Analytical microbial natural product chemistry and biosynthesis
DTU Department of Systems Biology
General course objectives:
Microorganisms are unique sources for diverse chemistry that can be exploited in biotechnology (e.g. as pharmaceuticals) or feared as contaminants in food or feed (e.g. mycotoxins). The aim of the course is to give the students a fundamental insight into this chemical diversity produced by microorganisms and how they are analyzed. More specifically the course will introduce i) how the various types of natural products are biosynthesized; ii) the different types of unique enzymes that catalyzes their biosynthesis; iii) the nature of the underlying gene clusters; iv) how bioinformatics tools can be used to link genes to chemical structures and vice versa; v) and the analytical methods and strategies to profile, characterize and quantitate such metabolites.
A student who has met the objectives of the course will be able to:
- Define and describe the major classes of natural products (secondary metabolites).
- Recognize a common polyketide, non-ribosomal peptide or terpenoid type of natural product and predict a likely biosynthetic pathway based on a given structure and retro biosynthetic considerations.
- To predict the composition of the related biosynthetic gene cluster, based on structural analysis of a given natural product.
- Require advanced user knowledge of bioinformatic tools, such as antiSMASH, for analysis of secondary metabolite gene clusters.
- Require advance knowledge of bioinformatics tools such as BLAST, HMMer, Interproscan for prediction of enzyme activities.
- Require basic knowledge on analysis and handling of microbial whole genome sequence data.
- Require advanced skills in prediction of types of natural product based on genome analysis.
- Present one of the major pathways leading to secondary metabolites in some details.
- Explain the principles of different types of chromatography (RP, HILIC, IC) and pH considerations.
- Interpret data from mass spectrometry (spectra and chromatograms), isotope and adduct patterns, including interpretation of simple MS/MS spectra and their use in dereplication.
- Write a report and prepare a scientific presentation within a short timeframe.
With onset in microbial metabolites especially fungal, the course will focus on the following topics: a) the biochemistry of the chemodiversity in microorganisms including the biosynthesis of important classes of compounds such as polyketides, terpenoids and alkaloids; b) concept and strategies of metabolite profiling and metabolomics, c) the core analytical methodologies used for detection and analysis of natural products including LC and GC and detectors e.g. UV (diode array detection), fluorescence, evaporative light scattering and especially mass spectrometry (MS), d) data analysis of unit resolution MS and high resolution (TOF) MS atmospheric pressure ionization spectra; e) data interpretation for database searching; f) tentative identification of compounds based on LC-MS data, LogD consideration and ion-exchange sample preparation strategy, and g) Target analysis of known compounds and their metabolites based on LC-MS/MS (triple quadrupole data) including the scan functions of this instrument; h) Solid Phase Extraction (SPE) purification strategies. If possible we encourage and facilitate that the students work on their own data during the course (microbial genome sequence and natural product containing extracts). Please contact us beforehand to arrange this.
Researcher In Environmental Science (Pa2019/4387), University of Lund, Sweden, about 19 hours ago
Lund University was founded in 1666 and is repeatedly ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 40 000 students and 7 600 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are...
Researcher Position In Physiology At The Department Of Marine Science, University of Gothenburg, Sweden, about 11 hours ago
Project title: Open research position in bivalve and crustacean physiology / nutrition / neuroendocrinology Subject area Molecular Biology / Metagenomics / Biochemistry / Physiology Keywords Biva...
Program Officer Deadline 01.30.20, National Institutes of Health, United States, about 24 hours ago
The National Institute of General Medical Sciences, The National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland Position Description: The National Institute of General Medical Sciences (NIGMS) is lookin...
Technical Specialist Analytical Chemist, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Saudi Arabia, about 14 hours ago
The KAUST Analytical Chemistry Core Lab is seeking a highly motivated chemist with excellent communication skills and background in elemental analysis and chemical speciation. This Technical Speci...
Catalytic Reactions For Producing Phosphorous Based Flame Retardant Compounds, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, about 11 hours ago
(ref. BAP-2020-20) Laatst aangepast : 14/01/2020 The research team of Dirk De Vos focuses on green and sustainable chemistry, preferably realized via catalysis. We have a portfolio of EU H2020, Fl...
Associate Professor, Department Of Chemical And Petroleum Engineering, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, about 6 hours ago
Job Description The Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering (CPE) at the United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) invites application for a full-time faculty position in Chemical Engineerin...