Please note that this is a 12-month term position.
Carleton University also welcomes applications from continuing employees. If a Continuing employee is a successful candidate, this assignment will be considered a Career Development Assignment, and the successful candidate must obtain a leave of absence from their current and substantive position, where applicable. Permission for such leave must not be unreasonably withheld.
Internal candidates will be given priority consideration at this time. Please note: Carleton University encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Lifelong Learning Coordinator, the Lifelong Learning Administrator works within a team and performs duties that support the administration and provision of the Lifelong Learning Program within the Centre for Initiatives in Education (CIE). The Lifelong Learning Administrator provides a first point of contact for current/potential lecturers/learners, and will liaise with several other Carleton departments (such as Carleton Dominion-Chalmers Centre, ITS, and Conference Services) to organize events, book facilities and process registration-related transactions.
The incumbent is responsible for assisting with the administration of the Lifelong Learning Program, providing support for program registration, ensuring the successful implementation of program lecture series and reviewing program evaluation submissions. They ensure the smooth execution of the program’s learning events by trouble-shooting in-person and online presentation technologies. The incumbent also participates in the hiring and training of lecturers and student employees, and as needed supervises the day-to-day activity of student employees in support of program events.
The incumbent shares responsibility for updating and maintaining the Lifelong Learning Program’s website and social media accounts. They aid in the implementation of the program’s recruitment strategy which includes the identification of potential markets for LLeaP events, and assist with the development and implementation of lecturer recruitment, advertising strategies, and promotional materials.
The incumbent acts as a back-up for other Lifelong Learning team members during busy periods and absences, and performs other related duties as required and assigned. Due to the nature of the work and the requirement for program support, the incumbent may be required to work from different locations, or support activities offered on evenings and/or weekends from time to time.
The incumbent must possess the following qualifications:
• Must have superior customer-service skills and strong communication skills to respond to multiple time sensitive requests from diverse client groups, including our predominantly senior-citizen population, work-study and part-time students who are employed at CIE, and with other office staff and faculty.
• Must have strong organizational skills and attention to detail as the incumbent will be responsible to the Lifelong Learning Coordinator for ensuring timely and accurate completion of registration requests and for attending to other, often time-sensitive, enquiries from participants, both verbally and in written form.
• Must have experience with databases and in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Office applications such as Excel and Word, to create spreadsheets and program documents. Knowledge of graphic design applications like Adobe In-Design and Photoshop is a strong asset as the incumbent will create brochures and promotional materials.
• Must be able to work independently which requires initiative, the ability to create and maintain systems that organize tasks and ensure they are completed in an appropriate fashion, the ability and willingness to solve problems as they arise, and the capacity to work under strict deadlines.
• Must also be an effective team member, communicate coherently and promptly with others, and respond well to requests and inquiries from other staff (most of the tasks will be shared with the other LLeaP Administrator).
• Must have experience with using WordPress (pages and forms) for website maintenance, and must have excellent written communication skills, as the incumbent will be responsible for producing and updating sections of the procedures manual, as well as creating and verifying brochure and website content.
• Must demonstrate strong written and design skills, as the incumbent is responsible for assisting in the production of brochures and other marketing material.
• Must have sound knowledge of administrative procedures.
• Must be aware of common social media tools and best practices for platforms such as and including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram.
• Experience and advanced computer skills in software such as Microsoft Office (including Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Teams), WordPress, FAST, eShop, and Zoom (experience with Adobe InDesign or other graphics applications is considered a strong asset).
• Must have experience in reporting on the effectiveness of digital campaigns.
• Experience with online learning and delivery of online training.
• A track record of process management requiring good judgement in utilizing both self-directed problem solving and collaborative decision making.
Education and Experience:
The above is normally acquired through the completion of:
• Completion of a three (3) year university degree or college diploma, or three years of post-secondary study, preferably in a continuous learning environment. Equivalencies may be considered.
• Minimum of four (4) years of related, progressively more responsible experience in front-line customer service and administration in a fast-paced and high-volume environment, preferably in an academic environment working with faculty and students.
Equivalencies will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to provide information which may demonstrate equivalent qualifications. Please note that applicants may be required to complete an employment test as part of the selection process for this position. Those applicants that are selected for an interview will be requested to contact the Human Resource Advisor assigned to this competition as soon as possible to discuss any accommodation requirements. Arrangements will be made to accommodate your request in a timely manner. Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions.
View complete position description
Please confirm that you have updated your candidate profile, if you are a returning applicant. Please note your profile includes important screening information.
Implementation Scientist, University of Alberta, Canada, about 12 hours ago
The Office of Lifelong Learning and Physician Learning Program (PLP) is part of the Faculty of Medicine and Dentistry (FoMD), and works to enhance the knowledge and skills of community practition...
Procurement Specialist, University of Mississippi, United States, 19 days ago
Note for Current UM Employees Current employees must apply internally via connectU > connectu.olemiss.edu Definition of Class This position manages staff and the daily activities of purchasing of ...
Operations Coordinator, University of Mississippi, United States, about 4 hours ago
Note for Current UM Employees Current employees must apply internally via connectU > connectu.olemiss.edu Definition of Class This position coordinates the daily operations of assigned areas to en...
Digital Content Specialist, University of Mississippi, United States, about 4 hours ago
Note for Current UM Employees Current employees must apply internally via connectU > connectu.olemiss.edu Definition of Class This position develops and implements social media strategies to raise...
Associate Professor In General Nursing, Ucd School Of Nursing, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 23 days ago
Applications are invited for a permanent post of a Associate Professor in General Nursing within UCD School of Nursing , Midwifery and Health Systems. The School University College Dublin is a res...
Assistant Director Of Facility Management Athletics, University of Mississippi, United States, about 4 hours ago
Note for Current UM Employees Current employees must apply internally via connectU > connectu.olemiss.edu Definition of Class This position oversees the maintenance of athletic buildings and venue...