Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University – Academy of Film and Creative Technology
Located in Suzhou, China, Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a young, dynamic and EMI university founded in 2006, and is a unique collaborative institution and first joint-venture university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees for more than 100 programmes. XJTLU also aims to become truly research-led and has committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of master’s and PhD student numbers on campus. The university has over 18,000 students and nearly 1000 academic staff representing in excess of 90 nationalities. For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn
XJTLU is seeking to appoint a Dean to establish and develop its new Academy of Film and Creative Technology. The Academy is the result of the amalgamation of two existing schools within XJTLU; the School of Film and TV Arts, and the School of Cultural Technology. Uniquely within XJTLU, the Academy will be multi-locational, providing cross-site opportunities for students, staff, industry and society.
Building on the core values of the university, the academy brings together the areas of media, creativity and technology within the context of society to establish an international cultural ecosystem, driven by knowledge generation to advance industry and shape future society. The Academy will initially be located in both the SIP campus, through the School of Film and TV Arts, and on the new campus in Taicang as part of the new Entrepreneur College, through the School for Cultural Technology. There are also ambitious plans to develop further educational, research and creative technology facilities in both Yangzhou and the Great Bay Area. The council of the Academy, composed of expertise from the University, the industry alliance and independent outside experts, exercises the highest decision-making power of the Academy of Creative Technology and Film. The Academy is directed by the Dean under the leadership of the Academy Council, with a daily reporting line to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
AFCT offers both undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes, non-degree short term professional training programmes, research and knowledge transfer services, and establishes partnerships and interacts with industries and society.
The aim of the AFCT is that it will be a community academy serving the alliance of industry and society through:
- Establishing cultural creativity programmes designed to engage, motivate and inspire societies participation.
- Equipping AFCT staff with the tools required to enable them to work with people of all backgrounds, talents and potential.
- Empowering a social, cultural and creative impact model that provides a win win situation for industry, communities and society as a whole.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Daily operation and administration of the Academy;
- Reporting to and implementing decisions made by the Academy Council;
- Preparing both the annual budget and report on financial accounts of the Academy for approval as required;
- Developing Academy infrastructure, regulations and rules;
- Delivering excellent learning and teaching, research, and enterprise engagement activities in the Academy;
- Personnel decisions including recruitment as well as discipline, retention, and contract termination in the Academy;
- Coordination and communication between the different sites and locations of the Academy;
- Coordination and communication between the Academy and the University; and,
- Any other work-related tasks assigned by the Charter of the Academy, or the Academy Council, or SMT of XJTLU.
The role of Dean of the Academy of Film and Creative Technology is as the chief executive officer of the Academy, providing effective direction in all aspects of Academy-wide activity, delegating responsibility within the Academy when appropriate. The Dean is expected to represent the Academy within the University and externally. The Dean will also be part of the XJTLU Senior Management Team, the Leadership Team of the Entrepreneur College (Taicang), and Academic Management Group.
The Dean must provide the sort of professorial academic leadership needed to take the Academy through its initial growth phase. Emphasis rests on the development of the Academy’s new degrees and its research endeavour and so candidates must not only be highly accomplished in their own right, they must also have clear collaborative commitment and the ability to develop and implement teaching and research strategies. Additionally, given the University’s pace of expansion, the Dean must provide wider academic leadership in matters such as staff development and recruitment, programme development and quality assurance within the Academy.
In order to succeed in a leadership position in an international institution enjoying rapid expansion, candidates must be characterised by flexibility, energy, commitment to collaboration, creativity, innovation and an enthusiasm for the pace, dynamism and global ambition which distinguish XJTLU and the Academy of Film and Creative Technology. In moving to the next stage of the Academy’s development, it would be advantageous for the Dean to be bi-lingual in English and Chinese in order to engage effectively locally, regionally, nationally and internationally with business, government and other educational institutions.
The person appointed to the role will be able to demonstrate evidence of the following experience and core competencies.
- A PhD degree in a relevant subject from a university of high global standing;
- Rich experience in teaching, research, academic leadership, strategic planning and financial management in a university, preferably an international university or Sino-foreign joint university;
- Work experience in the media and creative technology industry would be an advantage;
- First class networking skills and an ability to build and nurture external contacts and partnerships;
- Excellent organisational, implementation and monitoring skills to deliver successful outcomes;
- A track record of both high quality and impact research and successful academic management over a sustained period in at least one of the areas of specialisations in the Academy;
- Ability to communicate with a high degree of competence in both written and spoken English and Modern Standard Chinese;
- Experience of living and working outside China;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills;
- A track record of working together with industry and government.
In addition to the base salary, members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, children’s education, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
Citizenship and Visa Regulations
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa from the PRC.
Please submit your applications online. Please click the 'Apply' button to access.
You should send your CV and cover letter (in English) outlining your interest in the position and your accomplishments in the area that is relevant to the position. Applications for the post should be received by 31st May 2021
Informal enquiries may be directed to the Associate Principal of the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) at XJTLU, Professor Stuart Perrin (Email: Stuart.email@example.com)
If you are unable to apply on-line please contact the Human Resource Office.
Undergraduate Film & Television, Assistant Arts Professor Tv Directing & Scriptwriting, New York University, United States, about 1 hour ago
Undergraduate Film & Television, Assistant Arts Professor - TV Directing & Scriptwriting New York University: NYU - NY: Tisch School of the Arts: Undergraduate Film and Television Location NYC Ope...
Undergraduate Film & Television, Assistant Professor Cinematography, New York University, United States, about 1 hour ago
Undergraduate Film & Television, Assistant Professor - Cinematography New York University: NYU - NY: Tisch School of the Arts: Undergraduate Film and Television Location NYC Open Date Jul 29, 2021...
Full Time 3 Years Limited Project Researcher At The Chair Of Functional Materials And Material..., Personalabteilung der Montanuniversität Leoben, Austria, 21 days ago
One vacant position for full-time Project Researcher at the Chair of Functional Materials and Material Systems in the Department of Material Sciences beginning at 1th October on a temporary employ...
Program Manager, Film And Media Studies, Arizona State University, United States, 1 day ago
70185BR Campus: Tempe Program Manager Job Description The Department of English is seeking a Program Manager to assist with the Film and Media program. Under the supervision of the Film and Media ...
Specialist, Audio Visual, School Of Humanities And Social Sciences (Huss), American University in Cairo, Egypt, about 23 hours ago
Purpose: The job holder will maintain the orderly and consistent operation of technology and facilities for the needs of students, faculty, and staff in the arts department. Ensures regular and r...
Assistant Professor In Media, Communication And Cultural Studies, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 29 days ago
Join a unique British University in China. The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) was the first Sino-foreign university to open its doors in China. This award winning campus offering a ...