Carleton University also welcomes applications from continuing employees. If a Continuing employee is the successful candidate, this assignment will be considered a Term Assignment, and the successful candidate must obtain a leave of absence from their current and substantive position, where applicable. Permission for such leave must not be unreasonably withheld.
If you are an internal applicant, please make sure to update your current union status in your candidate profile each time you apply for a vacancy. Internal candidates will be given priority consideration at this time. Please note: Carleton University encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
About Carleton University
Carleton is a smart, caring and connected community that inspires and empowers individuals to become change leaders who drive impact in the world. Carleton's faculty and staff strive to provide a superior learning experience for our learners who hail from every province and from over 100 countries around the world. Situated on a beautiful campus bordered by the Rideau River and Canal, Carleton is just minutes from the heart of our nation's government and enjoys easy access to the many organizations, associations and businesses which thrive in Ottawa.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Manager, Digital Communications, the Social Media Coordinator is responsible for the ongoing maintenance and enhancement of Carleton University social media platforms through the creation of original interactive social media focused content, primarily by way of compelling writing, interactive multimedia (video and audio), and strategic content planning. Ensuring the department of University Communications has current and captivating content for web social presence through the creative curation, adaptation, and creation of social posts which include videos, photos, polls, profile highlights, as well as University promotional materials, including curating digital viewbooks, podcasts, magazines, and other recruitment and retention material. To do this effectively, the Social Media Coordinator must have a thorough understanding of the University’s Reputation Enhancement Project, its unique character and objectives and also comprehension of the University’s wider identity and priorities.
In conjunction with the Department of University Communications Digital Communication team, the incumbent will support reporting and analytics for social media platforms related to the growth and sustainability our flagship social media accounts. When requested, the Social Media Coordinator will liaise with, and offer social media best practices, training and guidance to members of university communication network related to promoting content on the primary social media accounts (LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, etc.).
The incumbent must possess the following qualifications:
• Experience in creating, writing, editing and producing social media and communications material is required to support communication team activities.
• Specific experience in developing content, monitoring and analyzing effectiveness of web-based communication platforms and social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram is required.
• Must have a commitment to innovation and adoption of new technologies and applications that will enhance the online experience aligning with Carleton’s strategic goals.
• Must be adept in the use of social media tools such as Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Instagram, LinkedIn, and TikTok in particular.
• Must be proficient in reporting on the effectiveness of social campaigns.
• Experience with WordPress and social listening platforms.
• Experience using any video editing tools such as Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere Pro, iMovie, or After Effects.
• Experience with the latest audio-visual equipment an asset.
• Knowledge and experience creating and promoting content on YouTube.
• Develop creative project ideas from concept, layout and style, to scripting, production, and publication.
• Ability to use voice-over techniques and tools in post-production.
• Must be proficient in using RAW files and editing photos preferably using Adobe Photoshop and/or Illustrator.
• Must be proficient with the Microsoft Office suite including Outlook e-mail templates.
• Must have experience creating fillable forms using MS Word.
• Must have experience designing and creating elaborate PowerPoint Presentations.
• Superior planning skills; understands critical paths, sets priorities and meets timelines.
• Superior organizational skills with the ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Strong professionalism, tact and diplomacy.
• Strong client service ethic and high expectation for quality.
• Strong problem-solving skills, creative thinker, self-motivated.
• Effective working in a team and independently.
Education and Experience:
The above is normally acquired through the completion of:
• Completion of a three-year college program in a related discipline in marketing, business, interactive multimedia development, social media, public relations, or communications – or requisite experience.
• A minimum of five years of related work experience in marketing, public relations, communications, journalism, or social media content creation/management is required.
Equivalencies will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to provide information which may demonstrate equivalent qualifications. Please note that applicants may be required to complete an employment test as part of the selection process for this position. Those applicants that are selected for an interview will be requested to contact the Human Resource Advisor assigned to this competition as soon as possible to discuss any accommodation requirements. Arrangements will be made to accommodate your request in a timely manner. Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions.
Important Note Regarding Pandemic Related Operations:
This position is required to work on campus. Exceptionally, since March 2020, many staff and faculty at Carleton University have been working from home in order to comply with public health requirements while continuing to provide services to support the operational functioning of the university. We are currently in the process of identifying positions that need to work on campus as part of our return to campus process. This position may be required to work temporarily remotely due to public health requirements or it may have been identified as one of the roles that are required to work on campus. If this position is required to work on campus, the successful candidate will be informed of the health and safety measures that are in place to ensure their safety on campus. If there is a requirement to work remotely (it is possible that there could be a requirement to work both remotely and on campus), the successful candidate will work with the manager to set up a remote work environment including discussing appropriate technology and requirements. Please note that once public health requirements permit, Carleton University will resume normal on campus operations and at that point there will be a timely notification provided by the manager and the requirement to working full time physically onsite will resume. Therefore, we are looking for candidates currently in or looking to relocate to the Ottawa area.
Additionally, Carleton University is continuing to maintain a safe work environment and requires mandatory vaccination against COVID-19 as per Public Health recommendations under the Reopening Ontario Act. As Carleton University requires that staff be available to attend on-campus meetings and to work, as required, in person, the successful candidate will be required to comply with this policy and be fully vaccinated before commencing employment. Subject to permitted exemptions under the Ontario Human Rights Code, if you are the successful candidate, your offer of employment will be conditional upon you attesting that you are fully vaccinated with a course of vaccines that have been approved by Health Canada and submitting appropriate proof of vaccination.
View complete position description
You must login first before attempting to apply for any postion.
Please confirm that you have updated your candidate profile, if you are a returning applicant. Please note your profile includes important screening information.
Media Relations Manager (Hybrid Schedule), HHMI, United States, about 18 hours ago
Primary Work Address: 4000 Jones Bridge Road, Chevy Chase, MD, 20815 Current HHMI Employees, click here to apply via your Workday account. HHMI is focused on supporting and moving science forward ...
Evening And Weekend Operations Supervisor, McGill University, Canada, about 11 hours ago
Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply. If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or positio...
Communications Specialist (Social Media) – Oxford College Of Emory University, Emory University, United States, 9 days ago
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contri...
Coordinator Marketing And Communications (Job Id: 43806), University of Louisville, United States, 17 days ago
Job ID: 43806 Location: School of Music Minimum Qualifications Bachelor's degree in related field and three years of related experience. An equivalent combination of education and/or experience m...
Visual Communications Specialist, Center For Security And Emerging Technology – School Of Foreign Service – Georgetown University, Georgetown University, United States, about 8 hours ago
Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitmen...
Leadership Programming & Communications Coordinator Luckyday, University of Mississippi, United States, 23 days ago
Note for Current UM Employees Current employees must apply internally via connectU > connectu.olemiss.edu Definition of Class This position provides daily operational support as a key member of th...