Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, performs technical duties in the field of engineering, metallurgy, woodworking, etc. Designs, builds and assembles various parts, equipment and apparatus. Participates in projects and experiments. Coordinates the activities of a teaching laboratory. Prepares and operates shop and laboratory equipment. Acts as resource person, resolves problems and instructs others. Compiles data. Maintains equipment.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
1.Participates in projects and experiments in the field of engineering, metallurgy, woodworking, etc. Discusses the orientation and technical demands of the projects. Reviews, selects and modifies methodology. Assumes responsibility for the technical aspects in the execution of these projects.
2. Analyzes, interprets and discusses apparatus design submissions. Designs, constructs, assembles and tests various parts, equipment and apparatus involving plastic, wood, metal, glass, ceramics, etc. Programs and operates computer controlled milling machines or lathes, etc. used to produce complex objects. Utilizes techniques such as sanding, sawing, milling, welding, shearing, grinding and lathing. Develops new methodology when required.
3. Acts as resource person, resolves problems and instructs others. Provides technical guidance and assistance concerning work methods, the use of equipment and techniques, and the analysis of results.
4. Prepares, assembles, installs, operates and distributes the equipment and materials required for shop or laboratory. Ensures the proper use of equipment and execution of projects, the accuracy of completed work and that safety procedures are followed.
5. Coordinates the activities of a teaching laboratory. Confers with professors concerning the scope and objectives of teaching laboratory sessions. Organizes laboratory schedules. Assesses equipment needs. Coordinates provision of equipment and materials. Oversees set-up of equipment. Liaises between staff and students
6. Participates in lab instruction of courses and in the development and the selection of teaching aids. Performs administrative tasks related to examinations such as arranging for invigilation and compiling grades. Participates in the correction of students' written work, such as laboratory reports and assignments.
7. Maintains equipment and performs repairs. Arranges for servicing.
8. Maintains inventory. Recommends and purchases equipment and material.
9. Keeps abreast of new developments in the field to update skills and knowledge.
10. Uses a variety of equipment, tools and instruments such as manual and computer-controlled (CNC) lathe, drill, milling machines, CAD programs, hand and power saw, thermo-forming machine, extrusion machine, surface-planer machine, spindle-molding machine, planer machine, mortising machine and welding torch.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities:
Experience as a machinist is essential. Proven ability to work with and train both students and academics, and comfort with reporting to both a technical and an administrative supervisor. Demonstrated experience using milling, lathes, service grinders, sharpeners and cutter grinders is also essential. Knowledge of best practices used in a machine shop. Experience in equipment repairs and parts is an asset. Experience with the construction, fabrication of non-ferrous and soft material, glass and ceramics. Experience in sanding, sawing, milling, welding, shearing, grinding, lathing and sharpening. Solid knowledge and understanding of health and safety rules and requirements. Excellent communication skills with the ability to resolve problems efficiently and effectively. Ability to interact with and instruct students and academics, both in one-on-one and group-training capacities. Ability to take initiative and be resourceful. Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to multi-task. Proven ability to work autonomously and as part of a team. Microsoft Office proficiency. English and French, spoken and written.
Minimum Education and Experience:
DEC III - Electronics Technology 2 Years Related Experience / DEC III - Mechanical Engineering Technology
(MUNACA Level 10) $22.87 - $31.52
Hours per Week:
35 (Full time)
Machine Shop Supervisor (ER)
Position End Date (If applicable):
Deadline to Apply:
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, firstname.lastname@example.org or 514-398-3711.
Research Engineer, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 22 days ago
Job Description To develop models for machine learning based mobile application for rehabilitation purpose such as elderly care detection and physiotherapeutic treatment Design and Develop machine...
Junior Researcher In Speech Technology, Radboud University, Netherlands, 5 days ago
You will work on a new and challenging application-oriented project with significant societal impact: SignON is a user-centric and community-driven project that aims to facilitate the exchange of ...
Researchers In (Meta)Omics Techniques Development (Ref 198843), University of Oslo, Norway, 5 days ago
We are recruiting a researcher in the area of microbial ecology to work on the development of novel techniques combining microfluidics and molecular biology approaches at the Department of Bioscie...
Associate Professor In Electrical Machines And Drives, Aalborg University, Denmark, about 1 hour ago
At the Faculty of Engineering and Science, Department of Energy Technology, a position as Associate Professor in Electrical Machines and drives is open for appointment from 1 July 2021 or soon her...
5 Software Engineer Positions (# Of Pos: 5), University of Cyprus, Cyprus, 13 days ago
Job-Specific Skills and Expertise: The applicants can be junior entry level or experienced research engineers. They need to demonstrate good understanding in some of the skills in one of the follo...
Research Engineer, Times Higher Education, United Kingdom, 1 day ago
Job Description Successful candidates shall provide the research, technology development, engineering, and project planning activities in Advanced Robotics Centre (ARC) as a multi-disciplinary ski...