Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply.
If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or position at McGill University), do not apply through this Career Site. Login to your McGill Workday account and apply to this posting using the Find Jobs report (type Find Jobs in the search bar).
Reporting to the Director, Administration and Finance, and the Associate Dean, Undergraduate Dental Education, the incumbent will oversee all student affairs functions at the Faculty as well as the undergraduate dental education (DMD) program. The role is responsible for senior level academic advising and for ensuring that the management of student records are aligned with University standards and procedures. The Student Affairs Officer ensures a positive student experience to achieve and maintain a high level of student satisfaction. The incumbent is the point person and expert for input on various types of documentation related to student affairs and supervises a team of student affairs coordinators and program administrators.
- Provides support and acts as advisor to the Associate Dean, Undergraduate Dental Education.
- Develops guidelines and policies with respect to the faculty’s teaching requirements at the undergraduate level (DMD Program), examination protocols, grade submissions and promotions.
- In conjunction with the Associate Dean, Undergraduate Dental Education, helps develop the new DMD program and liaises with the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences to ensure the smooth integration of Dental Medicine and Oral Health Sciences Programs with Medicine and Health Sciences Programs. Responsible for preparing new courses/course revisions/program revisions with the Sub-Committee on Courses and Teaching Programs (SCTP).
- Oversees all administrative aspects of undergraduate teaching under the direction of the Associate Dean, Undergraduate Dental Education.
- Holds the role of Secretary of the Curriculum and Student Promotions Committees of the faculty and ensures that all provincial and Federal Agency requirements are met. Attends the monthly Sub-committee on Students Records (SCSR) committee and the Faculty Student Faculty Liaison Committee (SFLC) meetings. Ensures that the organization and preparation for the committee meetings are done in accordance with governance rules and timelines.
- Responsible for all student affairs activities related to prospective/current undergraduate including admission registration, registration, program/course requirements, class scheduling, course administration, examinations, mark submissions and approvals, and graduation.
- Keeps the Faculty informed of changes to University regulations/policies, and organizes the process of prizes, awards and scholarships.
- Makes recommendations and advises on solutions when appropriate; ensures efficient and effective implementation and execution of policy changes and new initiatives through management of resources and continuous improvement to support the strategic direction of the unit.
- Represents the Department at network groups and academic Faculty of Science advisors (Dent-P) to discuss any arising issues, procedures and new initiatives.
- Provides guidance on academic issues to facilitate the pursuit of academic goals and ensures that students fully benefit from their student experience.
- Facilitates and develops weekly meetings to keep team abreast in the day-to-day operations of the unit.
- Advises undergraduate students; provides individual and group advising for students on academic issues; counsels students on study and/or student related difficulties and determines course of action to be taken to resolve problems ranging from personal student issues to academic issues.
- Ensures that all student affairs related issues ranging from exams to class scheduling are effectively managed.
- Provides professional advice and judgment regarding conflict resolution between students and supervisors, guides students to appropriate resources or escalates to Associate Dean Undergraduate Education.
- Evaluates student records of undergraduate students regarding course and program requirements for graduation. Approves and recommends students for graduation on behalf of the faculty and finalizes grades and student standings on transcripts.
- Manages various surveys for the faculty such as Commission on Dental Accreditation, Canadian Dental Association, etc.
- Consults with the National Dental Examining Board of Canada (NDEB) and l’Ordre des dentistes du Quebec (ODQ).
- Coordinates the convocation and white coat ceremonies, notifies award recipients and various associations providing awards, processes awards.
- Prepares various student letters such as Dean’s Reference Letters, graduation expectancy letters, Royal College, NDEB and ODQ licensure letters, registration letters, etc.
- Maintains the e-Calendar for the faculty.
- Authorizes all grade submissions and changes on behalf of the department.
- Administers examination process for courses and is responsible for ensuring marks are submitted on time.
- Supervises support staff and assigns tasks and duties.
Other Qualifying Skills And/Or Abilities:
- Proven experience with Student Affairs.
- Attention to detail, with strong problem-solving, priority-setting, and organizational skills.
- Excellent customer service and listening skills, including the ability to advise students in difficult situations.
- Demonstrated sense of diplomacy and experience in dealing with highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Demonstrated experience with the organization of special events.
- Supervisory experience.
- Comfortable using Microsoft Office tools for word-processing, spreadsheets, presentations, and databases including MS Office applications, Banner SIS, and Minerva, One45, myCourses and Workday.
- Demonstrated spoken and written communication skills in English and French.
Knowledge of French and English. McGill University is an English-language university where day to day duties may require English communication both verbally and in writing.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Bachelor's Degree 3 Years Related Experience /
(MPEX Grade 04) $58,470.00 - $73,090.00 - $87,710.00
Hours per Week:
33.75 (Full time)
Director Admin & Finance
Position End Date (If applicable):
Deadline to Apply:
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, firstname.lastname@example.org .
Full Time Instructor Anatomy & Physiology, Blinn College, United States, about 17 hours ago
Posting Details VEVRRA Federal Contractor – Priority referral protected veterans requested. Position Information Requisition Number 2023074F Position Title Full Time Instructor -Anatomy & Physiolo...
Graduate Program Administrator, University of Pittsburgh, United States, about 4 hours ago
Graduate Program Administrator Dent Med-Student Affairs - Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh - (23007510) Advises students and prospective students on admissions, financial aid, academic requirements, career...
Graduate Program Administrator , University of Alberta, Canada, about 7 hours ago
This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA). This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits . Location - Work prima...
Casual Academic Dentistry Credentialing Evergreen, University of Sydney, Australia, 1 day ago
We are seeking a dedicated and passionate casual academic staff to teach in the student clinics. You will be expected to teach in the third and fourth year of the Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) P...
Associate Dean Of Clinical Education Cmed, QATAR UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 15 days ago
RANK: Clinical Professor OVERVIEW: An Associate Dean of Clinical Education is required to lead the design, development and delivery of the clinical program throughout the undergraduate medical pro...
Associate Director, Office Of Diversity, Inclusion And Belonging, Harvard University, United States, about 13 hours ago
03-Oct-2023 Harvard Kennedy School 63790BR Job Summary The Office of Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging (ODIB) at Harvard Kennedy School is a dynamic unit that brings behavioral, practice, and ana...