If you are an internal applicant, please make sure to update your current union status in your candidate profile each time you apply for a vacancy. Internal candidates will be given priority consideration at this time. Please note: Carleton University encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
About Carleton University
Carleton University is one of Canada's most resourceful and productive hubs of learning and research, fuelling a rich talent pipeline that is supporting social and economic renewal. The university's smart, caring and connected community inspires and empowers individuals to become change leaders who drive impact in the world while challenging conventional modes of thinking and doing. Carleton is recognized annually as a top regional employer and is a recipient of the Canada Awards for Excellence, Healthy Workplace Order of Excellence, and Platinum Level Certification for Mental Health at Work. Situated on unceded Algonquin territory and bordered by the Rideau River and historic Rideau Canal in Ottawa, Carleton is just minutes from the heart of our nation's government and G-7 organizations, providing opportunities for staff and faculty to make a positive impact in our community and around the world.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Manager, Project Management Office (PMO), the Senior Project Management Specialist is responsible for conducting multiple larger scoped projects concurrently and is capable of managing stakeholder expectations and interests that span several areas of the University. The projects led by the Senior Project Management Specialist are strategic and transformational in nature; they are of a medium to large scale (in complexity, time and budget).
The Senior Project Management Specialist is responsible for developing and managing all project work during each process of the project lifecycle: initiation, planning, execution, monitoring, controlling and closeout.
The Senior Project Management Specialist is accountable for ensuring the identified project objectives are delivered on time and within budget. The incumbent is responsible for coordinating the project management work in an organizational matrix structure. The Senior Project Management Specialist is also responsible for identifying stakeholders and facilitating their engagement.
The Senior Project Management Specialist is responsible for providing professional project management leadership. The Senior Project Management Specialist is expected to contribute to the development of project management standards, processes and tools to grow the foundation of the PMO.
The incumbent is also responsible to ensure that the systems within the University are developed, designed and implemented, in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
The incumbent is responsible for defining user requirements for Enterprise Systems (Student Services, HR, Finance, Alumni, and Faculty Administration) and system development, analyzing alternative system solutions, proposing and/or reviewing system design to ensure requirements are met, provide advice and manage the implementation of system enhancement/changes. The incumbent will design, develop and implement improved business processes and system enhancements and application development. The incumbent is responsible for functional process improvement, development, redesign and renewal. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring users are trained.
The incumbent must possess the following qualifications:
• Must have excellent knowledge of MS Project, Visio, and spreadsheet software such as Excel and Word.
• The incumbent must possess a solid knowledge and comprehension of:
- Enterprise information systems.
- Systems development methodologies.
- Change Management.
• Excellent knowledge of Project Management methodologies are required; highly developed analytical, problem solving and organizational skills and highly developed ability to think logically through complex procedural and systems processes.
• Highly developed leadership and team building skills; interpersonal skills; communication, presentation and consultation skills are required.
• Excellent client service and conflict resolution skills to establish effective liaison and rapport with University staff at all levels; high level of tact and diplomacy; interviewing and group workshop skills; highly motivated self-starter with proven ability to work without supervision are all essential to the position.
• Experience with process workflow modeling tools is an asset; packaged software implementation experience for large systems is an asset; experience with the design and implementation of custom developed systems is an asset; knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning – ERP including core Banner/FAST modules is an asset; and knowledge and understanding University core business processes is an asset.
• The incumbent will have practical experience in the following areas:
- Budget development and administration
- Project resource management (planning, budgeting, project performance measurement) within a matrix environment
• In addition to a high energy and engagement level, the incumbent will have the ability to work in a team environment, adapt to changing environments, possess exceptional organization skills, meet deadlines and work under pressure.
• Highly effective interpersonal skills are required to build and maintain effective relationships with professional colleagues, system users, faculty members, and administrators.
• Strong leadership and team-building skills in order to effectively coordinate and lead in the achievement of project objectives while at the same time providing excellent client service.
Education and Experience:
The above is normally acquired through the completion of:
• Completion of an honours degree from a University, ideally with a focus in both computer science and project management
• Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is considered a strong asset.
