The Department of Biology, University of Copenhagen has two assistant professor positions in Structural Biology and NMR spectroscopy available starting May 1st, 2020. The positions are for 4 years.
The positions are advertised in connection to the newly funded Novo Nordisk Foundation Challenge Centers REPIN and PRISM, as well as the Lundbeck Foundation BRAINSTRUC initiative, headed by Professors Birthe B. Kragelund and Kresten Lindorff-Larsen. The Centers connects international research groups to study the structural biology of proteins using a range of biophysical methods, including NMR spectroscopy, small angle X-ray scattering and molecular simulations. The candidates’ research interests and experience should allow for contributing to the further developments of the Centers.
The assistant professors’ duties will primarily include research, including obligations with regard to publication/scientific communication and research-based teaching with associated examination obligations within protein science. To a limited extent this may also include performance of other duties.
The candidates will be expected to conduct research within structural biology, including:
- Protein structure, dynamics and interactions, with special focus on intrinsically disordered proteins and their interactions
- Acquisition, processing and analysis of multidimensional heteronuclear protein NMR spectra
- Application and analysis of other biophysical techniques, including SAXS and optical spectroscopy
- Integrating experiments and molecular simulations using Bayesian/Maximum Entropy methods
- PhD in biochemistry, biophysics, protein science or a closely related field
- Strong background in recording and analyzing data from protein NMR spectroscopy
- Strong experience in integrative structural biology including advanced molecular dynamics methods
- Documented experience with SAXS analysis and optical spectroscopy
- Documented knowledge of, and experience with, membrane proteins and intrinsically disordered proteins
- Experience with protein expression and purification is considered an advantage
- Experience with interdisciplinary research coordination on a national and international level
- Evidence of potential to develop a successful independent, externally funded research program in protein biophysics
- Excellent scientific track record demonstrated by high-quality publications in peer reviewed journals
- Documented interest in organizational work and development of research leadership skills is considered an advantage
- Some teaching experience, such as serving as a teaching assistant or instructor as well as supervision of students (PhD, Msc, BSc level)
- Excellent communication skills in both written and spoken English
Further information on the Department is linked at http://www.science.ku.dk/english/about-the-faculty/organisation/ . Inquiries about the position can be made to Professor Birthe Brandt Kragelund (email: firstname.lastname@example.org ) or Professor Kresten Lindorff-Larsen, (email; email@example.com ).
The positions are open from May 1st 2020or as soon as possible thereafter.
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Terms of employment
The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
The starting salary is currently up to DKK 434.179 including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 74.244). Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
The application, in English, must be submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW below.
- Curriculum vita (max. 2 pages)
- Diplomas (Master and PhD degree or equivalent)
- Research plan – description of current and future research plans (max. 3 pages)
- If available, description and documentation of teaching and supervision experience and qualifications- please describe and document (max. 2 pages):
- Experience with supervision of BSc and MSc students
- Teaching experience
- Formal pedagogical training
- Complete publication list (peer-reviewed papers and preprints)
- Separate reprints of 5 particularly relevant papers
The deadline for application is 23rd of December 2019 23:59 GMT + 1.
After the expiry of the deadline for applications, the authorized recruitment manager selects applicants for assessment on the advice of the Interview Committee.
You can read about the recruitment process at http://employment.ku.dk/faculty/recruitment-process/ .
Part of the International Alliance of Research Universities (IARU), and among Europe’s top-ranking universities, the University of Copenhagen promotes research and teaching of the highest international standard. Rich in tradition and modern in outlook, the University gives students and staff the opportunity to cultivate their talent in an ambitious and informal environment. An effective organisation – with good working conditions and a collaborative work culture – creates the ideal framework for a successful academic career.
Structures And Mechanisms Of Cellular And Viral Noncoding Rn As And Rn Ps, National Institutes of Health, United States, 14 days ago
National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, Bethesda, MD and surrounding area Position Description: A postdoctoral position is available in the Structural Biology of Noncodin...
Lead Scientist Protein Biochemistry , Technische Universität München, Germany, about 6 hours ago
15.01.2020, Wissenschaftliches Personal We are looking for a protein biochemist for the pre-clinical development of alphaSEPT: a novel signaling molecule within the human immune system. It is a po...
Professor Of Histology, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, about 19 hours ago
- with focus on research Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? The department of Medical Biochemistry and Biophysics (MBB) is one of 22 departments at Karolinska Institutet, a...
Molecular And Cellular Basis Of Protein Quality Control And Protein Misfolding Diseases, National Institutes of Health, United States, about 15 hours ago
The Henry M. Jackson Foundation for the Advancement of Military Medicine (HJF), Bethesda, Maryland Position Description: Postdoctoral Fellow to support research in the laboratory of Dr. Prasanna S...
Structural Bioinformatics And [Onco]Genomics , National Institutes of Health, United States, about 15 hours ago
Position Description: A postdoctoral (or research fellow) position in the Laboratory of Cell Biology (NCI) is available to study molecular mechanisms of chromatin organization and gene regulation....
Cell Biologist, National Institutes of Health, United States, about 15 hours ago
Position Description: The Ramamurthi lab in the Laboratory of Molecular Biology in the National Cancer Institute studies cell growth, differentiation, and division in bacterial model systems (main...