This competition is open to all applicants however internal candidates and applicants who were former employees of the University of Alberta in the past 18 months will be given priority consideration before external candidates. Please indicate your internal status using the "Advertisement" drop-down menu when applying.
The position has an end date of 12 months and will be located at the University of Alberta Campus.
This work focuses on development of a clinical device known as the Advanced System for Implant Stability Testing (ASIST) for non-invasive evaluation of the bone-implant interface in lower limb osseointegrated implants. The ASIST isolates the interface properties by measuring the acceleration upon impact with the implant system, in combination with an analytical model that is based on vibration theory. We aim to apply this technique in the clinic to track the stability of the bone-implant interface over the time, thereby providing a method to detect early loosening of the implant.
We are seeking a Research Engineer to develop the next generation ASIST unit, with a particular focus on lower limb implants. The successful candidate will work in an inter-disciplinary team including electrical and mechanical engineers, graduate students, and clinicians. The position will require leadership in the development aspects and a dynamic and cooperative team approach, so strong communication and team working skills are an asset. Ability to work under tight timelines with concrete deliverables is required. This work is funded by a Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program grant.
- Developing and finalizing design criteria
- Integrating multiple components into a prototype
- Benchtop testing prototypes
- Iterating design features in response to feedback from the team
- M.Sc. in Mechatronics Engineering (mechanical, electrical, or biomedical engineering with mechatronics focus or relevant experience will be considered)
- Experience in at least 2 of the following areas especially when applied to medical devices:
- Mechanical design – solid modeling (e.g. Solidworks or similar) and prototyping of parts using 3D printing and traditional manufacturing
- Electrical design – prototyping of circuits for sensor acquisition, signal processing, and control of electromagnetic based actuators
- Software design – proficiency in multiple programming languages (e.g. Matlab/python/C#/C++ or similar) and the ability to pick up new languages quickly for software development on computers and microcontrollers
- Experience gathering requirements, developing test methods to validate prototypes, and preparing related documentation.
- Familiarity in the following areas is an asset:
- Vibrations and dynamics
- PCB design (EagleCAD, Altium, or similar) and fabrication
- Wireless communication design
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Mechatronics Engineer (Be Cem Mro 2021 131 Ld), CERN - European Organization for Nuclear Research, Switzerland, 3 days ago
Company Description At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most comp...
Engineer (All Genders), Helmholtz Centre for Heavy Ion Research GmbH (GSI), Germany, 9 days ago
Starting date: 19.11.2021 Job description: GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung in Darmstadt operates one of the leading particle accelerators for science. In the next few years, the new ...
Education And Research Support Officer Electronics And Robotics (0.6 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 9 days ago
Broadening the Liberal Arts and Sciences The leading idea behind the liberal arts and sciences is that students’ undergraduate education covers both broad and deep learning in a wealth of academic...
Senior Electrical Engineer , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 21 hours ago
In der aktuellen Covid-19 Situation laufen die Rekrutierungen weiter. Es kann dabei allerdings zu Verzögerungen kommen. Vielen Dank für Ihr Verständnis. 80%-100%, Zurich, permanent ANYbotics is a ...
Lecturer In Control Engineering, Coventry University, United Kingdom, about 24 hours ago
Working in the School of Mechanical, Aerospace & Automotive Engineering, you will be committed to contributing to our continued success. You will join a School with high levels of teaching quality...
Master`s Thesis: 3 D Printing Of Soft Materials For Bioelectronic Applications, Jülich Research Centre (FZJ), Germany, 9 days ago
Work group: IBI-3 - Bioelektronik Area of research: Other Job description: Within the Forschungszentrum Jülich, the Institute of Biological Information Processing (IBI-3) addresses the field of Bi...