Reporting to the Trustholder, the Research Manager will be responsible for supporting the research program of the Trustholder by providing executive-level assistance in financial and administrative matters.
The Research Manager will not actively participate in conducting research, but will manage projects and operational activities to ensure that the research program runs efficiently and that all requirements of the external partners are met on time and on budget. The Research Manager will also play a key strategic role in the research program by providing input on the long term vision of the program and assisting the Trustholder in communicating with both internal and external partners.
Successful candidates will be required to demonstrate experience and knowledge of:
- The preparation of reports for granting and funding agencies
- The sourcing of and applying for research grants
- The management of project budgets including forecasting and financial analysis
- The connection between industry partners, government partners, and University research groups
- Strong technical writing skills
- The ability to synthesize technical information from multiple sources for review by non-technical entities
Responsibilities of the position include:
- Understand the scope, objectives, and deliverables of the research program and provide managerial leadership to large scope research initiatives
- Ensure that stakeholder requirements are met on-time and on-budget, including the preparation of reports and materials for external stakeholders
- Create and implement tools and processes needed to meet research project objectives and deliverables
- Manage internal reporting processes (develop templates, set-up new projects, set internal deadlines based on external reporting requirements, track projects and budgets)
- Review the quality of the work completed with the Trustholder and research teams to ensure that they satisfy the project scope, timelines, budgets, deliverables, etc.
- Prepare scientific and financial reports for external partners (i.e., the funding agencies)
- Provide financial management for research project funds to ensure optimum use of financial resources
- Develop external communication strategies to update stakeholders on the progress of the research program
- Manage the coordination of research project symposia, conferences, seminars, and other dissemination and networking activities
- Facilitate and assist the Trustholder and co-investigators with business development and research funding solicitation initiatives
- Assist in the creation of competitive grant applications, including writing applications and providing strategic advice to the Trustholder
- Find and source funding opportunities to advance the research program
- Travel to industry partner sites, meetings, conferences, and other events as required by the Research Program
The Research Manager is required to have expertise in several areas due to the range and complexity of the research program and will be required to communicate with persons at all levels of the University, Industry, and Granting Agencies. The Research Manager must be able to understand the implications of contract terms negotiated and of other contractual and development related activities. As the research program is highly technical in nature, the Research Manager should have a strong background in science and engineering. Specific qualifications include:
- MSc minimum (PhD preferred) with preference given to engineering and applied science or equivalent disciplines. Knowledge in related energy and environment research areas would be an asset.
- 5+ years of progressively responsible experience in managing multi-disciplinary groups and being involved in complex projects including managing budgets, technical report writing, scientific communications, stakeholder engagement, and business development
- Professional designation in a relevant field of work (i.e. PEng or equivalent) would be considered an asset
- Experience working in an academic or research setting
- Experience with grant proposal strategy development and writing
- Demonstrated ability in project design, management, and completion
- Proven ability to think strategically and work effectively in an environment prone to ongoing and emergent management issues and changing priorities
- Ability to provide technical or administrative presentations
- Ability to learn technical concepts quickly
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills with the ability to interact with a diverse set of stakeholders
- Proficiency in the use of common software for word processing, databases, spreadsheets and online communication tools
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft Enterprise software would be considered an asset
In accordance with the Trust/Research Academic Staff Agreement , this position has an approximate end date of August 31, 2022, with a possibility of extension, offers a comprehensive benefits package found at Faculty & Staff Benefits and annual salary range of $58,210 - $80,050.
Competition for this position is limited to Canadian Citizens and Permanent Residents of Canada.
To apply for this position, please include a resume and cover letter that highlights how your experience lends itself to the duties listed above, specifically the experience and knowledge required for the position.
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
Public Patient Involvement (Ppi) Manager, RCSI - Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Ireland, 6 days ago
Title: RCSI Public Patient Involvement (PPI) Manager Department: Office of Research and Innovation, RCSI Tenure: Full time, specified purpose contract for up to 5 years Location: 123 St Stephen’s ...
Project Manager For Multiply Project, ISGLOBAL, Spain, 14 days ago
The Barcelona Institute for Global Health, ISGlobal, is the fruit of an innovative alliance between academic, government, and philanthropic institutions to contribute to the efforts undertaken by ...
Program Administration Manager I Office Of Research Administration, Boston Children's Hospital, United States, about 18 hours ago
The Office of Research Administration at Boston Children's Hospital seeks an experienced Project Manager (PM). This candidate will lead the research executive committee governance initiatives as r...
Director, Ovcr Research Communications (Job Id #139972), University of Illinois, United States, 1 day ago
This position will have responsibility for the development and oversight of both internal and external communications strategies as well as external relations for the Office of the Vice Chancellor...
Budget Director, Boston Children's Hospital, United States, about 17 hours ago
At Boston Children's Hospital, success is measured in patients treated, parents comforted and teams taught. It's in discoveries made, processes perfected, and technology advanced through major med...
Research Project Manager Precision Vaccines, Boston Children's Hospital, United States, 13 days ago
The Precision Vaccines Program at Boston Children's Hospital seeks a Project Manager (PM). The Program is a platform to enhance collaboration between academia, government and industry to develop n...