This competition is open to all applicants however internal candidates and applicants who were former employees of the University of Alberta in the past 18 months will be given priority consideration before external candidates. Please indicate your internal status using the "Advertisement" drop-down menu when applying.
The position has an end date of 12 months and will be located at the University of Alberta Campus.
This work focuses on development of a clinical device known as the Advanced System for Implant Stability Testing (ASIST) for non-invasive evaluation of the bone-implant interface in lower limb osseointegrated implants. The ASIST isolates the interface properties by measuring the acceleration upon impact with the implant system, in combination with an analytical model that is based on vibration theory. We aim to apply this technique in the clinic to track the stability of the bone-implant interface over the time, thereby providing a method to detect early loosening of the implant.
We are seeking a Research Engineer to develop the next generation ASIST unit, with a particular focus on lower limb implants. The successful candidate will work in an inter-disciplinary team including electrical and mechanical engineers, graduate students, and clinicians. The position will require leadership in the development aspects and a dynamic and cooperative team approach, so strong communication and team working skills are an asset. Ability to work under tight timelines with concrete deliverables is required. This work is funded by a Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program grant.
- Developing and finalizing design criteria
- Integrating multiple components into a prototype
- Benchtop testing prototypes
- Iterating design features in response to feedback from the team
- M.Sc. in Mechatronics Engineering (mechanical, electrical, or biomedical engineering with mechatronics focus or relevant experience will be considered)
- Experience in at least 2 of the following areas especially when applied to medical devices:
- Mechanical design – solid modeling (e.g. Solidworks or similar) and prototyping of parts using 3D printing and traditional manufacturing
- Electrical design – prototyping of circuits for sensor acquisition, signal processing, and control of electromagnetic based actuators
- Software design – proficiency in multiple programming languages (e.g. Matlab/python/C#/C++ or similar) and the ability to pick up new languages quickly for software development on computers and microcontrollers
- Experience gathering requirements, developing test methods to validate prototypes, and preparing related documentation.
- Familiarity in the following areas is an asset:
- Vibrations and dynamics
- PCB design (EagleCAD, Altium, or similar) and fabrication
- Wireless communication design
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Id 3107 Myki – Ga 679820, Pr19 Rr P3 – Bioarm, Pr19 Cr P1 – Mio Pro, Wi Fi Myo Hand, Rgm5: (Re) Give... (# Of Pos: 2), Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna di Pisa, Italy, 11 days ago
We seek to advance the dexterity of upper limb prostheses. We are particularly interested in addressing this issue using novel myokinetic multi-channel recording techniques. The successful candida...
Assistant Professor In Human Computer Interaction, Tilburg University, Netherlands, 5 days ago
The successful candidates are expected to initiate and conduct research in the Tilburg Center for Cognition and Communication (TiCC ). Researchers in TiCC explore cognitive and social aspects of h...
Technical Demonstrator Fab Lab, Massey University, New Zealand, about 19 hours ago
School of Design College of Creative Arts Wellington CCA_SD_1283_10/21 Professional Grade 5 51953 - 73408 College of Creative Arts Term length: ongoing Hours of work: full-time Position Overview A...
Principal Ic Design Engineer, Think Silicon, Greece, 2 days ago
In April 2020, Applied Materials acquired Think Silicon®, a semiconductor technology portfolio company based in Greece. Think Silicon develops and licenses high-performance, ultra-low power Graphi...
3 D Printing Prototipation For Cranioplastic Implants In Small Animals, Università degli Studi di Torino, Italy, 14 days ago
An official website of the European UnionAn official EU websiteHow do you know? All official European Union website addresses are in the europa.eu domain. See all EU institutions and bodies Cookie...
Research Engineer, Scanning Probe Microscopy Research, NATIONAL UNIVERSITY OF SINGAPORE, Europe, 20 days ago
Job Description Research Engineer who will conduct research and experiments in the above project, be able to design new modules and operate Scanning Probe Microscopy in the materials lab, will wor...