American University of Sharjah
Post: University Librarian
American University of Sharjah invites applications for the position of University Librarian. An exceptional international opportunity awaits an innovative, forward-thinking librarian at American University of Sharjah, United Arab Emirates. The successful candidate will report to the Provost and work collaboratively with the senior management team to achieve the strategic goals of the university. The University Librarian will be responsible for providing an overall vision and direction for the library, managing all aspects of library and archival operations, including human resource management, budget preparation and administration, external relations, building management and supervising the Associate University Librarians (AULs) for Public and Technical Services.
The University Librarian will engage in the senior leadership of the university and is responsible for the overall development and administration of the Library and its contributions to the teaching, learning and research at American University of Sharjah. She/he will provide vision and leadership for the Library, align funding with strategic directions, facilitate the success of Library staff, build relationships with stakeholders and donors, and represent the Library externally. The University Librarian will collaborate with colleagues inside and outside AUS to facilitate scholarly communication and provide information resources and services appropriate for one of the Gulf’s leading research universities.
The University Librarian will act as a professional librarian and will establish and monitor Library goals and priorities in support of the university’s strategic plan, create and administer the Library budget, oversee the selection and integration of emerging library technologies and services, manage consortial agreements and licensing agreements, act as copyright officer and provide guidance on copyright to the campus community, oversee gathering and analyzing data relevant to the Library, and represent AUS on external committees.
The successful candidate will possess an ALA-accredited MLIS or MLS degree with a minimum of five years of increasing administrative responsibility and success in an academic library. S/he will have a commitment to fostering a positive, student-focused library environment; an appreciation of the teaching, research and service missions of a university; a deep knowledge and understanding of current issues in academic librarianship; and achievement in the integration of emerging technologies and electronic resources with traditional library services. S/he will have the ability to build a strong team; promote staff development; work effectively with administrators, faculty, staff, and students across the university; and develop external relationships and partnerships.
- Master’s degree in library science from an ALA-accredited school with a minimum of five years of increasing administrative responsibility in an academic library. S/he will have a commitment to a learner-centered library environment.
- A proven record of successful strategic leadership, visioning, and implementation of ideas and programs through the development and management of effective and collaborative community and university working relationships.
- Demonstrated skill in effectively managing relationships and responding to needs of a wide variety of stakeholder groups is required.
- Highly developed leadership and management competencies gained through progressively senior library management roles and responsibilities.
- A creative and innovative approach to developing and implementing programs is required to reflect interests of multiple stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to function effectively as a member of a senior management team working within a collegial environment.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills, and proven research abilities.
- Demonstrated familiarity with developments in higher education and the issues facing research libraries and universities, and an understanding of academic and scholarly processes.
- Proven planning, budgeting and project management skills.
- Experience in, or familiarity with, human resources management and staff development and training, especially in a larger library is highly desirable.
- A proven commitment to service excellence and a vision of research library services in the 21st century and the skills to advocate for and communicate that vision.
- Familiarity and relevant experience with current library technologies, systems, standards, practices and processes.
Experience in international academic librarianship, preferably with an American curriculum institution.
Salary and Benefits:
The salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience, and includes a 10 percent of base salary payment in lieu of retirement benefits. Free furnished accommodation and utilities are provided, along with nine weeks’ annual vacation. A self-directed benefit plan provides a variety of choices including annual air tickets to place of origin for self and family, healthcare and dependent educational allowance. The UAE levies no income tax.
Located in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), AUS is licensed and its programs are accredited by the Commission for Academic Accreditation of the UAE Ministry of Education’s Higher Education Affairs Division. AUS has been accredited in the United States of America by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA, Tel +1 215 662 5606) since June 2004. Established in 1997, the university consists of the College of Architecture, Art and Design; the College of Arts and Sciences; the College of Engineering; and the School of Business Administration. It offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs to more than 5,600 students from over 90 countries. The language of instruction and the workplace is English. The UAE offers a high standard of living with abundant cultural, recreational and travel opportunities. The UAE is a safe, open and friendly environment for individuals and families of all cultures.
The AUS Library serves as a focal point for educational and social interactions on campus. The Library has a collection of approximately 165,000 physical items and 240,000 ebooks, which covers all disciplines taught at the university. With approximately 23 full-time equivalent employees including 10 professional librarians, the AUS Library supports the research, learning, and teaching needs of faculty, graduate students and undergraduates as well as members of the community. The library features a large Information Commons (135 workstations), 20 group study rooms, 2 computer classrooms, and an RFID system. Please see http://library.aus.edu .
Please email a cover letter, résumé and the names of three professional references to: firstname.lastname@example.org .
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Art Librarian, University of British Columbia, Canada, about 21 hours ago
Art Librarian Music, Art & Architecture Library, UBC Library | Vancouver Campus Full-Time, One Year Term Anticipated Start Date: September 1, 2018 UBC LIBRARY The University of British Columbia Li...
Access Services Specialist Temporary, Villanova University, United States, about 22 hours ago
Posting Details Do you have questions about the application process? If so, please refer to the Applicant FAQ's. Posting Details (Default Section) Posting Number: 201700150T Position Title: Access...
Assistant Librarian I (Systems Support), CITY UNIVERSITY OF HONG KONG, Hong Kong, 3 days ago
City University of Hong Kong is a dynamic, fast-growing university that is pursuing excellence in research and professional education. As a publicly-funded institution, the University is committed...
Specialist Librarian, The University of Iowa, United States, about 23 hours ago
SPECIALIST LIBRARIAN Requisition # 73054 Position Basics Working TitleMONOGRAPHIC ACQUISITIONS COORDINATOR Advertising Ends on:Extended Until Position is Filled Advertising Started on:Monday, June...
Director Of Development, Uls, University of Pittsburgh, United States, about 6 hours ago
The University of Pittsburgh is seeking a qualified candidate for the Director of Development position to develop and lead the fundraising and engagement strategies in support of the University Li...
Metadata Librarian (Cataloguing) (G259 18 Ca), Massey University, New Zealand, about 12 hours ago
Would you like to work at a beautiful campus in affordable Manawatū, with excellent facilities and ample parking? Massey University Library is looking for a Metadata Librarian to help expand acces...