The ERATOSTHENES Centre of Excellence (ECoE) (www.eratosthenes.org.cy ) of the Cyprus
University of Technology (www.cut.ac.cy ) invites applications for one position of Researcher at the
Resilient Society Department of the ERATOSTHENES CoE. The position is open either on a full-time
(100%) or part-time employment basis.
The position is open to everyone internationally in the framework of the EU-H2020 “EXCELSIOR”
project (Excellence Research Centre for Earth Surveillance and Space-Based Monitoring of the
Environment; https://excelsior2020.eu/; TEAMING Grant no. 857510). Through this project, the
Cyprus University of Technology is establishing the ERATOSTHENES Centre of Excellence in Space
Technology, Earth Observation and Geospatial Technology in the EMMENA (Eastern Mediterranean
Middle East North Africa) region, in cooperation with the Department of Electronic Communications
(DEC) from the Deputy Ministry of Research, Innovation and Digital Policy (Cyprus) and with EU
advanced Partners the German Aerospace Centre (DLR, Germany), TROPOS (Germany) and the
National Observatory of Athens (NOA-Greece).
The ERATOSTHENES Centre of Excellence is an autonomous Centre of Excellence with Cyprus
University of Technology (CUT) as its sole stakeholder, aiming to become a viable, sustainable Centre
of Excellence in earth observation, space technology and geospatial analysis. CUT has a 13-year
experience in earth observations and geospatial analysis. Through the “EXCELSIOR” H2020 Teaming
Project (2019-2026), the ERATOSTHENES CoE aspires to become an excellent Digital Innovation Hub
for Earth Observation and Geospatial Information by offering education, responsible research, open
innovation and application services capable of sustaining Cyprus’ development. The ERATOSTHENES
CoE aspires to actively contribute to the European Research Area (ERA) priorities in Atmosphere and
Climate, Resilient Societies and Big Earth Data Analytics, as well as to become the reference Earth
Observation/Geoinformation Centre for research and innovation in the Eastern Mediterranean,
Middle East and North Africa (EMMENA) region.
Description of the Position
The successful candidate will be assigned to the Department of Resilient Society within the Centre of
Excellence, in which Earth Observation-based research will be conducted in the thematic domain of
Disaster Risk Reduction: Fires. The selected Researcher will work under the Coordinator of the
Department of the Resilient Society. We are currently looking for a candidate in Disaster
management with emphasis in fire hazard and fire risk analysis with skills in the field of Earth
Observation data, Data Science tools and technologies (machine/deep learning) to develop
downstream research, applied research and services to address the spectrum of fire hazard
management including early detection, monitoring, risk assessment and mitigation, to join our
interdisciplinary research group tackling key global societal challenges.
In close collaboration with the Department’s Coordinator, the Researcher will contribute to the
strategic plan of the Centre.
A core activity of ERATOSTHENES CoE is to conduct high caliber, state-of-the-art research, both basic
and applied. A central task is to acquire research funding for the Centre, to provide facilities to the
researchers, and to support them to acquire funding for their research independently and via
international and local collaborations. Collaborations with industrial partners will be particularly
encouraged and facilitated.
Appropriate measures of success will be collaboratively determined based on the Centre’s strategic
growth plan and sustainability targets. These will be revised periodically by the Executive Committee
and the Board of Directors.
We seek excellent, responsive professionals and researchers who are comfortable working in a
demanding international setting with an ability to quickly absorb new technologies and synthesize
inputs to generate new research ideas and develop added value services. The candidate should bring
the appropriate knowledge in the relevant state of the art frameworks, at European and
international level, such as Sendai framework for DRR, Agenda 2030, Copernicus EMS etc. in relation
to fire hazard, fire risk and adaptation of fire risk management to climate change.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate is expected to develop Earth Observation based services that are related to
all forest fire management phases namely, pre-fire, during fire and post-fire. More specifically, these
are: Fuel mapping; Fire risk assessment; Active fire detection using satellite sensors and/or UAV
systems; Burnt area mapping; Burn severity assessment; Post-fire vegetation recovery monitoring.
