We are seeking a PhD-level scientist to assist with analyzing SARS-CoV-2 sequence data from across Canada to track SARS-CoV-2 variants and assess the impact on critical immune determinants.
The position will be part of the computational biology and in silico modelling pillar of CoVaRR-Net, a pan-Canadian rapid response network to monitor and characterize SARS-CoV-2 variants: https://covarrnet.ca/
The successful applicant will be based at McGill University in Montreal, with the possibility for remote work initially. The current funding allows for a contract of 1 year of full-time work, with the possibility for renewal.
The research associate will report to Dr. Jesse Shapiro at the McGill Genome Centre (www.shapirolab.ca), and be supported by pillar co-leads Dr. Fiona Brinkman at Simon Fraser University (https://www.brinkman.mbb.
sfu.ca/fbrinkman/ ), Dr. Morgan Langille at Dalhousie University (https://morganlangille.com/ ), Dr. Jorg Fritz at McGill (https://www.mcgill.ca/mrcct/members/primary-members/jorg ), Dr. Sally Otto at UBC (https://www.
zoology.ubc.ca/~otto/ ) and Dr. Caroline Colijn at SFU (http://www.sfu.ca/math/people/faculty/ccolijn/ ).
For more information on the Pillar activities:
The CoVaRR-Net relies on synergies and efficient communications across all pillars, with other members of the scientific community and with government bodies, for rapid response to the emergence of new Variants of Concerns (VOCs) for SARS-CoV-2. The successful candidate will focus on developing methods to track the impact of mutations on critical immune determinants and will ensure that data is synthesized and integrated within the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC).
The successful candidate will:
- Utilize computational tools to predict T and B cell epitopes
- Apply in silico protein structure modelling tools to locate linear and conformational epitopes
- Synthesize and integrate epitope information data from across Canada and internationally
- Apply mathematical models of virus evolution to evaluate epidemiological or within-host scenarios that might lead to the appearance of vaccine escape mutations
- Develop computational tools to superimpose SARS-CoV2 mutations observed in clinical samples on predicted and clinically verified epitopes
- Produce plots and reports to communicate results within CoVaRR-Net, with PHAC and with provincial public health agencies
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Ph.D. in bioinformatics, immunology, microbiology, genomics, computational/mathematical biology, or related field.
- Programming experience (R, python, etc.), high performance computing (inc. Linux), big data management
- Must be able to exercise good judgment, exercise considerable independence, take initiative and possess strong interpersonal skills
- Must possess exceptional communication skills (verbal, written and presentation) and be comfortable engaging and exchanging information with members of the network
- Background in immunology, HLA and lymphocyte biology
- Proficiency in French an asset
Faculty/Department/Unit: Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences – Department of Microbiology & Immunology
Position: Research Associate
Job Status: Full-time (35 hours/week)
Position Duration: 1 year (possibility of renewal contingent on performance and funding)
Location: McGill’s Montreal Campus (possibility of remote working)
The following supporting documents are required:
- Cover letter & curriculum vitae (as 1 pdf document).
Use a personal email address when creating an account in Workday to submit your application. Do not use @mail.mcgill.ca or @mcgill.ca email accounts to apply.
Hours per Week:
35 (Full time)
Position Start Date:
Position End Date:
Deadline to Apply:
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, firstname.lastname@example.org .
Postdoctoral Researcher (F/M/D), Leibniz, Germany, 2 days ago
The Leibniz Institute for Natural Product Research and Infection Biology – Hans Knöll Institute (Leibniz-HKI, www.leibniz-hki.de ) investigates the pathobiology of human-pathogenic fungi and ident...
Postdoc (M/F/D), Leibniz, Germany, about 23 hours ago
The Leibniz Institute on Aging - Fritz Lipmann Institute (FLI) in Jena is a federal and state government-funded research institute and member of the Leibniz Association. FLI’ s internationally vis...
Adiunct (Post Doc) (# Of Pos: 2), University of Wroclaw, Poland, 10 days ago
University of Wroclaw invites applications for the research position of adiunct (post – doc) the Department of Cytobiochemistry, Faculty of Biotechnology, at the University of Wroclaw No 4.2022.W...
Postdoctoral Researchers Juan De La Cierva Formación (Ref.: Pdr Me 03), Josep Carreras Leukaemia Research Institute (IJC), Spain, 7 days ago
The Josep Carreras Leukemia Research Institute (IJC) is a non-profit research institute based in Barcelona and dedicated to advancing our understanding about leukemia and related disorders, in par...
Fachbereich Biologie, Chemie, Pharmazie Institut Für Chemie Und Biochemie Dfg Graduiertenkolleg 2662 Research Assistant (Praedoc) (M/F/D) Within The Framework Of The International Research Training Group Grk2662 With 65%Part Time Job Limited To 3 Years Entgeltgruppe 13 Tv L Fu Reference Code: Grk2662 Praedoc C1 Bewerbungsende: 14.02.2022, Free University of Berlin, Germany, about 5 hours ago
The DFG-funded International Research Training Group GRK2662 "Charging into the future: understanding the interaction of polyelectrolytes with biosystems", aims for a better understanding of the m...
1/Wc/2022 Announcement Of The Competition For A Scientific Position Adjunct (Post Doc) At The..., Institute of Human Genetics of the Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland, 10 days ago
The Director of the Institute of Human Genetics, Polish Academy of Sciences in Poznan (IHG PAS) announces an open competition for the position of an adjunct at the Department of Nucleic Acid Func...