
The current research program of SDU Biorobotics focuses, inter alia, on bio-inspired and biomimetic robotics, in which Nature's exploitation of unconventional principles is of considerable interest. The Center for Soft Robotics research is characterized by a high degree of interdisciplinarity aimed at a systems level approach to soft robots, building on diverse expertise in embodied artificial intelligence, bioinspired design, aesthetics, and human-robot interaction. The research program seeks to elucidate appropriate design criteria for soft robots; how well-adapted soft bodies can be designed and deployed for given tasks, including collaboration with humans; how electronics and computing can be integrated into soft robotic solutions; and how local and distal sensing can be exploited in different environments. Learn more about the center at
About the position:
Are you a dedicated researcher and educator with a passion for soft robotics and biorobotics for a sustainable future? SDU Biorobotics eagerly awaits an outstanding individual to join our vibrant department as an Assistant Professor.
The ideal candidate will possess a strong research track record in the field of soft robotics, complemented by a proven background in teaching biorobotics, soft robotics, and mechatronics. We are looking for someone with profound expertise in the development of soft robots for various applications, including locomotion, manipulation, wearables, and human-robot interaction (HRI). Active collaboration with international, interdisciplinary research teams is highly valued and will be considered a significant asset. We warmly invite applications from aspirants with a multidisciplinary background. In addition to your expertise in soft robotics, candidates with knowledge in bioinspired locomotion and a proven track record in integrated sustainable robot design are encouraged to apply. Areas of interest are incorporating sustainable and renewable materials into soft robots, developing robots for green production, and advancing environmental monitoring and preservation through bioinspired locomotion in challenging environments. If you're a visionary researcher and educator with a passion for soft robotics and the desire to make a significant positive impact in the future of our planet, we encourage you to apply.
The preferred starting date is April 1st , 2024, or soon thereafter.
- You should have the ability to work effectively with colleagues, fostering a vibrant exchange of ideas, and have a proven track record of successfully disseminating your work to both the scientific community and the wider public.
- You will be responsible for teaching courses related to soft robotics at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. You will also supervise master and bachelor students as they embark on their academic journeys.
- In this role, you will have the opportunity to spearhead your own line of research focused on soft robotics for sustainability. We are seeking candidates who can demonstrate their potential to secure external funding, contributing to the growth and development of an independent research group within the esteemed Center of Soft Robotics. Your leadership and innovation will be key in advancing the field.
- A position where you will be contributing to a dynamic research center with state-of-the-art facilities while working in areas of tremendous potential and societal relevance.
- A vibrant and adventurous environment comprising research and teaching at international level in robotics, applied AI, drone and autonomous system technology, games and learning technology, software engineering, and health informatics and technology.
- Tight integration into a robotic-oriented ecosystem including the renowned Odense Robotics Cluster.
- Interdisciplinary collaborations across specialized centers and external entities.
- Excellent technical facilities both at the Institute and in the wider Engineering Faculty
Conditions of employment:
The applicant should have a PhD degree within the mentioned research areas.
Employment as Assistant Professor is a fixed-term position. However, if the candidate fulfills the right conditions, a tenure track position can be negotiated.
The successful applicants will be employed in accordance with the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. Please check link for more information on salary and taxation .
The assessment process:
Read about the Assessment and selection process . Shortlisting may be used.
The faculty expects applicants to read How to apply before applying.
The application must be in English and must include:
- A motivational cover letter.
- A draft of your scientific research objectives indicating expectations for key questions, activities, outcomes, and potential sources of funding.
- Detailed curriculum vitae.
- Certificates/diplomas (MSc and PhD).
- Information on previous teaching and supervision experience. Please attach as Teaching Portfolio.
- List of publications and a max. of four selected research articles for consideration by the assessment committee. Please attach one pdf-file for each publication.
- Reference letters and other relevant qualifications may also be included.
The application deadline is October 22, 2023.
If you experience technical problems, you must contact firstname.lastname@example.org .
For further information please contact Head of Department Kasper Hallenborg (email: email@example.com ).
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Further information for international applicants about entering and working in Denmark.
Further information about The Faculty of Engineering.
Laboratory Technician/Manager For Soft And Biohybrid Robotics Research, ETH Zürich, Switzerland, 22 days ago
16 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company ETH Zürich Research Field Engineering » Mechanical engineering Engineering » Other Researcher Profile Established Researcher (R3) Country Switzerla...
Laboratory Technician/Manager For Soft And Biohybrid Robotics Research , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 1 hour ago
50%-70%, Zurich, fixed-term The Soft Robotics Lab seeks a highly motivated laboratory technician (50-70%) to support the group’s research in tissue engineering and robotics. The technician will wo...
Assistant Professor/Lecturer In Robotics, Maynooth University, Ireland, about 7 hours ago
We are seeking an excellent academic to join our staff as an Assistant Professor / Lecturer in the Department of Electronic Engineering to support our taught programme especially the MSc in Roboti...
Senior Research Engineer In Robotics And Artificial Intelligence, Lulea University of Technology, Sweden, about 2 hours ago
Luleå University of Technology is in strong growth with world-leading competence in several research areas. We shape the future through innovative education and ground-breaking research results, a...
Open Source Project Lead , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 1 hour ago
80%-100%, fixed-term The Industrial Robotics Group at ETH Zürich is rapidly growing and focuses on pressing challenges in robot-based manufacturing. Utilizing advanced computational methods, mach...
Research Engineer (Construction Management), NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, United Kingdom, 8 days ago
Job Description The successful candidates will contribute to research activities related to the “On-Site Modular Robot System with Taxonomy Tool Phase 1: Taxonomy Study and Tool for Robotic On-Sit...