This competition is open to all applicants however internal candidates and applicants who were former employees of the University of Alberta in the past 18 months will be given priority consideration before external candidates.
This is a 1-year position and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits .
The “SWAMP Lab” of the Department of Renewable Resources is an ultra-clean laboratory and mass spectrometry facility focused on environmental analytical chemistry. This lab studies the sources, transformations, behaviour and fate of trace elements in soils, waters, air, manures and plants (SWAMP). The SWAMP Lab is seeking a Research Coordinator to oversee day-to-day operations under the direction of the Principal Investigator and other senior laboratory staff.
Project Coordination - 50%
- Assisting with coordination with project partners to determine sample collection needs and synergies
- Assisting with discussions with Suncor to optimize resource allocations and set sampling campaign dates
- Assisting and instructing other ML sampling teams in SWAMP Lab sampling protocols and equipment
- Assisting with the initiation, organization and attendance at Project Meetings with sponsor and other stakeholders
- Reviewing/updating annual Scope of Work and associated documents for work on site (sample dates and SOPs, safety considerations, Safe Work Plans for ice and drone work, EH&S plan including risk analysis and control measures)
- Ensuring sponsor-specific internal and external permits and plans are accurate, current, and adequate to complete the work (e.g. SOPs, driver’s licenses, drone permits/insurance, flight operation plans, insurance, fire extinguishers, proper flags and lights on vehicles, PPE, Safe Work Permits, daily FLHAs)
- Reviewing of all sponsor procedures relevant to work on-site and ensure knowledge of and compliance by the field team
- Coordinating with sponsor on-site Area Supervisor, Field Services Supervisor, Bear Scare, and other sampling teams
- Providing fieldwork summary reports with FLHAs within 7 days of returning to campus
- Oversight of lab and field activities listed below related to the ML Project
Lab -25 %
- Ensuring samples are sorted by treatment/analysis type, stored correctly, and delivered to the lab for preparation/analysis
- Tracking of sample receipt, storage, analysis, and date analysis
- Ensuring samples are prepared and analyzed according to SOPs in a timely fashion; working with the PI and Supervisor to determine correct prioritization
- Assisting with the development and optimization of new sample preparation and analytical methods as needed Monitoring operation of lab infrastructure (i.e. clean air cabinets, water system, acid distillation system, ultraclave, cold room, freezer)
- Oversight and participation in the cleaning of the lab and labware
- Maintaining laboratory records and logs
- Ordering chemicals and supplies
- Ensuring Environmental Health and Safety directives are met
- Oversight of waste management
- Supervision of the SWAMP Lab and Field Prep. Assistant
Fieldwork -25 %
- Determining quantity and quality of sampling equipment and supplies required for sample collection
- Ensuring proper labelling
- Ordering supplies for field campaigns
- Packing sampling equipment and supplies for sample collection
- Shipping and receiving of samples as required
- Assists with the identification and organization of the field team for each trip
- Ensuring that all fieldworkers have a required safety training certificates and coordination of training as required
- Reserving equipment and facilities as required (vehicle rentals, accommodation bookings)
- Coordination of field teams operating at the same time in different locations
- Drafting, circulation and submission of Field Activity Plans for field work
- Keeping up-to-date on changes in UofA and Sponsor policies related to field and lab activities
- Working with the SWAMP Lab team to develop and deploy new sampling technologies for all projects
- Ensuring that samples are collected from correct locations, using the proper equipment and SOPs, adapting plans as needed to account for weather, site/sample conditions, opportunities for collection of additional samples, and field team dynamics
- Ensuring the recording of relevant field data and compiling and archiving field notes
- Assisting with the maintenance of field equipment, including cleaning and proper storage
- Participation in 5 or more fieldwork campaigns per year, each lasting from 4-14 days
- A BSc in Science or related field or a combination of education and experience
- Strong English language communication using MS Office Suite
- General knowledge of analytical equipment
- Experience working in an ultra-clean laboratory setting
- Understanding of analytical chemistry coupled with hands-on lab experience
- Respect for laboratory safety and ability to work following safety rules
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Driver’s licence -Ability to Drive UofA vehicles
- Necessary First Aid and survival skills
- Beneficial-practical experience with boats and ATVs
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Education Trainee Fieldwork In Biology (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 9 days ago
We are looking for an Education Trainee who can strengthen our BSc degree programme in Biology and MSc programme in Ecology and Evolution, to support the organization of fieldwork and field excurs...
Laboratory Assistant, Leiden University, Netherlands, 2 days ago
The successful candidate will be responsible for providing technical and organisational support to the laboratories run by the Bioarchaeology Research Group. While these include the laboratories f...
E 2148 Technician In Ecological Monitoring And Assessment, Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST), Luxembourg, 8 days ago
Are you passionate about research? So are we! Come and join us The Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is a Research and Technology Organization (RTO) active in the fields of mat...
1 University Graduate, Universidad de Murcia, Spain, 20 days ago
The following will confer an advantage: - Holding a degree in Environmental Sciences, (max. 20 points). - Training and experience regarding the use of digital documents, analysis and spatial repre...
Education Trainee Fieldwork In Biology (1.0 Fte), University of Groningen, Netherlands, 10 days ago
Organisation The University of Groningen is a research university with a global outlook, deeply rooted in Groningen, City of Talent. Quality has had top priority for over four hundred years, and w...
Research Manager In The Field Of Metallurgical Chemistry, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium, 14 days ago
The candidate is expected to: Have a PhD in (metallurgical) chemistry; Have more than 5 years of R&D experience in the field of hydrometallurgical treatment of urban waste, primary ores, extractiv...