If you are an internal applicant, please make sure to update your current union status in your candidate profile each time you apply for a vacancy. Internal candidates will be given priority consideration at this time. Please note: Carleton University encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
About Carleton University
Carleton is a smart, caring and connected community that inspires and empowers individuals to become change leaders who drive impact in the world. Carleton's faculty and staff strive to provide a superior learning experience for our learners who hail from every province and from over 100 countries around the world. Situated on a beautiful campus bordered by the Rideau River and Canal, Carleton is just minutes from the heart of our nation's government and enjoys easy access to the many organizations, associations and businesses which thrive in Ottawa.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Working with minimum supervision, the Undergraduate Academic Adviser must perform a
multitude of tasks to support and assist the Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) students, Bachelor
of International Business (BIB) students, and Minor in Business, (incl. Minor in Business for
Arts Management, B.Sc., BEng, Entrepreneurship, Earth Sciences Concentration in Finance)
students, specials students, Ottawa U students, Post-Baccalaureate in Accounting students and
any other students interested in undergraduate business courses.
The incumbent must possess the following qualifications:
• Demonstrated personal initiative, resourcefulness, decision making ability and flexibility.
• Excellent administrative and time management skills with the ability to organize work effectively, set priorities and meet strict deadlines without direct supervision; has the ability to simultaneously work on several assignments with pressures of multiple demands and changing priorities; possesses effective communication skills, both oral and written.
• Reliability and accuracy are critical along with confidentiality.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, the incumbent must be capable of relating successfully to all members of the University community (staff, faculty and students), responding to queries in a professional manner, and possess the ability to work successfully both without direct supervision and within a team.
• Requires a sensitivity to, and understanding of, various cultural, ethnic and linguistic profiles.
• Familiar with campus life, possessing a sound knowledge of academic policies and regulations throughout the University and of programs offered by the School and has an understanding of procedures governing the processing of student records.
• The incumbent acts as an information resource for students and faculty members.
• Excellent skills in the manipulation of electronic data processing equipment and software applications relevant to the University’s electronic office including WordPerfect, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Scheduler, MS Exchange, and Banner are required as well as a knowledge of search engines and web search techniques. Ability to adapt to a changing electronic environment.
Education and Experience:
The above is normally acquired through the completion of:
• Completion of a three year university degree, preferably in Business.
• Knowledge of statistical procedures will be an asset.
• Three years of post-secondary administrative experience and knowledge in an academic student environment will be an asset.
• Demonstrably high level of skill in interfacing with BANNER and MS-Office applications: WORD, EXCEL.
• Exposure to a few other computer applications will be an asset.
Equivalencies will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to provide information which may demonstrate equivalent qualifications. Please note that applicants may be required to complete an employment test as part of the selection process for this position. Those applicants that are selected for an interview will be requested to contact the Human Resource Advisor assigned to this competition as soon as possible to discuss any accommodation requirements. Arrangements will be made to accommodate your request in a timely manner. Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions.
Important Note Regarding Pandemic Related Operations:
This position is required to work on campus. Exceptionally, since March 2020, many staff and faculty at Carleton University have been working from home in order to comply with public health requirements while continuing to provide services to support the operational functioning of the university. We are currently in the process of identifying positions that need to work on campus as part of our return to campus process. This position may be required to work temporarily remotely due to public health requirements or it may have been identified as one of the roles that are required to work on campus. If this position is required to work on campus, the successful candidate will be informed of the health and safety measures that are in place to ensure their safety on campus. If there is a requirement to work remotely (it is possible that there could be a requirement to work both remotely and on campus), the successful candidate will work with the manager to set up a remote work environment including discussing appropriate technology and requirements. Please note that once public health requirements permit, Carleton University will resume normal on campus operations and at that point there will be a timely notification provided by the manager and the requirement to working full time physically onsite will resume. Therefore, we are looking for candidates currently in or looking to relocate to the Ottawa area.
Additionally, Carleton University is continuing to maintain a safe work environment and requires mandatory vaccination against COVID-19 as per Public Health recommendations under the Reopening Ontario Act. As Carleton University requires that staff be available to attend on-campus meetings and to work, as required, in person, the successful candidate will be required to comply with this policy and be fully vaccinated before commencing employment. Subject to permitted exemptions under the Ontario Human Rights Code, if you are the successful candidate, your offer of employment will be conditional upon you attesting that you are fully vaccinated with a course of vaccines that have been approved by Health Canada and submitting appropriate proof of vaccination.
View complete position description
You must login first before attempting to apply for any postion.
Please confirm that you have updated your candidate profile, if you are a returning applicant. Please note your profile includes important screening information.
Evening And Weekend Operations Supervisor, McGill University, Canada, about 20 hours ago
Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply. If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or positio...
Ref 4839/22 Expression Of Interest Casual School Administration Officer, School Of Business, University of Western Sydney, Australia, about 20 hours ago
Casual Eligibility List Attractive Casual Salary Rates Parramatta City Campus Parramatta City Campus About Western Working at Western Sydney University means you’ll be part of an organisation that...
Ref 3863/19 Casual Eligibility List, Office Of Teaching & Research Technical Services, University of Western Sydney, Australia, about 20 hours ago
Casual Eligibility List Attractive Hourly Rates $39.53 - $62.43 All Campuses Office of Teaching & Research Technical Services Casual Staff Eligibility List The mission for the Office of Teaching a...
Associate Professor In Business Analytics , Trinity College Dublin, The University of Dublin ;, Ireland, 1 day ago
Trinity Business School is seeking to hire an Associate Professor in Business Analytics to deliver and develop in the area of Business Analytics across the relevant activities of research, teachin...
Industry Partnership Coordinator Crm Support, Unitech Institute of Technology, New Zealand, about 2 hours ago
Full-time, fixed-term contract ending on 31 March 2023 Be part of an organisation that values work-life balance Supportive team with an inclusive culture Kia hiwa rā! At Unitec, we're passionate a...
Financial Administrator Umio, Maastricht University, Netherlands, 10 days ago
Financial Administrator UMIO Financial Administrator UMIO Published Deadline Location 29 Jul 14 Aug Maastricht Please note: this is an internal vacancy. You can only apply for this job if you are ...