Xi'an Jiaotong - Liverpool University – Architecture
School: Design School
Location: Suzhou Campus
Salary: Salary and benefits packages are competitive and commensurate with rank and experience.
In 2006 Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) was created by the University of Liverpool and Xi’an Jiaotong University – a top ten university in China. Offering a unique international education experience, XJTLU brings together excellent research practice and expertise from both institutions and gives students the skills and knowledge they need to secure careers in a global marketplace. XJTLU now has over 25,000 enrolled students in both Suzhou and Liverpool in the UK, with plans to grow to about 28,000 students by 2025. There are currently about 2,000 staff, among which about 1,000 academic staff, with an almost even split between citizens of the People’s Republic of China and international passport holders. XJTLU offers our undergraduates and postgraduates over 100 programmes with a diverse spectrum of courses.
XJTLU is entering a new and exciting phase of its development as part of its strategic priorities for the next ten years. Adopting a new higher education model based on the concept of Syntegrative Education (SE), XJTLU is currently opening a new Entrepreneurial Education site in Taicang, part of wider Suzhou, where the Entrepreneur College (Taicang) is located. The Taicang site will be a pioneer of, and an educational model for, the future campus in addressing challenges arising from the 4th Industrial Revolution. Other new initiatives include new working partnerships with Xi’an Jiaotong University, the continued development of the four new Academies, and the exploration of further potential locations to develop the SE model.
With a focus on innovative learning and teaching, and research, XJTLU draws on the strengths of its parent universities and plays a pivotal role in facilitating access to China for the UK and other institutional partners. At the same time, XJTLU is exploring future education by blending the educational theory, best practices, and culture from the west and east.
For detailed information about the university, please visit www.xjtlu.edu.cn .
ABOUT DEPAETMENT OF ARCHITECTURE
The Department of Architecture at XJTLU nurtures a climate of open discourse with a firmly established tolerance of views and positions, where risk taking and speculative experiments can flourish.
The Architecture programs offers globally competitive design programmes at both Undergraduate and Postgraduate levels, with a focus on educating architectural designers in both a Chinese and international context. Research areas within the department include but are not limited to cultural innovation, interaction design and product design.
The Department cultivates a learning environment that fosters independent, innovative and responsible designers with a thoughtful and imaginative approach to space making. We recruit students from amongst the top 5% of high school students. Synergy with the University of Liverpool leads the department to also recruit from overseas, ensuring a diverse student body. Our students benefit from the dynamic atmosphere of the department, due to its engagement with the vibrant architecture and construction context of Suzhou and the wider region, as well as its involvement in live projects, competitions, conferences, and other academic institutions and events.
- Teach one design studio and taught module a semester including student academic mentoring
- Research through classic academic realm via research projects, innovations and publication or via architectural practice or art in architecture. Publications at a level appropriate for the discipline and designation. Applications to external research funds
- Service to support the administrative side of the department, school and the university or extra curricula activities for students, staff, discipline.
- Complete PG Certification unless already holding one teaching certification or similar
- Participation in departmental activities and administrative life.
- Positions of administrative responsibility at departmental/cluster/school level.
- Typical split of teaching: research: service is 40:40:20.
- PhD in Architecture with ideally, a minimum of 10 years of academic experience and excellence in academic achievements
- Or Master degree in Architecture with ideally, minimum 15 years practices, including extensive senior executive experience equivalent of design Director and ideally, 2 years education experience
- Fluent in English
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 65 may be not eligible for a work visa in the P.R. China.
- Clear career development path with annual review.
- Professional development trainings are provided.
RESEARCH FUNDING SUPPORT
The university provides every new faculty members with Research Development Fund to encourage them to initiate research projects, and Research Engagement Fund provided to support their continuous research activities.
The university will also support all faculty members to apply for national, province and city level programs. These programs aim to support excellent scientists, both Chinese and non-Chinese-citizen, to work and carry out research in China.
Some of the programs are listed in the table below. The successful application is based on the applicant’s educational background, academic/research field, research achievements, working experience, etc. The universty will provide full support on the applications.
- Outstanding Youth Science Foundation Project (Overseas) RMB 1-3 Million
- Innovation Leading Talent up to RMB 2 Million
- Outstanding Leading Talent of International Discipline 50% of Annual Package
- 'Young Leading Talent of International Discipline' 50% of Annual Package
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
SALARY: Competitive salary in the market
1. Allowance: XJTLU provide various month/annual/one-off allowances as
- Housing allowance
- Travel allowance
- Relocation allowance
2. Commercial Insurance: International insurance plans customized for XJTLU staff and family members. (details refer to the University Policy)
3. Paid holidays:
- Statutory Holidays (11 days)
- Annual Leave (36 days)
- Family Matters Leave
- Paid Sick Leave
- Marriage Leave
- Paternity Leave
- Parental Leave
4. Working visa and residence permit in China: XJTLU sponsors working visa and residence permit in China for the staff.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application on XJTLU career website. Applications must be submitted that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- A current CV, including country of citizenship, and highest degree level, contact details for three References
- Teaching and/or project portfolio (it is also acceptable as an additional attachment to be sent via email to Xinyun.Yang@xjtlu.edu.cn )
For specific enquiries relating to the position, please email Head of Department, Dr. Davide Lombardi at Davide.Lombardi@xjtlu.edu.cn
Informal enquiries may be addressed to HRBP for Design School, Ms. Xinyun Yang at Xinyun.Yang@xjtlu.edu.cn
Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.
Faculty Positions In Industrial Design Ai Driven Design And Creative Robotic, XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU), China, 18 days ago
20 Nov 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU) Research Field Computer science Engineering Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country China...
Faculty Position In Syntegrative Education, XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU), China, 2 days ago
7 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU) Research Field Educational sciences Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country China Applicat...
Faculty Position, School Of Internet Of Things (All Ranks), XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU), China, 5 days ago
2 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU) Research Field Computer science Engineering Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country China ...
Faculty Position In Digital Marketing (All Ranks), XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU), China, 5 days ago
2 Dec 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU) Research Field Management sciences Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country China Applicati...
Professor / Senior Associate Professor In Education, XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU), United Kingdom, 12 days ago
School: Academy of Future Education Department: Department of Educational Studies Position: Professor/Senior Associate Professor in Education Location: Suzhou, China Contract Type: Fixed-term, ren...
Faculty Positions In Educational Management, XIAN JIAOTONG LIVERPOOL UNIVERSITY (XJTLU), United Kingdom, 12 days ago
School: Academy of Future Education Department: Department of Educational Studies Position: Faculty Positions in Educational Management (All Ranks) Location: Suzhou, China Contract Type: Fixed-ter...