The Synthetic Biology Tools for Yeast section at the Novo Nordisk Foundation Center for Biosustainability (DTU Biosustain), at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU), is seeking a skilled analytical chemist for compound identification.
DTU Biosustain is focused on developing the next generation of cell factories deploying advanced metabolic engineering techniques, and the development of bioprocesses for a sustainable production of chemicals and high value compounds.
Focus and scope
The Synthetic Biology Tools for Yeast group is focused on refactoring of plant biosynthetic pathways for human therapeutics manufacturing in microbial cells. The competencies in our laboratory, led by Prof. Jay D. Keasling and Dr. Jie Zhang, focus on the use synthetic biology to engineer microbes for production of therapeutics otherwise difficult to source. To strengthen our team’s translational R&D activities, and further advance our visions for delivery of new supply chains for bioactive natural products we seek an analytical chemist with a focus on:
- Analysis and quantification of known compounds in biological samples (targeted compound analysis/metabolite profiling)
- Analysis and relative quantification of unknown compounds in biological samples (metabolomic analysis)
- Analysis and identification of unknown compounds in biological samples (compound ID)
- Analytical method development for quantitative and quanlitative analyses in biological samples
The candidate will be responsible for developing and executing state-of-the-art compound identification with main focus on extraction, isolation and MS-based characterization of bioactive natural products, and support HR-MS analysis for mitigating metabolic engineering bottlenecks. The candidate will be affiliated with the analytical core team at DTU CfB and is expected to closely collaborate with a team of 5-10 researchers with expertise within strain engineering, biochemistry, pathway discovery, and synthetic biology. The candidate will be responsible for the daily operation of the analytical equipment. Key responsibilities will include:
- Extraction, isolation and identification of compounds from microbial sources
- GC- & LC-MS/MS method development and validation
- GC- & LC-MS/MS data analysis
- Writing and maintaining SOPs
- Setting up protocols and training other personnel to the highest standards
The ideal candidate will have:
- Significant experience working in a relevant environment (e.g. compound ID, natural products), with a solid analytical chemistry background
- Proven experience in chromatography method development, instrument maintenance, mass spectrometry & high throughput analysis
- Expertise/experience in de novo compound identification
- Experience in interpretation of complex mass spectra
- Proven ability to work creatively in a team environment
- Proactive attitude and a translational research drive
- Strong oral and written skills in English
- Experience working in biological systems
- Flexibility, enthusiasm, responsibility, team spirit and excellent collaboration skills.
- Competence and experience in natural product- and analytical chemistry techniques for chemical profiling, dereplication, isolation and identification, especially through HPLC, LC-MS, and other techniques
- Experience in software for natural product and mass data processing
What we offer in return
We offer an exciting, collaborative, hard-working, and entrepreneurial team, focusing on translational research and innovation with both societal and environmental impacts. The position offers a unique possibility of being a part of a team working on a truly translational project involving close collaboration with BDs and entrepreneurial experts. We place emphasis on a high level of professionalism in our team, so skills development and knowledge-transfer are integral parts of our agile well-resourced organization.
DTU is a leading technical university globally recognized for the excellence of its research, education, innovation and scientific advice. We offer a rewarding and challenging job in an international environment. We strive for academic excellence in an environment characterized by collegial respect and an academic freedom tempered by responsibility.
Salary and terms of employment
The appointments will be based on the collective agreement with the Danish Confederation of Professional Associations. The allowance will be agreed with the relevant union.
The job contract offered to the qualifying candidates would terminate by the end of 2022. Expected starting date: Flexible, but preferably Spring 2020.
Application and contact
Please submit your online application no later than 5 January 2020. Open the “Apply online” link, fill out the form and attach all your materials in English in one PDF file. The file most include:
- Your motivated application (Cover letter)
- Diplomas (MSc/PhD)
- List of publications and patents
Further information may be obtained from Professor Jay D. Keasling (email@example.com ) and Dr. Jie Zhang (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
You can read more about DTU Biosustain at www.biosustain.dtu.dk
Applications and enclosures received after the deadline will not be considered.
All interested candidates irrespective of age, gender, race, disability, religion or ethnic background are encouraged to apply.
Technology for people
DTU develops technology for people. With our international elite research and study programmes, we are helping to create a better world and to solve the global challenges formulated in the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals. Hans Christian Ørsted founded DTU in 1829 with a clear vision to develop and create value using science and engineering to benefit society. That vision lives on today. DTU has 11,500 students and 6,000 employees. We work in an international atmosphere and have an inclusive, evolving, and informal working environment. Our main campus is in Kgs. Lyngby north of Copenhagen and we have campuses in Roskilde and Ballerup and in Sisimiut in Greenland.
Predoctoral Researcher, Bio Image Analysis, University of Antwerp, Belgium, about 10 hours ago
The Laboratory for Cell Biology and Histology at the Faculty of Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences is seeking to fill a full-time (100%) vacancy for an Expert scientist in bio-imag...
Scientist I Medicinal Chemistry, National Institutes of Health, United States, about 3 hours ago
Position description: Remedy Plan is a cancer therapeutics start-up company focused on developing drugs that target cancer stem cells (see https://remedyplan.com/ ). We have identified a panel of ...
Lab Technician, Karolinska Institute, Sweden, about 3 hours ago
Do you want to contribute to top quality medical research? CBCS is a core facility at Karolinska Institutet and a national infrastructure at SciLifeLab. CBCS operates in a highly collaborative fas...
Scientist Adme, Uppsala University, Netherlands, about 14 hours ago
Published: 2020-01-23 Uppsala University is a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing. Our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education and to ...
Catalytic Reactions For Producing Phosphorous Based Flame Retardant Compounds, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 1 day ago
(ref. BAP-2020-20) Laatst aangepast : 14/01/2020 The research team of Dirk De Vos focuses on green and sustainable chemistry, preferably realized via catalysis. We have a portfolio of EU H2020, Fl...
Researcher Position In Physiology At The Department Of Marine Science, University of Gothenburg, Sweden, about 17 hours ago
Project title: Open research position in bivalve and crustacean physiology / nutrition / neuroendocrinology Subject area Molecular Biology / Metagenomics / Biochemistry / Physiology Keywords Biva...