The successful candidate will be responsible for helping to shape and advance the ERATOSTHENES
CoE's research and innovation agenda by:
1. Developing and implementing R&D strategies appropriate to the ERATOSTHENES CoE’s
mission to become a regional knowledge hub in the fields of the Department, capitalizing on
earth observation, space technologies and geospatial technologies;
2. Actively participating and ultimately leading world-class research programs (bottom-up) in
the field of Disaster Risk Reduction: Fires, using state-of-the-art infrastructure;
3. Aligning the Department’s research agenda with ERA priorities, EU, ESA, and International
Funding and Regulatory frameworks, e.g., Sustainable goals, open innovation and
4. Securing financial and other resources from national, regional and international sources;
5. Establishing local, regional, and international research networks that can support the longterm
research agenda and priorities of the Department;
6. Developing activities to support the scientific integration of Europe and to strengthen its
7. Following the European Roadmap for Research Infrastructures (ESFRI) systematically;
8. Mentoring, educating and providing research guidance to graduate students in the Cyprus
University of Technology & ERATOSTHENES CoE PhD programmes;
9. Overseeing the career-development plans of the PhD-candidates of the Department;
10. Initiating and sustaining high-level collaborative Coordination and support actions (CSA) and
Research and Innovation Actions (RIA) projects with leading partners that conduct research
in areas related to his/her respective fields;
11. Communicating the results and implications of research conducted at ERATOSTHENES CoE,
including the academic community, the public at large and policy and economic decision
12. Exercising an active role in the development of the organization-wide strategy of
ERATOSTHENES CoE, working towards meeting its mission goals, promote a vigorous
research environment and foster inter-departmental effective collaboration;
13. Consulting with the Consortium Partners of the EXCELSIOR project, to formulate and
regularly update the ERATOSTHENES CoE research strategy;
14. Engaging with government and industry bodies and institutions to raise the profile of
ERATOSTHENES CoE as a research-intensive institution;
15. Ensuring that the KPIs and other performance targets as set by the Centre are delivered;
16. Fulfilling any other relevant duties deemed necessary.
1. PhD in a relevant subject; for example: Forestry; Meteorology; Environmental Science or
Engineering; Remote Sensing; Geoinformatics; Surveying Engineering; Geography; Spatial
Planning; Computer Science; Physics; Mathematics;
2. The candidates must fulfill the requirements of at least the Post-Doctoral Research Fellow.
The positions are opened from the level of the Post-Doctoral Research fellow up to
Researcher (A & B) as described below;
3. Know-how and experience in Remote sensing / Earth Observation / satellite data processing;
4. Working experience of more than two years in the field is required;
5. Proven work experience in the use and/or management of geospatial databases data over
6. Know-how and experience in fire behavior, fire spread, parameters influencing fire
spread/ignition/behavior, methodologies for fire mapping, fire modelling (e.g. FLAMAP) etc.;
7. Proven work experience in the use and / or management of geospatial databases data over
8. Knowledge of at least one scripting language (Python, R, MATLAB);
9. Experience in working for European Commission / European Space Agency projects will be
considered an asset;
10. State-of-the-art scientific expertise in one or more of the following areas will be considered
as an advantage:
Exploiting multi-source data EO-based and in-situ/crowd data and
development/assimilation of data/models to support cross-sector research and
services/solution provision in the field of Disaster Risk Reduction: Fires;
Risk Analysis/Risk Reduction/ Decision Making;
Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning techniques;
Computer Science and Geoinformation Engineering;
Big data management and distributed processing of big satellite scientific data;
Development of automated application systems will be an asset but not mandatory
(experience in relational and non-relational databases, application programming
interfaces, Linux scripting, web frameworks);
Working for European Commission / European Space Agency projects.
11. Excellent knowledge of the English language both verbal and in writing.
The qualifications required for this position are the same as those required for the post of Post-
Doctoral Research Fellow, Researcher A and B at the Cyprus University of Technology, as follows:
Minimum Requirements for the posts of Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Researcher A and B
The minimum requirement for the position of Post-doctoral Research fellow is a doctoral degree
from a recognized university.
The minimum requirements for the position of Special Scientist/ Researcher B are the following:
To have a doctoral degree from a recognized university and demonstrate that they are able to teach
and/or conduct research at a university level. Regarding employees who work in public institutions
with cognitive subjects which will be included in the University and they possess a doctoral degree
from a recognized university or will acquire such a degree, according to the provisions of Article 44
of the current legislation, it is presumed that until the date of the commencement of the University
operations, service in institutions currently under incorporation require academic experience in
teaching/research according to the provisions of the current section.
