The Synthetic Biology Tools for Yeast section at the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Biosustainability (DTU Biosustain), at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU), is seeking a skilled analytical chemist for compound identification.
DTU Biosustain is focused on developing the next generation of cell factories deploying advanced metabolic engineering techniques, and the development of bioprocesses for a sustainable production of chemicals and high value compounds.
Focus and scope
The Synthetic Biology Tools for Yeast group is focused on refactoring of plant biosynthetic pathways for human therapeutics manufacturing in microbial cells. The competencies in our laboratory, led by Prof. Jay D. Keasling and Dr. Jie Zhang, focus on the use synthetic biology to engineer microbes for production of therapeutics otherwise difficult to source. To strengthen our team’s translational R&D activities, and further advance our visions for delivery of new supply chains for bioactive natural products we seek an analytical chemist with a focus on:
- Analysis and quantification of known compounds in biological samples (targeted compound analysis/metabolite profiling)
- Analysis and relative quantification of unknown compounds in biological samples (metabolomic analysis)
- Analysis and identification of unknown compounds in biological samples (compound ID)
- Analytical method development for quantitative and quanlitative analyses in biological samples
The candidate will be responsible for developing and executing state-of-the-art compound identification with main focus on extraction, isolation and MS-based characterization of bioactive natural products, and support HR-MS analysis for mitigating metabolic engineering bottlenecks. The candidate will be affiliated with the analytical core team at DTU CfB and is expected to closely collaborate with a team of 5-10 researchers with expertise within strain engineering, biochemistry, pathway discovery, and synthetic biology. The candidate will be responsible for the daily operation of the analytical equipment. Key responsibilities will include:
- Extraction, isolation and identification of compounds from microbial sources
- GC- & LC-MS/MS method development and validation
- GC- & LC-MS/MS data analysis
- Writing and maintaining SOPs
- Setting up protocols and training other personnel to the highest standards
The ideal candidate will have:
- Significant experience working in a relevant environment (e.g. compound ID, natural products), with a solid analytical chemistry background
- Proven experience in chromatography method development, instrument maintenance, mass spectrometry & high throughput analysis
- Expertise/experience in de novo compound identification
- Experience in interpretation of complex mass spectra
- Proven ability to work creatively in a team environment
- Proactive attitude and a translational research drive
- Strong oral and written skills in English
- Experience working in biological systems
- Flexibility, enthusiasm, responsibility, team spirit and excellent collaboration skills.
- Competence and experience in natural product- and analytical chemistry techniques for chemical profiling, dereplication, isolation and identification, especially through HPLC, LC-MS, and other techniques
- Experience in software for natural product and mass data processing
What we offer in return
We offer an exciting, collaborative, hard-working, and entrepreneurial team, focusing on translational research and innovation with both societal and environmental impacts. The position offers a unique possibility of being a part of a team working on a truly translational project involving close collaboration with BDs and entrepreneurial experts. We place emphasis on a high level of professionalism in our team, so skills development and knowledge-transfer are integral parts of our agile well-resourced organization.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and an academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointments will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The job contract offered to the qualifying candidates would terminate by the end of 2022. Expected starting date: Flexible, but preferably Spring 2020.
Application and contact
Please submit your online application no later than 5 January 2020. Open the “Apply online” link, fill out the form and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file most include:
- Your motivated application (Cover letter)
- Diplomas (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications and patents
Further information may be obtained from Professor Jay D. Keasling (email@example.com ) and Dr. Jie Zhang (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
You can read more about DTU Biosustain at www.biosustain.dtu.dk
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Technology for people
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear vision to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That vision lives on today. DTU has 11,500 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. Our main campus is in Kgs. Lyngby north of Copenhagen and we have campuses in Roskilde and Ballerup and in Sisimiut in Greenland.
(Senior) Scientist Discovery Chemistry (# Of Pos: 18), Janssen Pharmaceutica N.V. (a division of Johnson &amp; Johnson Pharmaceuticals), Belgium, 3 days ago
Description - External Janssen Research & Development seeks to bring innovative and effective treatments in therapeutic areas of high unmet medical needs. The Janssen campus in Beerse, close to An...
Application Of Computational Techniques For The Identification And Development Of Novel Rhodopsin..., Università degli Studi di Siena, Italy, 7 days ago
This research project will focus on the identification of rhodopsin pharmacological chaperones, by exploiting the large chemical diversity of natural products. Structure- and ligand-based virtual ...
Chemist In Organic Chemistry, Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry ASCR, Czech, 15 days ago
Job Description A chemist position in Targeted Research Group HBV Cure (head Gabriel Birkuš, Ph.D.) is available for a highly motivated and creative scientist with expertise in organic chemistry. ...
Project Officer, Chemical Engineering/Materials Science, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 28 days ago
The Centre for Antimicrobial Bioengineering at the School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering is seeking candidates to work as Project Officer to design and synthesize new antimicrobial polymer...
Senior Scientist Assay Development To Support Our Target Discovery And Drug Discovery Teams, Scenic Biotech, Netherlands, 23 days ago
<p><strong>About Scenic Biotech</strong></p><p>At Scenic, we are pioneering the field of genetic modifiers for rare genetic diseases. Using our revolutionary target discovery platform, we can syst...
Tenure Track Assistant Professor In Chemistry Or Chemical Engineering, EPFL, Switzerland, about 21 hours ago
EPFL is a leading university with strong emphasis on basic sciences, engineering and life sciences. Research within its Institute of Chemistry & Chemical Engineering (ISIC) includes synthetic and ...