• Seven years of related experience in project management, preferably in the technology industry
Carleton University and CUPE 2424 are currently completing a joint job evaluation and pay equity project. The University and the Union are working together to describe the skills, effort, responsibilities and working conditions associated with every CUPE 2424 job, including this one. As a result, the job description that is currently associated with this posting (for recruitment purposes) may be revised to reflect the actual duties captured in the new job descriptions.
By applying for this job you are acknowledging that the actual duties associated with this job may differ somewhat from those identified in the job posting and that you will agree to perform the duties of this job as determined through the joint job evaluation process.
Equivalencies will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to provide information which may demonstrate equivalent qualifications. Please note that applicants may be required to complete an employment test as part of the selection process for this position. Those applicants that are selected for an interview will be requested to contact the Human Resource Advisor assigned to this competition as soon as possible to discuss any accommodation requirements. Arrangements will be made to accommodate your request in a timely manner. Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions.
Important Note Regarding Pandemic Related Operations:
This position is required to work on campus. Exceptionally, since March 2020, many staff and faculty at Carleton University have been working from home in order to comply with public health requirements while continuing to provide services to support the operational functioning of the university. We are currently in the process of identifying positions that need to work on campus as part of our return to campus process. This position may be required to work temporarily remotely due to public health requirements or it may have been identified as one of the roles that are required to work on campus. If this position is required to work on campus, the successful candidate will be informed of the health and safety measures that are in place to ensure their safety on campus. If there is a requirement to work remotely (it is possible that there could be a requirement to work both remotely and on campus), the successful candidate will work with the manager to set up a remote work environment including discussing appropriate technology and requirements. Please note that once public health requirements permit, Carleton University will resume normal on campus operations and at that point there will be a timely notification provided by the manager and the requirement to working full time physically onsite will resume. Therefore, we are looking for candidates currently in or looking to relocate to the Ottawa area.
Additionally, Carleton University is continuing to maintain a safe work environment and requires mandatory vaccination against COVID-19 as per Public Health recommendations under the Reopening Ontario Act. As Carleton University requires that staff be available to attend on-campus meetings and to work, as required, in person, the successful candidate will be required to comply with this policy and be fully vaccinated before commencing employment. Subject to permitted exemptions under the Ontario Human Rights Code, if you are the successful candidate, your offer of employment will be conditional upon you attesting that you are fully vaccinated with a course of vaccines that have been approved by Health Canada and submitting appropriate proof of vaccination.
View complete position description
You must login first before attempting to apply for any postion.
Please confirm that you have updated your candidate profile, if you are a returning applicant. Please note your profile includes important screening information.
Cihr Tier 2 Crc In Accessibility And/Or Patient Centered Care At Carleton University, Canadian Association for Neuroscience, Canada, about 24 hours ago
About the Position Field of Specialization: CIHR Tier 2 CRC in Accessibility and/or Patient-Centered Care Academic Unit: Faculty of Science Category of Appointment: Preliminary (tenure-track) or t...
Cihr Tier 2 Crc In Indigenous, Racialized And/Or Vulnerable Populations – Carleton University, Canadian Association for Neuroscience, Canada, about 24 hours ago
About the Position Field of Specialization: CIHR Tier 2 CRC in Indigenous, Racialized and/or Vulnerable Populations Academic Unit: Faculty of Science Category of Appointment: Preliminary (tenure-t...
Project Manager: Main Wood Joint Initiative , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 2 days ago
60%-80%, Zurich, fixed-term Mainstreaming Wood Construction (MainWood), a new 3-year Joint Initiative project, will be launched in March 2023 to address the challenge of scaling up and mainstreami...
Networks Support Officer, University of Sydney, Australia, about 6 hours ago
Full-time continuing position based at our Camperdown campus Manage the development and implementation of work stream project plans to support the Faculty of Medicine and Health’s Research Network...
Digital Project Manager (Hybrid Schedule), HHMI, United States, about 3 hours ago
Primary Work Address: 4000 Jones Bridge Road, Chevy Chase, MD, 20815 Current HHMI Employees, click here to apply via your Workday account. The Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) advances the d...
Move And Installation Coordinator, University of Alberta, Canada, 10 days ago
This competition is restricted to internal applicants of the University of Alberta. Please indicate your internal status using the "Advertisement" drop down menu when applying. This position is a ...