Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University – Academy of Film and Creative Technology
About the Academy of Film and Creative Technology
XJTLU is seeking to appoint a Creative Director to assist the incoming Executive Dean to establish and develop its new Academy of Film and Creative Technology. The Academy is the result of the amalgamation of two existing schools within XJTLU; the School of Film and TV Arts, and the School of Cultural Technology. Uniquely within XJTLU, the Academy will be multi-locational, providing cross-site opportunities for students, staff, industry and society.
Building on the core values of the university, the academy brings together the areas of media, creativity and technology within the context of society to establish an international cultural ecosystem, driven by knowledge generation to advance industry and shape future society. The Academy will initially be located in both the SIP campus, through the School of Film and TV Arts, and on the new campus in Taicang as part of the new Entrepreneur College, through the School for Cultural Technology. There are also ambitious plans to develop further educational, research and creative technology facilities in both Yangzhou and the Great Bay Area. The council of the Academy, composed of expertise from the University, the industry alliance and independent outside experts, exercises the highest decision-making power of the Academy of Creative Technology and Film. The Academy is directed by the Dean under the leadership of the Academy Council, with a daily reporting line to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. The Creative Director will report to Executive Dean, and whilst based in its SIP campus, will work across all existing and future locations.
AFCT offers both undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes, non-degree short term professional training programmes, research and knowledge transfer services, and establishes partnerships and interacts with industries and society.
The aim of the AFCT is to be a community academy serving the alliance of industry and society through:
- Establishing cultural creativity programmes designed to engage, motivate and inspire societies participation.
- Equipping AFCT staff with the tools required to enable them to work with people of all backgrounds, talents and potential.
- Empowering a social, cultural and creative impact model that provides a win win situation for industry, communities and society as a whole.
The role of the Creative Director of the Academy of Film and Creative Technology is to guide, oversee and be responsible for the quality of the creative output and distribution of the academy work, for both staff and students. They will be a dynamic and effective leader of projects and resources who can foster an environment where creativity, novelty and innovation can thrive. They will have significant senior leadership experience in a similar role, with experience in one or more of the key areas of the academy. They will have sufficient breadth to develop a diverse and multi-disciplinary approach to the work of the Academy. They will have the credibility to operate effectively within an academic and creative context, and be committed to the vision of the Academy and University’s mission and values.
Working with the Executive Dean of Academy, the Creative Director will have significant input in developing effective partnerships, both commercial and academic, including securing industry sponsorship and investment in projects where appropriate. Because of the nature of the role, the ideal candidate will be bilingual, bringing an extensive network of contacts, and possess an intimate knowledge of the film and creative technology industry within China and Asia.
The Creative Director will be part of Senior Management Team of the Academy, along with the Executive Dean and Dean of Schools
Duties and Responsibilities
The main duties of the role include:
- Management of the creative process from conception to completion;
- Implementation of the Academy creative strategy, as agreed by the Academy Council;
- Translate Academy objectives into clear creative strategies;
- Development of creative teams across the Academy as required for projects;
- Creation of processes to ensure cross-locational creative development;
- Ensuring the Academy delivers fully on its agreed targets, particularly in the areas of practice-based research output, innovation and income generation;
- Ensuring that practice-based research output is market led;
- To assist the Dean of Academy and heads of schools in creating networking and collaboration opportunities in support of the Academy’s ambitions and objectives;
- Ensure maximum use of the Academy creative resources, including establishing an effective resource utilization system;
- Develop and manage Academy creative standards through inputting into curriculum design, monitoring and review;
- Have input into new programme development;
- Working with Academy Executive Director and SMT to build the reputation and international standing of the School/Academy as a creative centre of excellence;
- Agree and manage a calendar of events across the School/Academy as agreed;
- Encourage the development of spin out businesses and new business incubation;
- Coordination and communication between the different sites and locations of the Academy;
- Coordination and communication between the Academy and the University, including and especially MITS and CMO to ensure efficient and workable management and use of facilities;
- Any other work-related tasks assigned by the Charter of the Academy, or the Academy Council, or SMT of XJTLU.
