Career Development Assignment (CDA):
Carleton University also welcomes applications from continuing employees. If a Continuing employee is the successful candidate, this assignment will be considered a Career Development Assignment, and the successful candidate must obtain a leave of absence from their current and substantive position, where applicable. Permission for such leave must not be unreasonably withheld.
If you are an internal applicant, please make sure to update your current union status in your candidate profile each time you apply for a vacancy. Internal candidates will be given priority consideration at this time. Please note: Carleton University encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Manager, Contracts and Agreements, the Research Administrator provides administrative support for sponsored research at the University. The incumbent must be able to express him/herself well in written and verbal exchange, work independently, and possess excellent organizational skills.
The incumbent is responsible for:
• facilitating research grants and contracts, which includes liaising with faculty members to review project budgets, deliverables, payment schedules of potential research contracts and grants;
• ensuring project budgets, research activities and payment schedules conform to policies and procedures of the University and external Sponsors interests, as they pertain to research funding and collaboration with Carleton University;
• addressing researcher inquiries specific to contract and agreement terms and conditions, as well as Indirect Costs, and applicable taxes;
• responding to requests from government or industry parties on specific University requirements relating to research grants or contracts;
• staying apprised of and communicating to researchers, changes to those policies and procedures of the University and funding agencies that pertain to research funding and collaboration with Carleton University;
• scheduling his/her work to meet project proposal and contracting deadlines, in consultation with faculty members and other involved University staff, including securing necessary authorizations on agreements from the Director, Industry and Partnership Services, Associate Vice-President (Strategic Initiatives and Operations), Vice-President (Research and International) or other authorized University signing authorities;
• identifying and disseminating research funding and collaboration opportunities to University Researchers through online databases, coordinating research funding information sessions, arranging internal research program adjudication meetings, as assigned;
• creating and maintaining office records, including performing data entry into electronic databases;
• reporting on research funding activity and ensuring the accuracy of the collection and compilation of data for all statistical reports;
• identifying potential risks to the University and mitigating those risks, in collaboration with IPS and the Research Office management;
• collecting and analyzing relevant data to benchmark Carleton’s research performance against nationally and internationally accepted metrics and assist in identifying strategies for improvement of performance and reputation;
• facilitating post award administration, including: reports to sponsors, files and correspondence related to the ongoing projects, inter-institutional transfers, etc.;
• generating statistics on grant competitions, comparisons, and research revenues from the electronic database
• preparing and distributing pertinent correspondence;
• performing other duties as required.
The incumbent must possess the following qualifications:
• Interact appropriately and credibly with researchers, professors and professionals external to the University, dealing with complex matters relating to funding regulations and legislation;
• Good oral and written communication skills, reading and basic analytical skills to clearly ascertain the concepts and areas involved in funding research, the preparation of correspondence, newsletters, organizing seminars and workshops, and maintaining websites;
• Knowledge of University operating procedures;
• good administrative skills;
• sound judgment, tact and ability to deal effectively with people as well as continuing awareness and sensitivity to other cultures;
• Proficient with computer programs and databases and office software applications: MS
Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, Outlook; and University programs;
• Experience working with senior executives;
• Ability to work independently, taking initiative, and handle new responsibilities;
• Strong interpersonal skills and excellent communication skills both verbal and written;
• High degree of loyalty, discretion, maturity, resourcefulness and tact to deal with a wide
spectrum of occupations;
Education and Experience:
The above is normally acquired through the completion of:
• Completion of a University Bachelor’s Degree.
• Five (5) years of experience in a university setting including research funding development, contract
review, project planning and coordination, and database management/maintenance.
Carleton University and CUPE 2424 are currently completing a joint job evaluation and pay equity project. The University and the Union are working together to describe the skills, effort, responsibilities and working conditions associated with every CUPE 2424 job, including this one. As a result, the job description that is currently associated with this posting (for recruitment purposes) may be revised to reflect the actual duties captured in the new job descriptions.
By applying for this job you are acknowledging that the actual duties associated with this job may differ somewhat from those identified in the job posting and that you will agree to perform the duties of this job as determined through the joint job evaluation process.
Equivalencies will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to provide information which may demonstrate equivalent qualifications. Please note that applicants may be required to complete an employment test as part of the selection process for this position. Those applicants that are selected for an interview will be requested to contact the Human Resource Advisor assigned to this competition as soon as possible to discuss any accommodation requirements. Arrangements will be made to accommodate your request in a timely manner. Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions.
View complete position description
Please confirm that you have updated your candidate profile, if you are a returning applicant. Please note your profile includes important screening information.
Program Director Gastroenterology, Liver Research, Nephrology (Job Id: 42198), University of Louisville, United States, 6 days ago
Job ID: 42198 Location: Medicine Dept Minimum Qualifications Master's degree in a related field and five years of related experience. Additional experience may be used on a one-to-one basis to of...
Head Of Division Psychology And Forensic Sciences, Abertay University, United Kingdom, about 10 hours ago
Abertay is a modern university with a global outlook, rooted in its local and national communities. We have made our mark with high quality, well-directed teaching and research, and a stimulating ...
Ethics And Legal Researchers In The Area Of Biomedical Data Sciences (Research..., University of Luxembourg, Luxembourg, 1 day ago
Ethics and legal researchers in the area of biomedical data sciences (Research & Development specialist on project) (Valid from 02/09/2021 to 04/11/2021) Language: English (UK) Country: Luxembourg...
W3 Professor Of Organic Chemistry (Reference W1976), Saarland University, Germany, 4 days ago
Saarland University is a research-intensive medium-sized campus-based university. It is characterized by three main areas of research: computer science, NanoBioMed and Europe. Numerous research in...
Coordinator And Project Lead Library Systems, Maastricht University, Netherlands, about 9 hours ago
Coordinator and project-lead library systems Coordinator and project-lead library systems Published Deadline Location 22 Oct 7 Nov Maastricht Please note: this is an internal vacancy. You can only...
Projects And Logistics Officer, McGill University, Canada, 17 days ago
This is a full-time position situated in the School of Architecture, Faculty of Engineering as part of the Canada Foundation for Innovation funded BARN Project (Building Architecture Research Node...