Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University – School of Internet of Things
DEPARTMENT: School of Internet of Things
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: Internet of Things, computer science, information science, electronics, artificial intelligence, networking and communication.
POSITION TITLE: Lecturer/Assistant Professor/Associate Professor depending on qualifications and experience
LOCATION: Suzhou Industrial park campus & Taicang campus
SALARY: Lecturer: 23,150-25,594RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 28,615RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
Assistant Professor: 29,046-31,993RMB/month (with the opportunity to go to 35,588RMB/month based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
Associate Professor: 36,127-40,189RMB (with the opportunity to go to 42,705RMB based on future annual performance and evaluations after being in the post)
POSITION OPEN DATE: Open until filled; however, applications received by 05 April 2021 at 12 pm (GMT +8) will be given first consideration
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 04 June 2021
JOB ID: 1894
CONTRACT TYPE: Full-time
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is China’s leading Joint Venture university. Founded in 2006, it now has almost 15,000 students in China; and another 3,500 in Liverpool completing degrees. It plans to grow to about 27,000 students by 2025. The strengths of the university are in Science and Technology, as well as some professional subjects, such as Architecture and Business. There are currently 865 academic staff, about half of whom are not citizens of the People’s Republic of China (PRC). The language of instruction, committees, and administrative work at XJTLU is English.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP), well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China, including nearby Shanghai. SIP is a significant growth zone, including operations run by more than one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth-largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has been on the receiving end of both private and public investments into innovation and R&D.
About the Taicang campus
Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is building a new teaching site in Taicang city - XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang campus), with the collaboration of the Taicang Municipal Government and industry partners, as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. The new Taicang campus will be a pioneer of, and an educational model for developing talent and industry leaders to meet local, national, and global challenges of the 4th Industrial Revolution, in a state-of-the-art campus. XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang campus) is directed by a Leadership Team, which is comprised of the Taicang Principal, Taicang Associate Principal, Chief Operating Officer, School Deans and Director of Innovation Factories.
About the school of internet of things
The school is one of 6 industry-themed Schools in the XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang campus), and there is the capacity to grow further within the college to a total of 10 schools. Common to each School is an Education, Research and Development Institute (“ERDI”) for teaching and university-business research collaboration, a professional services centre supporting daily activities of students, staff, and business partners, and a School Affiliated Company, which has been jointly established by XJTLU and the School’s industry partner for practical on-the-job learning and teaching. The governance and management of the School is through a School Council. The Dean of School oversees the School Management Team as well as contributing to the leadership of the Taicang campus.
The School of Internet of Things has been jointly developed by the University and one of its industry partner – Eolane China, to deliver industry-themed programme(s). The first undergraduate degree programme that the School launched in the Academic Year 2019/2020 was BEng Internet of Things Engineering.
Eolane Group is a leading French professional in electronic manufacturing services and original design manufacturing services, focusing on industrial control, medical, automotive, new energy, railway, defence, aerospace, IoT and other industrial fields. For more information please see http://www.eolane.cn/
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
We are looking for future colleagues from candidates in IoT related fields of computer science, electronics, or networking and communication, with expertise in areas such as: algorithmic aspects of IoT-related networks, wireless sensor & actuator networks, protocols and standards for IoT, wireless power transfer and/or energy harvesting in embedded systems, prototyping and developing proof-of-concept IoT networked systems, emerging topics in IoT (5G, embedded machine learning, industrial IoT, or similar), who can:
- engage actively with new educational models and embrace innovative, interactive, technology-enhanced learning, teaching, and assessment approaches;
- understand and have an entrepreneur and innovative spirit, in line with the ethos of the campus and college;
- deliver high-quality teaching to undergraduate and graduate students, as evidenced for example by peers, students and external examiners;
- supervise undergraduate students and postgraduate students;
- conduct high-quality research, evidenced by publications in leading journals;
- demonstrate an ability to develop and deliver research proposals and applications/bids for external funding;
- provide administrative service to the School, the University, and its stakeholders.
