Birmingham, City Centre Campus
£38,639 to £41,998 per annum
Fixed Term (Maternity Cover)
Based at the Birmingham School of Architecture and Design as a fixed-term (maternity cover) Lecturer in Landscape Architecture, you will be principally responsible for leading and coordinating our “flying faculty” provision at our partner institute, The Birmingham Institute of Fashion and Creative Art (BIFCA) based in Wuhan, China. This has typically included 3-4 visits of circa 2 weeks at a time to China per academic year.
The remainder of your time will be spent in Birmingham teaching on our Landscape Architecture and Urban Design courses and in other areas of the school depending on your specialisms and experience. The Landscape Architecture courses enjoy high student satisfaction and have an established reputation within the School of Architecture and Design, supported by a Foundation feeder course. You will contribute to the teaching of integrated design projects, engaging students in aspirational and contemporary design briefs while supporting them to develop their own trajectories.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Contributing to the teaching of the BA Landscape Architecture courses in Birmingham and at our international partners, and other areas of the School as required
- Acting as Flying Faculty lead for the BA Landscape Architecture course in BIFCA
- Ensure an excellent student experience through the use of relevant and inspiring learning, teaching, and assessment methods.
- Assisting with cross School activities such as live project modules, the Experimental Sustainability Studio, Super studio and/or research and enterprise
- Providing support and mentoring to individual students via our personal tutor system
- Preparing students who choose the 2+2 route for a successful transition for studying in the UK
Other duties may include course and module administration, study trips and coordination with the BIFCA course team and tutors.
Successful candidates will have:
- Qualifications in Landscape Architecture and/or Urban Design to Degree level and preferably to Masters level (essential)
- A track record of teaching in Higher Education (essential); industry experience is also welcomed
- Excellent design and communication skills (essential)
- Collaborative team working skills (essential); an interdisciplinary approach is desirable given the range of disciplines in the school
- Strong management and organisational skills (essential)
- An ability to contribute to another area of the curriculum such as history and theory, construction, skills or professional studies (essential)
- Experience of teaching in an international context and the ability to operate successfully in different cultures (desirable)
- Climate literacy and knowledge of sustainable design (desirable)
Part of Birmingham City University, the Birmingham School of Architecture and Design is a diverse and interdisciplinary design community exploring designed environments through the scales. From our creative arts faculty setting we aim to educate ethical, entrepreneurial & forward-thinking graduates concerned with people, place and planet. The school has a number of international partnerships delivering trans-national education in China and Malaysia.
As part of your application, please ensure you attach your CV. Candidates are advised to remove personal details from these documents, including your name.
For a confidential and informal conversation about the post please contact Head of School, Dr Matthew Jones: Matthew.Jones3@bcu.ac.uk .
Lecturer In Digital Media Technology (China) Two Years Fixed Term, BIRMINGHAM CITY UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 23 days ago
Lecturer in Digital Media Technology (China)- Two Years Fixed Term School of Computing and Digital Technology Location: China Salary: £38,639 to £41,998 per annum Fixed Term Posted On: Thursday 01...
Assistant Professor In Architectural Design, UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM NINGBO CHINA, United Kingdom, about 16 hours ago
Join a unique British University in China. The University of Nottingham Ningbo China (UNNC) was the first Sino-foreign university to open its doors in China. This award winning campus offering a U...
Associate / Assistant Professor In Organisational Behaviour, UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM NINGBO CHINA, United Kingdom, 20 days ago
University of Nottingham Ningbo China is seeking to recruit an Associate/Assistant Professor in Organisational Behaviour in Nottingham University Business School China. About You We seek to appoin...
Assistant Professor In Accounting, Teaching And Learning Track, UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM NINGBO CHINA, United Kingdom, 29 days ago
University of Nottingham Ningbo China is seeking to recruit an Assistant Professor in Accounting (Teaching & Learning) in Nottingham University Business School China. Your Key Responsibilites Deli...
Assistant Professor In International Business And Strategy, UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM NINGBO CHINA, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
University of Nottingham Ningbo China is seeking to recruit an Assistant Professor in International Business and Strategy in Nottingham University Business School China. Your key responsibilities:...
Assistant Professor In Accounting, UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM NINGBO CHINA, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
University of Nottingham Ningbo China is seeking to recruit an Assistant Professor in Accounting in Nottingham University Business School China. Your Responsibility Your key responsibilities inclu...