This posting is open to current employees at the University of Alberta only. Please indicate your internal status using the "Advertisement" drop down menu when applying.
Location - North campus
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
The Dean of Students supports all students — undergraduate and graduate — in the pursuit of academic and personal success. The Dean of Students collaborates with faculties, offices, and services across all campuses to deliver effective programming and provides leadership on university policies and initiatives.
The Office of the Dean of Students coordinates many services that strive to create diverse and inclusive support in all stages of the student experience, including: academic resources, career and professional development health & wellness services, and community resources.
Reporting to the Associate Dean of Students, the Writing Director supports three key areas of writing support to the UofA community:
- Support to Graduate Students from full-time staff
- Support to Undergraduate Students predominantly through peer tutoring and,
- Copy editing which is operated on a cost-recovery basis.
Writing Services provide a continuum of support to predominantly student members of the UofA community through a combination of workshops, class presentations and one-on-one sessions delivered by Writing entre staff and peer tutors in response to the evolving writing needs of the community. Maintaining partnerships with other units within the Dean of Student and across the university (e.g. Department of English and Film Studies; Coordinator of Writing Studies courses; Bridging Program; FGSR) is crucial to the success in delivering writing support.
- Training staff (including student staff working as peer tutors) in providing writing support to students
- May include some teaching responsibilities for the peer tutors (details TBC in conversation with relevant academic units)
- Supervising MA and PhD prepared employees who provide writing supports and copy editing services
- Identifies operational challenges. Uses continuous improvement methodology to manage work and streamline processes. Evaluates current business processes for efficiencies. Recommends changes.
- Allocates assigned resources effectively to achieve expected results. Analyzes area needs and formulates well researched business cases to request additional resources.
- Demonstrates inclusivity in work processes and work teams. Actively seeks out and invites alternative viewpoint
- Applies University policies, precedents and procedures to make decisions within the area of accountability. Uses data and evidence to inform decisions. Involves the right people in decision making. Escalates decisions that are beyond scope of accountability.
- Masters degree (PhD preferred); Progressive experience in the assigned area. Minimum 5 years teaching or equivalent experience.
- Progressively responsible experience in leadership/management positions
- Strong commitment to service excellence
- Experience managing, assigning and tracking a high volume of work to a team of dedicated professionals
- Demonstrated experience leading and implementing change including developing new strategies, policies and procedures
- High level of critical thinking and excellent analytical problem solving skills
- Ability to operate within a complex and highly decentralized work environment
- Ability to act decisively and to exercise initiative and judgement on a wide range of issues
- Ability to work in conjunction with and take direction from senior administration
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse population
- Superior oral and written presentation, interpersonal, negotiation, and mediation skills
- Proven ability to model professional, ethical and collaborative behaviours
- Extensive knowledge of the University of Alberta’s policies, procedures and operating requirements
- Excellent computer skills including experience with PeopleSoft and Microsoft Office
In accordance with the Administrative and Professional Officer Agreement , this full-time continuing position offers a comprehensive benefits package found on our Benefits Overview page and annual salary range of $67,304 - $112,168.
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
Program Coordinator (Job Id: 44365), University of Louisville, United States, 1 day ago
Job ID: 44365 Location: undefined Minimum Qualifications Associate's degree and three or more years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education, training and work experience. ...
Career Exploration Advisor, Sr., Arizona State University, United States, 13 days ago
84227BR Campus: Tempe Academic Success Advisor, Sr. Job Description The Explore program in University College is seeking a candidate for the role of Career Exploration Advisor, Sr. Under the direc...
Academic Success Adv Coord, Arizona State University, United States, about 3 hours ago
84698BR Campus: Downtown Phoenix Academic Success Advs Coord Job Description The College of Health Solutions is committed to supporting the success of our students during their time at ASU and bey...
Senior Officer, Quality Of Education Initiatives, American University in Cairo, Egypt, 17 days ago
Reports to: The Associate Provost for Transformative Learning and Teaching (AP-TLT) Purpose: Responsible for the bi-annual assessment of Peer Tutoring program and for making relevant recommendat...
Assistant Dean Graduate Medical Education, Clinical Affairs, KHALIFA UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 28 days ago
Job Purpose Reporting to the Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs, the Assistant Dean for Graduate Medical Education at Khalifa University’s College of Medicine and Health Sciences (CMHS) supports ...
Associate Dean For Communications Rollins School Of Public Health, Emory University, United States, 22 days ago
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contri...