The minimum requirements for the position of Special Scientist/ Researcher A, are the following:
To be qualified for the Lecturer position and have at least three years of self-reliant academic level
teaching experience or research after the acquisition of a doctoral degree from a recognized
university or research centre and Original publications in valid international scientific journals or
other publications of recognized value that forebode important contribution to science.
Τhe appointment will be for a period of twenty-four (24) months with the prospect of renewal for
twelve (12) months or up to 60 (sixty) months. The monthly gross salary for the (full-time) position
will range from 3060.94€ to €5564.11, depending on qualifications. It is noted that there is provision
for 13th salary (the cost of the 13th salary has been proportionally incorporated in the monthly
remuneration as analysed above).
Interested candidates must submit their application comprising of all documents listed below via
email to firstname.lastname@example.org , conspicuously entering in the subject line: “Application
for Researcher Position in Disaster Risk Reduction: Fires using Earth Observation, Space &
Geospatial Technologies at the Resilient Society Department” no later than 14/05/2021 at 14.00
CYPRUS TIME, which is the deadline for the submission of the applications.
1. A letter in which the candidate should state the Department, the rank, the specialization in
which he/she is interested in, as well as the date on which he/she can undertake
responsibilities in case he/she is appointed, in English;
2. Curriculum vitae in English;
3. A short review of the research interests as well as a brief description of the future research
plans, in English - up to 1500 words;
4. List of publications in English;
5. Reprints of their three most representative publications;
6. Copies of the candidate’s degree certificates;
7. Contact details;
8. Names and contact details of at least three senior academic/research referees. Candidates
should request confidential letters of reference in English from the above senior
academic/research referees, which must be sent by the referees themselves directly to the
ERATOSTHENES CoE via email to email@example.com , by the deadline for the
submission of the applications. The names and addresses of the referees should be
submitted together with the application because the ERATOSTHENES CoE may also request
additional confidential information. The ERATOSTHENES CoE may also request reference
letters from independent referees of the choice of members of the Appointed Committee, if
For further information visit the ERATOSTHENES CoE’s webpage at http://www.eratosthenes.org.cy
It is noted that:
- For non-EU applicants a work permit will be required;
- Applications will be treated in strict confidence. All information provided will comply with
the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) of the European Union;
- The job requires that the Senior Researcher is or becomes a resident in the area of
- The ERATOSTHENES CoE adopts an equal opportunity policy at recruitment and the
subsequent career stages and encourages both genders to submit an application for all
levels of Academic and Administrative Staff;
- The ERATOSTHENES CoE does not discriminate in any way on the basis of gender, religion or
belief, ethnic, national or social origin, age, physical ability, marital status and sexual
- The title of the position may be modified upon approval of the HR regulations of the
The employment of the successful candidate will start upon approval of the contract amendment for
including ERATOSTHENES CoE as a new partner in the “EXCELSIOR” H2020 consortium.
Senior Manager, Fire And Life Safety, Dallas County Community College District, United States, 6 days ago
Apply now Job no:501434 Work type:Full-time Location:Various locations Work Schedule: Monday-Friday (8:00-5:00) Working Title Senior Manager, Fire and Life Safety Job Title Code CQC Salary Level N...
Fire And Life Safety Technician, Dallas County Community College District, United States, 6 days ago
Apply now Job no:501433 Work type:Full-time Location:District Office Work Schedule: Monday-Friday (8:00-5:00) Working Title Fire and Life Safety Technician Job Title Code CXI Salary Level N05 Sala...
Student Support Coordinator, Arizona State University, United States, 14 days ago
68117BR Off-Campus: Scottsdale Student Support Coordinator Job Description Under general supervision, develops, coordinates, and deploys undergraduate and/or graduate functions to support new and ...
Technology Engagement Advisor, Arizona State University, United States, 15 days ago
68055BR Campus: Tempe Technology Engagement Advisor Job Description The University Technology Office (UTO) develops, operates, supports and advises on innovative technology used by ASU to advance ...
Project Manager, Arizona State University, United States, about 20 hours ago
68414BR Campus: Tempe Project Manager Job Description The Center for Biodiversity Outcomes seeks a project manager who, under the leadership of the founding director and affiliated center director...
Donor Relations Coordinator, Arizona State University, United States, about 19 hours ago
68118BR Campus: Tempe Donor Relations Coord Job Description ASU Gammage is seeking an experienced professional to provide advanced administrative, data management and event support to the developm...