Research Institute of the MUHC
Information technology and communication
$83,410.60 - $154,900.20 /Year
The McGill University Health Centre (MUHC) is one of the world’s foremost academic health centres offering tertiary and quaternary (complex) care. With the medical leadership of its founding hospitals and in a bilingual environment, the MUHC offers exceptional quality multidisciplinary care focused on patient needs. Affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine of McGill University, the MUHC continues to shape the course of adult and pediatric medicine by attracting clinical and research expertise from around the world, assessing the latest in medical technology, and training the next generation of medical professionals.
The MUHC is also a leading hub for knowledge development and transfer through its integrated health care, education, research, technology assessment and intervention, as well as for the quality of the patient experience.
The McGill University Health Centre (MUHC) has approximately 10,100 employees, 1,587 physicians, dentists and pharmacists, 2,100 researchers, investigators and research centre members, 2,200 volunteers and more than 1,200 graduate and postgraduate students.
In collaboration with our network partners, we are building a better future for our patients and their families, for our employees, professionals, researchers and students, for our community and above all, for life.
RESEARCH INSTITUTE OF THE MUHC
The Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre (RI-MUHC) is a world-renowned biomedical and hospital research centre. Located in Montreal, Quebec, the Institute is the research arm of the McGill University Health Centre (MUHC) affiliated with the Faculty of Medicine at McGill University. The RI-MUHC is supported in part by the Fonds de recherche du Québec - Santé (FRQS).
The Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre (RI-MUHC), is seeking a Director, Digital and Information Technology Division (DITD).
The incumbent will be reporting to the Chief Operating and Development Officer of the RI-MUHC. The Director, Digital and Information Technology Division is primarily responsible to oversee the strategy, project execution and operation of the DITD, and to ensure it aligns with the vision and business objectives of the RI-MUHC. The incumbent will provide leadership and direction, oversee the procurement and deployment of innovative IT digital and research computing platform that adequately support and enhance research data-driven infrastructure, information technology landscape and security controls. The Director will direct, provide, establish and oversee all DITD service agreements for the research community. The incumbent will act, and collaborate closely with key stakeholders and management of research administrative divisions, research centers and programs, MUHC hospital departments including MUHC Information Services and Information Security.
• Leads the development of the strategy and framework for activities under their authority. Where necessary, re-engineers the divisional structure and operations to ensure they align with administrative operations, data-driven research ecosystem, and RI-MUHC strategic vision,
• Develops and achieves operational support objectives and goals aligned with organizational vision,
• Develops short- and long-term roadmaps to incorporate state of the art practices and service delivery processes to meet the needs of administration and the research community,
• Conducts regular operational review meetings with the manager and participates on an ad-hoc basis to weekly team activity review meetings,
• Ensures targeted services and performance standards are achieved or exceeded,
• Defines and builds competent and dedicated professional and technical teams to deliver successful projects and efficient services,
• Implements hiring and training practices, best coaching practices, skills development and succession planning with the assistance of the Human Resources Division,
• Conducts regular performance appreciation reviews with the collaboration of the manager, promoting excellence and maintaining good team building and motivational activities,
• Determines the division’s budgetary needs, identifies internal and external revenue opportunities, prepares and submits for approval annually divisional budget, authorizes spending within the limits of the budget, controls budgets and prepares financial forecasts,
• Ensures the division conducts pre-purchase evaluations, vendors research, cost of ownership assessment and other activities in support of equipment acquisitions,
• Establishes and manages communication channels within and among departments, liaises with other directors of divisions, participates in internal management operational and strategic committee meetings, meets and communicates with the CODO and occasionally with the Executive Director and Chief Scientific Officer to update them on activities and issues pertaining to the division’s areas of responsibility,
• Uses their knowledge of healthcare, information systems, data and analytics and information technology security to gather, store, interpret and manage the massive amount of data generated when care is provided to patients and research participants,
• Proposes, selects, and implements data analytics capabilities leveraging electronic health records for research keeping up with technological and analytical advances. Deals with data governance issues and data policies including data privacy and security,
• Maintains a constant dialogue with internal stakeholders including: administration, directors of divisions, directors of research centers, program leaders and managers, and technological platforms directors to assess their technological and technical needs and level of satisfaction,
• Builds connections and maintains a dialogue with industry partners as well as other nonprofit organizations.
• Stays abreast of technology trends in order to provide informed recommendations and make the right decisions contributing to business process improvement and research activities enhancement in alignment with organizational vision, mission and objectives,
• Stays up-to-date with literature in biomedical informatics and clinical informatics to identify appropriate advances and new trends,
• Works collaboratively with research projects along the scientific pipeline such as clinical informatics and bioinformatics project plans, participates in the design and deployment of systems for the processing of large volumes of primary and derived research data, data mining, statistical analysis and results reporting. Provides direct support for the joint RI-MUHC and MUHC clinical data warehouse initiative,
• Reviews performance of information technology systems to determine operating costs, productivity levels, and upgrade requirements,
• Benchmarks, analyzes, reports and makes recommendations for the improvement of the data architecture and technology infrastructure.