The School of Internet of Things is adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE). SE is a new model that has been developed by the University to address future challenges from the 4th Industrial Revolution and is a core part of the University’s strategy for the next ten-year development that emphasises innovation and entrepreneurship. SE aims at training syntegrative leaders with Management skills, International perspective, Discipline-specific knowledge, and adaptability in Industry (MIDI).
The position seeks individuals who will embrace these values and are passionate about undergraduate and graduate student engagement. The University seeks academic staff who can model the excitement of engagement, discovery, and creativity and who are committed to education as an integrated and transformational process.
- A PhD degree in computer science, information science, electronics, artificial intelligence, and networking and communication or a closely aligned discipline to the Internet of Things; or be able to demonstrate an equivalent professional practice and engagement.
- Self-motivated for innovative teaching with knowledge of relevant developments in learning and teaching practices.
- Familiar with current developments in research with ability to identify appropriate research options, methods and theoretical perspectives. Knowledge of best practice in research methodology.
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills enabling effective interaction internally and externally.
- Fluency in English.
- Strong team-work spirit.
- Be willing to take further teaching training courses under the UK Professional Standards Framework (PSF).
- A good track record of engagement with business and industry.
- University-level teaching experience.
- Appropriate research experience for the corresponding academic position.
- Experience in block teaching.
- An institutional builder and can work with wider disciplines across the Taicang campus.
- For non-Chinese applicants, two years, full time, same subject teaching in a college/university is required by the Chinese work permit policy.
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please submit your applications online
Applications must be submitted in a single PDF file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter specifying your suitability for the role, including clear statements about a) your future research plans, b) teaching approach, and c) working with industry.
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level.
- Contact details for three references (at least a reference from current or most recent employer. Preferably current employer *and* last employer).
For further information and an informal discussion, please contact Professor Angelos Stefanidis, Dean of School by email on Angelos.Stefanidis@xjtlu.edu.cn
If you are unable to apply online, please contact the HR officer Ms. Xu
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
Associate Dean And Director Of Education, Research And Development, School Of Internet Of Things, XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU), Europe, 23 days ago
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University [XJTLU] Associate Dean and Director of Education, Research and Development, School of Internet of Things, XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang campus) (JOB ID:19...
Associate Dean And Director – Education, Research And Development Institute (Erdi),, XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU), Europe, 23 days ago
Associate Dean and Director – Education, Research and Development Institute (ERDI), School of Intelligent Manufacturing Ecosystem, XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang)(JOB ID: 1980) Applications a...
Associate Dean And Director – Education, Research And Development, XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU), Europe, 23 days ago
Associate Dean and Director – Education, Research and Development Institute (ERDI), School of Robotics, XJTLU Entrepreneur College (Taicang)(JOB ID:1979) Applications are invited for an Associate ...
Director Of Innovation Factories, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
DEPARTMENT: XJTLU ENTREPRENEUR COLLEGE (TAICANG) POSITION TITLE: Director of Innovation Factories LOCATION: AY20/21: Suzhou campus; AY22/23 onwards: Taicang campus POSITION OPEN DATE: 28 April 20...
Professor And Dean, The Academy Of Film And Creative Technology, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 6 days ago
DEPARTMENT: the Academy of Film and Creative Technology POSITION TITLE: Professor and Dean, the Academy of Film and Creative Technology LOCATION: Suzhou Campus POSITION OPEN DATE: 28 April 2021 AD...
Lecturer/Associate Professor/Professor, Child Development And Family Education (Cdfe), Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 9 days ago
Lecturer/Associate Professor/Professor, Child Development and Family Education (CDFE) DEPARTMENT: INSTITUTE OF LEADERSHIP & EDUCATION ADVANCED DEVELOPMENT (ILEAD), Department of Educational Studie...