This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA).
This position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits .
Location - North campus
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
The Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, including the School of Mining and Petroleum Engineering, aims to maintain its position among the top schools in North America. With a present complement of more than 65 faculty members, research in the Department is vigorous and covers all major areas of Civil, Environmental, Mining, and Petroleum Engineering. Our graduate program attracts outstanding students from the best schools worldwide and presently has an enrollment of over 500 students, including approximately 200 PhD students. The undergraduate programs in Civil and Environmental Engineering, Mining Engineering, and Petroleum Engineering enroll close to 1000 students.
Reporting to the Director of the Construction Innovation Centre (CIC) in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, the Technical Writer plays a key role in the coordination and finalization of academic publications and communication materials produced by the faculty, staff, and students associated with the CIC. The successful candidate will have excellent communication (verbal and written), organizational, and interpersonal skills, and exceptional organization skills with the ability to multi-task and manage time without losing attention to detail.
- Assists with editing and proofreading graduate dissertations
- Performs high-level editing and formatting for academic journal and conference paper submissions
- Assists in developing written and graphic communications and public relations material for the CIC
- Researches and writes materials that raise awareness and the profile of the CIC
- Quickly assesses the writing style necessary for each project and effortlessly transitions one style to another
- Works in a collaborative environment where consultation with the CIC faculty and graduate students determines the guiding principles for each writing project
- Writes for and updates the CIC website, researches and contributes to articles, produces the CIC newsletter, prepares speaker notes and other correspondence as required by the Director
- Produces clear, concise, and accurate material for different audiences and in various online and printed forms; this includes, but is not limited to, technical reports, PowerPoint Presentations, thesis editing, as well as website articles and content management
- Communicates with printers and publishers
- Communicates and cultivates relationships with external stakeholders (e.g., industry partners, government agencies, etc.)
- Edits, updates, and maintains the CIC website
- Assists with a variety of projects and initiatives such as conferences, workshops, and short Industry courses
- May include writing instruction, tutorials, and independent research as necessary
- Performs other related duties as required
- Bachelor's Degree (in English, Communications, or a related discipline preferred; equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered)
- Proficiency in the use of the Microsoft Suite of applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Proficiency in the use of Google applications (Docs, Sheets, Sites)
- Familiarity with conventions in forms, structure, and notations of technical writing
- Familiarity with a variety of writing style guides
- Familiarity with the policies and practices of the University of Alberta
- Familiarity with academic writing and with the academic publication process
- Experience with creating/populating/maintaining a website
- Proficiency with desktop publishing software (e.g., Adobe InDesign, Microsoft Publisher)
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Assistant / Associate Professor (Petroleum Engineering), UNITED ARAB EMIRATES UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 27 days ago
Job Description The Department of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering (CPE) at the United Arab Emirates University (UAEU) invites application for a full-time faculty position in Petroleum Engineeri...
Research Engineer (Department Of Materials Science And Engineering), NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, United Kingdom, 9 days ago
Job Description The research engineer will design different 3D structures for oil/water separation. He/she will use additive manufacturing for fabrication of ceramic samples, and will test their ...
Assistant / Associate Professor (Petroleum Engineering), UNITED ARAB EMIRATES UNIVERSITY, United Arab Emirates, 29 days ago
12 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company UNITED ARAB EMIRATES UNIVERSITY Research Field Chemistry Engineering Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Coun...
Research Engineer (Department Of Materials Science And Engineering), NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, Singapore, 8 days ago
1 Jun 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE Research Field Chemistry Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Singapor...
One Vacant Position For A Full Time Senior Scientist (M/W/D) At The Chair Of Petroleum And Geothermal Energy Recovery In The Department Petroleum Engineering Referenznummer: 2305 Wpf, Personalabteilung der Montanuniversität Leoben, Austria, 16 days ago
25 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company Personalabteilung der Montanuniversität Leoben Research Field All Researcher Profile First Stage Researcher (R1) Country Austria Application Deadli...
Research Associate In The Center For Smart Engineering Materials, Jamie Whelan, NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI, United Arab Emirates, 21 days ago
19 May 2023 Job Information Organisation/Company NEW YORK UNIVERSITY ABU DHABI Research Field Chemistry Engineering Chemistry Researcher Profile Recognised Researcher (R2) Established Researcher (...