• Authorizes and oversees the deployment, monitoring, maintenance, development, and support of all hardware and software based on division’s needs,
• Develops business case justifications and cost/benefit analyses for spending and initiatives,
• Directs research on potential technology solutions and implementation in support of new initiatives, opportunities, and procurement efforts,
• Oversees provision of end-user services, including help desk and technical support,
• Develops and implements policies and procedures, including those for architecture, security, disaster recovery, purchasing, and service provision,
• Oversees negotiation and administration of vendor, outsourcer, and consultant contracts and service agreements,
• Participates in all IT security or operational audit processes as dictated by MUHC IT Security.
Education / Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in computer science, software engineering, or related field,
• Master’s degree in computer science, software engineering or health informatics would be an asset,
• Expertise in business management or related field (preferred).
• Minimum of 3-4 years of IT Director level experience (recent experience last 24 months),
• Minimum 12 years of IT and/or business-related systems experience in a complex organization,
• Minimum of 5 years of management leadership experience with IT cross-functional organization (applications, data, infrastructure, and end user computer services) (recent experience last 24 months),
• Proven experience with data-driven service: Big data, Data vault, Data lake, Data harmonization (recent experience last 24 months),
• Experience with cybersecurity program definition and implementation (recent experience last 36 months),
• Proven experience in IT strategic planning and development, application development, project management, and policy development. (Recent experience last 24 months),
• Lead a team of professionals with a focus on collaborative and results-oriented approach, attract, manage and develop talent, and maintain performance management in conjunction with human resources management, practices, and procedures,
• Strong customer relationship and problem-solving skills,
• Experience with systems design and development from business requirements analysis through to day-to-day management,
• Experience with departmental budget creation and management,
• A strong knowledge of the rules and policies surrounding health data, and applicable laws and regulations as they related to data privacy and security,
• Experience in healthcare, and research computing (HPC, AL/ML) is an asset,
• Some related experience in clinical research informatics and/or bioinformatics is an asset.
• French and English bilingualism,
• Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills,
• Strong executive presence (recent 24 months),
• Strong aptitude in negotiation, and stakeholders’ management,
• Strong leadership skills, decision making, good problem-solving skills,
• Requires excellent communication, organization, presentation, analytical and computer skills, Microsoft Office and other related software,
• Ability to present ideas in business-friendly and user-friendly language,
• Highly self-motivated, self-directed, and attentive to detail,
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment,
• Extensive experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Status : Full-Time
Pay Scale: $83,410.60 to $154,900.20 Commensurate with education and work experience.
Work Shift: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Mondays to Fridays
Work Site: Glen site
Why work with us?
• 5-week vacation, 5th week after 5 years,
• Paid time off during the Holidays,
• Bank of 12 paid days (personal days and days for sickness or family obligations),
• 13 paid statutory holidays,
• Modular group insurance plan (including gender affirmation coverage),
• RRPE government pension plan (defined benefit),
• Courses and professional development opportunities,
• Flex work options and much more!
To learn more about our benefits, please visit http://rimuhc.ca/en/compensation-and-benefits
THIS IS NOT A HOSPITAL POSITION.
Equal Opportunity Employment Program
The Research Institute of the McGill University Health Centre hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity, diversity and inclusion within its community. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates who self-identify as members of racialized groups/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and 2SLGBTQIA+ persons. We also welcome candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may confidentially contact, firstname.lastname@example.org
Assistant Or Associate Professor (Research), McGill University, Canada, about 1 month ago
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences – Department of Surgery, Division of Thoracic Surgery Position description The McGill University Department of Surgery, in collaboration with the Research I...
Faculty Of Medicine And Health Sciences – Department Of Surgery, Division Of Thoracic Surgery, Nature Careers, Canada, about 1 month ago
Reference no: C - 230920 Assistant or Associate Professor (Research) Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences – Department of Surgery, Division of Thoracic Surgery Position description The McGill U...
Assistant/Associate Professor (Research) – Department Of Psychiatry (C2 230921), McGill University Department of Psychiatry, Canada, about 2 months ago
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences – Department of Psychiatry and the Douglas Research Centre Position description The Department of Psychiatry at McGill University and the Douglas Research C...
Assistant, Associate Or Full Professor, Université de Montréal, Département de pathologie et biologie cellulaire, Canada, 2 months ago
Assistant, Associate or Full Professor in the field of mammalian reproductive or early developmental biology. Department of Pathology and Cell Biology, Faculty of Medicine The Department of Pathol...
Executive Director, Institute for Research in Immunology and Cancer (IRIC), Université de Montréal, Canada, about 1 month ago
English text follows Description du poste Direction générale Sommaire de la fonction Relevant du comité exécutif de l’UdeM, représenté par le.a vice-recteur.trice à la recherche, à la découverte, ...
Full Time Tenure Track Professor, University of Montreal, Canada, 2 months ago
Deeply rooted in Montreal and dedicated to its international mission, Université de Montréal is one of Canada’s top 100 Employers. Like the city whose name it bears, it is effervescent and multicu...