Bursar of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the position
Researcher in Ab Initio Modelling of Materials
Workplace: Department of Physical Electronics, Deposition of Thin Films and Nanostructures group, Faculty of Science, Masaryk University in Brno, Czech Republic
Type of Contract: temporary position with 1-year contract with possible prolongation for another years, non-academic
Working Hours: 1 FTE (full-time employment of 40 hours per week)
Expected Start Date: 1.7.2021 or negotiable with respect to immigration timelines for non-EU candidates
Number of Open Positions: 1 Pay: CZK 35 000
Application Deadline: 15 March 2021 EU Researcher Profile : R2/R3
About the Workplace
Masaryk University is the second-largest university in the Czech Republic with 10 faculties, more than 5000 staff, and more than 30 000 students. As a comprehensive research-intensive university with a strong international standing, our mission is to pursue top-quality research and education.
Faculty of Science MU, a proud holder of the HR Excellence in Research Award by the European Commission, is a research-oriented faculty, offering university education (Bachelor’s, Master’s, and Doctoral degree programs) closely linked to both primary and applied research and high school teaching of the following sciences: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Earth sciences. We are the most productive scientific unit of the Masaryk University generating around 40 % of MU research results.
Department of Physical Electronics at the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University provides courses and guarantees fundamental and applied research in the fields on plasma physics, plasma applications, and nanotechnology. It has a tradition of more than 50 years. The R&D Centre for Low-cost Plasma and Nanotechnology Surface Modifications CEPLANT was established in 2010 as part of the Department of Physical Electronics and was funded by the European Structural Funds and has been recognized by the European Union as a Key Enabling Technologies (KET's) centre.
The researcher will work at the the PVDlab that is a part of the CEPLANT centre. The job is to perform ab-initio calculation of structure, mechanical and optical properties of compound materials, which are experimentally prepared by other members of the group. The materials are for example high entropy alloys, different oxides, ternary nitrides and other materials. The researcher will contribute to the fundamental understanding of the properties of deposited thin film materials from the theoretical point of view. His theoretical calculations are also expected to suggest new coating system with promising properties to be synthetized. Experience with optical characterization of the thin films is welcome, as the researcher may be asked to be responsible for optical characterization of thin films in the group.
- Ab initio calculations of structure, mechanical and optical properties and core electron binding energy shifts of oxides, nitrides and other compound materials
- To publish the research outputs
- To propose and develop new areas of research within the research group
Skills and Qualifications
The applicant must have:
- PhD. Degree in Physics, Materials Chemistry, Engineering or in nearby scientific fields
- experience in ab-initio calculations of thin film properties
- good communication skills (oral and written) in English
- publication record in peer-reviewed journals
The applicant should have:
- a strong motivation for research and the ability to contribute with creative ideas; readiness to work independently as well as in a group, to collaborate with scientists from other research groups and/or universities; and the ability to co-manage a group of students
- experience with optical characterization of thin films (not mandatory, but welcomed)
Informal inquiries about the position can be sent to prof. Petr Vašina – email firstname.lastname@example.org , phone 00420 549 49 1446.
- International workplace with a motivated team of researchers and students
- Access to modern deposition and analysis techniques
- Worldwide contacts with specialised measurement equipment
- An interesting job in a dynamically-expanding university area
- Above-average wage (average wage in Czech Republic is 34 000, median wage is 29 000 CZK)
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career
- Employee benefits such as 6 weeks of paid vacation per year, pension insurance contribution, contribution to lunches in canteens of MU or meal vouchers, discounted language courses, discount in the university cinema, exclusive mobile tariff offer by Vodafone
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic city
(for more information on costs of living, you can refer to Numbeo )
The application shall be submitted online by 15.3. 2021 via an e-application (Please, use the link in the e-Application section below).
The candidate shall provide following:
- CV and Cover letter describing candidate's research interest and experience
- Summary of research outputs and publications
- Names and contact details of at least 2 references.
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation email from jobs.muni.cz.
Received applications will be considered carefully in line with principles of the EU Charter and Code for Researchers . Selection criteria: (i) meeting qualification requirements described above, (ii) all required documents provided.
Shortlisted candidates will be invited for a personal or Skype interview.
The Faculty Recruitment Policy (OTM-R) can be seen here .
Faculty of Science, Masaryk University is an equal opportunity employer. We support diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Professor At The Institute Of Metallurgy And Materials Science Polish Academy Of Sciences (Dn 7), Instytut Metalurgii i Inżynierii Materiałowej im. A Krupkowskiego Polskiej Akademii Nauk, Poland, 7 days ago
The candidate must have a professor degree (polish citizens residing in Poland) or doctoral degree in technical sciences or engineering and technical sciences and must demonstrate: 1)Knowledge and...
Crystalline Oxide Coatings For Gravitation Wave Mirrors, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, about 10 hours ago
(ref. BAP-2021-296) Laatst aangepast : 9/04/2021 The Functional Nanosystems (FuN) group of the Semiconductor Physics laboratory (HF) focuses its research on advanced nanomaterials and their assemb...
Experienced Researcher In Synchrotron X Ray Diffraction For A New In Situ Growth Installation At..., Institute of Materials Science of Barcelona (ICMAB-CSIC), Spain, 22 days ago
The project consists of designing, building, commissioning and exploiting a new experimental set up devoted to fast thin film growth while acquiring simultaneously diffraction data. It will operat...
Assistant Professor In Film Studies (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, about 13 hours ago
The Arts, Culture and Media programme of the University of Groningen is looking for a highly motivated full-time Assistant Professor in film studies (in Dutch: universitair docent). Date of appoin...
Scientific Application Developer, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
DepartmentRECETOX – Faculty of Science Deadline 31 May 2021 Start date upon agreement E-APPLICATION The Bursar of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open competition for the ...
Biological/Physical Anthropologist, Assistant Professor, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
DepartmentDepartment of Anthropology – Faculty of Science Deadline 30 Jun 2021 Start date 1.1.2022 / dle domluvy E-APPLICATION Dean of the Faculty of Science, Masaryk University announces an open...