In order to succeed in such a leadership position in an international institution enjoying rapid expansion, candidates must be characterised by flexibility, energy, commitment to collaboration, creativity, innovation and an enthusiasm for the pace, dynamism and global ambition which distinguish XJTLUand the Academy of Film and Creative Technology. In moving to the next stage of the Academy’s development, it would be advantageous for the Creative Director to be bi-lingual in English and Chinese in order to engage effectively locally, regionally, nationally and internationally with business, government and other educational institutions.
The person appointed to the role will be able to demonstrate evidence of the following experience and core competencies.
- A PhD degree in a relevant subject from a university of high global standing is desirable but not essential;
- Proven experience as a creative director or in a similar creative role
- Experience, knowledge and fluency with multiple forms of film and media production
- A strong understanding of industry trends and potentialities, including technological innovation.
- Demonstrated experience with and commitment to cross-cultural communication and establishing inclusive environments for staff, faculty, students and professionals.
- Outstanding leadership, analytical and organization skills
- Excellent interpersonal communication, presentation, problem-solving and project-management skills
- Knowledge of and access to film and creative technology professionals working within the industry in China and beyond.
- Experience designing and advancing partnerships.
- Experience and commitment to mentoring diverse staff, colleagues, students and young filmmakers.
- Ability to inspire and engage students at all levels
- Knowledge of higher education and demonstrated commitment to advancing education.
- Ability to reach out and engage across disciplines in support of film and creative technology education.
- An entrepreneurial mindset and ability to lead within a collaborative start-up environment.
- Ability to communicate with a high degree of competence in both written and spoken English and Modern Standard Chinese;
- Experience of living and working outside China;
- A track record of working together with industry and government.
Please submit your applications online. Please click the 'Apply' button to access.
You should send your CV and cover letter (in English) outlining your interest in the position and your accomplishments in the area that is relevant to the position. Applications for the post should be received by 30 June 2021
Informal enquiries may be directed to the Associate Principal of the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) at XJTLU, Professor Stuart Perrin (Email: Stuart.email@example.com)
If you are unable to apply on-line please contact the Human Resource Office.
Full Time 3 Years Limited Project Researcher At The Chair Of Functional Materials And Material..., Personalabteilung der Montanuniversität Leoben, Austria, 19 days ago
One vacant position for full-time Project Researcher at the Chair of Functional Materials and Material Systems in the Department of Material Sciences beginning at 1th October on a temporary employ...
Experimental Activity About Thin Film Fabrication And Characterization Of Dialectric Structures..., Istituto di Fotonica e Nanotecnologie del CNR, Italy, 16 days ago
Titles requested: Master Degree in Material Physics, or Material Science or Material Engineering or Physics Engineering or Chemistry, or similar disciplines, or an equivalent foreign qualification...
Professor In Medical Neuroscience, More Specifically In Mechanisms And Models For Human Brain Disorders, Radboud University Medical Center (Radboudumc), Netherlands, 7 days ago
Radboudumc The chair is embedded in the department of Human Genetics and the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour . The research of the chair connects very well with the activities...
Bnyc Part Time Faculty, Live Experience Design (Music Video Production), Berklee College of Music, United States, 2 days ago
Job Description: Berklee College of Music invites applications for a Part Time faculty member in the Live Experience Design Department at BerkleeNYC. The Master of Arts in Creative Media and Techn...
A Master Degree In Engineering Physics, Or Related Areas, INESC MN, Portugal, 9 days ago
Public notice for Employment Contract (fixed term) ProjectO MAG-ID INESC MICROSISTEMAS E NANOTECNOLOGIAS - Instituto de Engenharia de Sistemas e Computadores para os Microsistemas e as Nanotecnolo...
Assistant Professor In The Group Of Research Teaching Staff, University of Silesia in Katowice, Poland, 4 days ago
RECTOR OF THE UNIVERSITY OF SILESIA IN KATOWICE announces an open call for the position of Assistant Professor in the group of research and teaching staff. Place of work: Faculty of Humanities, In...