This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA).
This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits .
Location - Work primarily takes place at Augustana Campus in Camrose, Alberta.
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
Working for the Department
The Augustana Faculty of the University of Alberta enrolls approximately 1000 undergraduate students in baccalaureate degree programs on a picturesque residential campus in the city of Camrose, 90 kilometers southeast of Edmonton. The Faculty is committed to building on its reputation for academic rigor, high-quality teaching in the tradition of the liberal arts and sciences, and extensive opportunities for students in the areas of community service learning, undergraduate research, and international study. Augustana provides a distinctive undergraduate experience characterized by close student-faculty relationships and numerous opportunities for student participation in athletics, clubs, and campus organizations. Students benefit from the advantages of a small campus while earning a degree from one of Canada’s leading universities. For information about Augustana and particular programs, please consult the Faculty webpage here .
Reporting to the Team Lead, Student Advising and Experimental Learning, the Student Advisor at the Augustana Campus advises students from a variety of disciplines and cross-disciplinary programs in their academic planning, career development and community engagement in a collaborative team environment with other advisors and administrative staff. With a strong commitment to equity, diversity and inclusivity, SAS provides all academic advising for students over the course of their program; ensures the delivery of accessibility resources on campus; delivers career advising; and supports experiential learning opportunities.
The following three areas of responsibility are core functions of the Student Advisor positions at Augustana. There are three positions that perform the services outlined below, each Student Advisor position will be assigned a lead role with either Academic Advising, Community Service-Learning (CSL), or Career Services to ensure the service provision meets the vision and needs of the Augustana Faculty. This position is a Student Advisor with a focus on Community Service Learning. There is overlap in all three positions between the categories listed below.
- Advises students about university and faculty policies and procedures to provide accurate information to assist in making academic decisions such as course selection, registration, course withdrawals, deferred exams, grades, academic standing and convocation
- Supports diverse student populations and actively works to create a welcoming and inclusive environment
- Utilizes strong knowledge of course restrictions, pre-requisites, and the impact on a student’s course selection and academic advancement
- Refers students with academic or personal concerns to the appropriate faculty member or services on campus
- Organizes and delivers workshops related to student’s academic planning for each year
- Accurately completes transfer assessments for students coming from Alberta post-secondary institutions
- Works closely with the Recruitment and Admissions staff to ensure seamless transition between offices in terms of student support and advice; collaborates with Academic Advisors in other faculties, central units and transfer institutions
- Travels to advising events and visits with community partners
Community Service-Learning (CSL)
- Works to find community service-learning placements in the Camrose area for undergraduate courses with CSL component by meeting with instructors to determine course objectives and meeting with members of partner organizations to establish fit between courses and potential placements
- Liaises with local community organizations involved in CSL courses, meeting independently with executive directors of key community partners
- Conducts check-ins with community partners by phone and in person
- Leads in-class sessions related to experiential learning and reflecting on community experiences
- Attends Augustana Campus preview day events to promote experiential education to prospective students and parents
- Ensures evaluative instruments related to experiential education are developed and distributed to students
- Demonstrated experience implementing initiatives to support and maintain equity, diversity and inclusivity in interactions with students, instructor, and colleagues; able to respond in a prompt and friendly manner to requests and inquiries including cross-cultural sensitivity
- Coaches students to identify problems and possible strategies and resources; advises students on larger life issues such as academic success, personal issues as health, isolation, financial stress and career planning
- Secures participation in and support for events and programs from the university community
- Initiates relationships with, and respond to inquiries from potential individual/organizational volunteer partners both on and off campus
- Conducts ongoing evaluation of programming efforts
- Works collaboratively with others to plan, deliver and evaluate programs and services, including, but not limited to, career forums, career mixers, job shadow week and career mentorship program
- Minimum of an undergraduate degree in social sciences, education, human services or related discipline
- Minimum 2 years of related work experience, preferably as an Academic/Student Advisor or Career Advisor; Advising experience at the University of Alberta would be an asset
- Superior customer service orientation, interpersonal skills, tact, initiative and a positive attitude
- Excellent communication (verbal and written), inter-cultural, organization and problem solving skills
- Ability to manage and prioritize large volumes of work in the face of strict deadlines
- Experience in facilitation of group sessions or teaching skills
- Event and program coordination experience
- Excellent computer experience including Microsoft office applications
- Experience with student administrative system technology (PeopleSoft- Campus Solutions) would be an asset
- Ability work independently as well as part of an integrated and collaborative team
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality when working with highly sensitive information
- Valid Class 5 Driver’s License; clear abstract
- Experience as a volunteer in various community settings is a definite asset
- Knowledge of (and ideally past participation in) experiential learning programs, particularly at Augustana
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Instructor, Dental Assisting Program School Of Health And Public Safety, SAIT Polytechnic, Canada, 1 day ago
INSTRUCTOR, DENTAL ASSISTING PROGRAM SCHOOL OF HEALTH AND PUBLIC SAFETY Calgary, AB Academic – School of Health & Public Safety / SAFA Casual – Approved Program / On-site Apply for this job The Sc...
Team Lead, International Student Advising, SAIT Polytechnic, Canada, 18 days ago
Team Lead, International Student Advising Calgary, AB Corporate Development, Applied Research & International – International Centre / APT Permanent Salary / Hybrid Apply for this job Studying abr...
Adjunct Instructor, Medical Office Assistant, Unit Clerk And Health Information Management, SAIT Polytechnic, Canada, 1 day ago
Adjunct Instructor, Medical Office Assistant, Unit Clerk and Health Information Management Calgary, AB Academic – School of Health & Public Safety / SAFA Adjunct - Approved Program / On-site Apply...
Instructor Power Engineering Technology, SAIT Polytechnic, Canada, 11 days ago
Instructor - Power Engineering Technology Calgary, AB Academic – MacPhail School of Energy / SAFA Casual – Approved Program / On-site Apply for this job The MacPhail School of Energy is the only e...
Instructor, Refrigeration And Air Conditioning Mechanic Apprenticeship, SAIT Polytechnic, Canada, 15 days ago
Instructor, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic Apprenticeship Calgary, AB Academic – School of Construction / SAFA Casual – Approved Program / On-site Apply for this job SAIT’s School of ...
Re Entry Review Specialist (Remote), The University of Arizona Global Campus, United States, 1 day ago
The Reentry Review Specialist position is a full-time employment opportunity. This role works directly with the Reentry Advisor teams who service students that have fallen out of attendance fo...