Apply no later than 28 June 2017
Apply for the job at DTU Civil Eng by completing the following form.
DTU Civil Engineering invites applications for a position as Assistant Professor within the multi-disciplinary field of Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering. Additionally, the candidates should be actively engaged and collaborate with the recently established Danish HydroCarbon Research and Technology Centre (DHRTC) to advance relevant research for onshore and offshore structures and commit fundraising activities.
DTU Civil Engineering is composed of six sections, where the Section for Structural Engineering comprises both traditional and contemporary structural engineering disciplines. The successful candidate is anticipated to contribute to the Department’s Structural Engineering program and demonstrate enthusiasm for collaborative and interdisciplinary research.
Responsibilities and tasks
Candidates are expected to develop strong collaborative, innovative and multi-disciplinary research activities, while they should contribute to teaching in areas including: (i) earthquake engineering, (ii) seismic design of structural systems as well as (iii) structural dynamics and random vibrations. Moreover, the successful candidate is expected to engage heavily in fundraising activities targeted towards this field of research.
Teaching is anticipated to be provided at both undergraduate and graduate levels. Consistent advising and supervision of BEng, BSc and MSc students constitute also core responsibilities that the candidates should efficiently undertake. The distribution between the various duties may vary periodically and will be appropriately planned with the head of section. For an Assistant Professor, support and guidance to develop teaching skills and a teaching portfolio are provided by DTU in order to eventually qualify for an associate professorship.
Please note that the expected teaching at undergraduate level is primarily to be in Danish and on postgraduate level (M.Sc. or Ph.D.). English is optional. International candidates are required to take courses in Danish and be able to teach in Danish within 2-3 years.
Administrative duties include academic assessment work at all levels.
Candidates for this position
- must hold a PhD degree (or equivalent);
- should be able to demonstrate a strong potential and profile for research documented through original publications and citations in international scientific journals
- must be able to present documented teaching experience, while it is anticipated to complete DTU’s university teaching education within the first 2 years of employment;
- should be experienced in successful collaborations and research projects; and
- have to be creative, innovative and driven by scientific curiosity and willingness to collaborate with students, colleagues and external partners.
Additionally, the candidates:
- must be engaged in the analysis and design of critical civil infrastructures with emphasis on wind turbines and the assessment of their performance against a multi-hazard environment (wind, wave and earthquakes). Along these lines, collaboration with researchers from the DTU Wind Energy Department is considered beneficial.
- should have strong expertise in the seismic design of various structural systems as well as the selection and scaling techniques of earthquake strong ground motions required for the reliable estimate of seismic structural performance;
- should present strong computational skills, documented through coding and software development, in order to accommodate research activities and their dissemination.
In the assessment of the candidates, special consideration will be given to:
- experience in teaching and education,
- scientific production and research potential at an international level,
- the ability to promote and utilize research results,
- an all-round experience basis, preferably including international experience,
- the ability to contribute to development of internal and external cooperation.
DTU offers an interesting and challenging job in an international environment focusing on education, research, scientific advice and innovation, which contribute to enhancing the economy and improving social welfare. We strive for academic excellence, collegial respect, and freedom tempered by responsibility. DTU is a leading technical university of northern Europe and benchmarks with the best universities in the world.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointment will be based on the collective agreement with the Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
An assistant professorship is an entry-level faculty position. After a maximum of 4 years, the employee transfers to a permanent position as associate professor provided that the employee is recommended for assessment and assessed as qualified. Additional information can be found here: Career paths at DTU .
Further information may be obtained from the head of the Structural Engineering Section, Holger Koss, tel.: + 45 45 25 16 55, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
More details about the Department of Civil Engineering and the Structural Engineering Section can be found on http://www.byg.dtu.dk/english and http://www.se.byg.dtu.dk/ respectively.
Please submit online your application no later than 28 June 2017.
Applications must be submitted as a one pdf file containing all materials to be given consideration. To apply, please open the link “Apply online”, fill in the online application form, and attach all your materials in English in one pdf file. The file must include:
- Application (cover letter)
- Diploma (MSc/Ph.D)
- List of publications
- H-index and ORCID (see e.g., http://orcid.org/ )
- Documentation of teaching experience, if any (e.g., in the form of a teaching portfolio)
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All qualified candidates irrespectively of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
DTU Civil Engineering covers in principle all aspects of the built environment, including planning, execution, operation, maintenance, repair, and demolition of structures, buildings, and installations. The department has a scientific staff of about 80 persons, 60 PhD students, and a technical/administrative support staff of about 50 persons. You can read more about the Section for Structural Engineering here: http://www.se.byg.dtu.dk/ .
DTU is a technical university providing internationally leading research, education, innovation and scientific advice. Our staff of 5,800 advance science and technology to create innovative solutions that meet the demands of society; and our 10,600 students are being educated to address the technological challenges of the future. DTU is an independent academic university collaborating globally with business, industry, government, and public agencies.
Project Technical Scientist For Earthquake And Tsunami Forecasting System Research Group, Ceat, Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology, Japan, about 22 hours ago
Project Technical Scientist for Earthquake and Tsunami Forecasting System Research Group, CEAT Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC) Posted: 09/27/2017 Open Until: 10/31/2...
Faculty Position: Faults, Fluids, And Fluid Rock Interactions, Incorporated Research Institutions for Seismology, United States, about 22 hours ago
Faculty Position: Faults, Fluids, and Fluid-Rock Interactions Cornell University Posted: 10/20/2017 Open Until: 12/01/2017 The Department of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences (EAS) at Cornell Universit...
Assistant Professor, Earth And Enviornmental Sciences, University of New Orleans, United States, about 23 hours ago
DEPARTMENT Earth and Environmental Sciences POSITION SUMMARY The Departments of Earth and Environmental Sciences and Civil and Environmental Engineering invite applications for a dual-appointment ...
] Faults, Fluids, And Fluid Rock Interactions, , United States, about 17 hours ago
The Department of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences (EAS) at Cornell University invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position with core expertise in geological, geochemical, geophysical, or ...
Ph D Fellow In Biomass Science And Biotechnology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 9 hours ago
Department of Geoscience and Natural Resource, Faculty of Science at University of Copenhagen is offering a PhD scholarship in biomass science and biotechnology commencing 01.12.2017 or as soon as...
Postdoc Of Materials And Environmental Chemistry, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 9 hours ago
A postdoctoral position within development of magnetic iron oxide based materials for selective phosphate capture from contaminated waters such as drainage and waste waters is available from 1 Jan...