This competition is open to all applicants, however internal candidates and applicants who were former employees of the University of Alberta in the past 18 months will be given priority consideration before external candidates.
Please indicate your internal status using the "Advertisement" drop down menu when applying.
This appointment is for four years from the date of hire and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits .
This is a new research position, which will be located in the Reproductive Sciences Division, (option to work remotely) Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology on the University of Alberta campus in the Heritage Medical Research Centre.
The Olson Laboratory is engaged in comprehensive studies for the development of diagnostics and therapeutics to predict and then treat preterm birth, the most significant health problem of the perinatal period. It is also interested in the commercialization of the products it produces for the benefit of women’s pregnancy health. The laboratory has several undergraduate and graduate students and postdoctoral fellows plus technologists who are producing considerable publishable data, writing abstracts, primary and review research papers, drawing figures and making presentations at an international level. An individual with impeccable translation skills is required to work with the laboratory personnel in assisting and supporting their translation efforts. The Project Translation Coordinator (PTC) will also assist with grant preparation and organization.
In addition, the PTC will manage the Principal Investigator’s (PI) curriculum vitae (CV), Canadian Common CV (CCV), maintain the laboratory’s website, maintain the laboratory’s finances. and maintain its ethics applications and protocols.
Under the direction of the PI, this position is responsible for coordinating the translation of high-level, complex research projects specific to the physiology of preterm birth, fetal inflammation and women’s pregnancy health. The position is also responsible for assisting with the preparation of grant and studentship/fellowship applications. The Project Translation Coordinator will also have as secondary but equally important responsibilities, the financial management of all of the PI’s projects plus maintenance of and application for ethics approvals.
The PTC will work closely with the PI, his collaborators, and his trainees at all levels from undergraduates and graduates to fellows. The PTC will assist them to complete to a publishable level and in an expedited and timely fashion their manuscripts for primary papers and reviews. This will include figure and table organization in addition to excellent written work. In addition, the PTC will assist laboratory members in the preparation and submission of their meeting abstracts, poster and PowerPoint presentations. The PTC will track the disposition of all translation products (e.g. submitted, under revision, published, etc.) and expedite each step of the process to assure a timely and successful outcome.
The PTC will also work with the Principal Investigator and the laboratory personnel on writing and completing and submitting grant applications at all levels from studentships to CIHR project grants and team grants. The Project Translation Coordinator will be responsible for writing and submitting and maintaining all ethics applications, both human and animal.
Technical Activities; Abstract, Manuscript and Grant Preparation
- Works closely with the Principal Investigator, collaborators and lab trainees to move all translation products along in an efficient, methodical process for submission or presentation
- Adheres strictly to the submission requirements for abstracts and manuscripts
- Adheres strictly to the submission requirements for all funding applications
- Assists or guides data preparation (e.g. Tables, Figures) and analyses for abstracts and manuscripts
- Maintains an inventory of laboratory figures/tables and powerpoint presentations
- Tracks the progress of all translation projects from preparation, submission through review and on to publication, presentation or funding
- Guides and supports PI and laboratory personnel and collaborators with preparing research publications based on research results to be submitted for peer-review, including draft and final reports, manuscripts, conference presentations and posters, educational materials, commercial materials for lab-based companies, and other forms of knowledge transfer and exchange
- Assists with preparation of research grant and studentship/scholarship applications and contract proposals as required
- Establishes and maintains good communications with Principal Investigator, Co-investigators and Collaborators, Trainees at all levels and other stakeholders as required
- Fosters the necessary stakeholder, collaborator, trainee involvement to ensure timely activities, cooperation and progress of projects as required
- Ensures compliance with funding agency processes and reporting requirements
Operations Administration and Management
- Tracks milestones and timelines throughout the life cycle of manuscript preparation, submission, review, etc. through to publication
- Tracks milestones and timelines throughout the life cycle of grant application preparation, submission, review, etc. through to funding
- Tracks laboratory expenditures according to schemes proposed in applications and team meetings to coincide with project development
- Supports the administrative assistant in maintaining the
- Maintains accurate and timely financial records and does not allow the laboratory to overspend
- Assists with Human Resource tasks such as submitting Job Fact Sheets, assuring timely payment of laboratory staff, trainees, and contractors
- Maintains the laboratory’s website
Other Research Activities
- Other related duties as may be required
- Post-graduate education at the Master’s level; PhD preferred; coursework in subjects related to English, writing, communications, journalism and similar
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Competency in financial management
- Training in effective writing, communications, journalism is preferred
- 2 years’ experience in health science laboratory work preferred
To be considered for the role, applicants must submit a cover letter indicating why you are an appropriate fit for this position; must submit an example of your writing, and must submit a powerpoint presentation that has been prepared by the applicant.
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Research Specialist In Molecular And Cellular Biology, International Centre for Translational Eye Research / Institute of Physical Chemistry, Polish Academy of Sciences, Poland, about 22 hours ago
The International Center for Translational Eye Research (ICTER) is a multi-investigator center for eye research related to imaging and biochemical techniques to support advances in understanding t...
Assistant Professor, Escola Superior de Educação do Instituto Politécnico do Porto, Portugal, 25 days ago
Documentary Public Tender for the Recruitment of an Assistant Professor for the Technical Scientific Unit of Visual Arts - disciplinary area of Drawing. 1 - It is made public that, by Dispatch ESE...
Research Technician For Athlete Project, ISGLOBAL, Spain, 16 days ago
The Barcelona Institute for Global Health, ISGlobal, is the fruit of an innovative alliance between academic, government, and philanthropic institutions to contribute to the efforts undertaken by ...
Research Grants (Bic) (# Of Pos: 3), INESC MN, Portugal, 4 days ago
CALL FOR GRANT APPLICATIONS (MAG-ID_BI) INESC MN is now accepting grant applications to award 3 Research Grants (BIC) within the scope of the MAG-ID project: “Novel identification solution for tra...
Research Projects Manager, School Of Nursing [R0125517], University of Nevada Las Vegas, United States, about 2 hours ago
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas invites applications for Research Projects Manager, School of Nursing [R0125517] PROFILE of the UNIVERSITY Founded in 1957, UNLV is a doctoral-degree-granting i...
International Competition For The Recruitment Of A Doctorate, FARM-ID - Associação da Faculdade de Farmácia para a Investigação e Desenvolvimento, Portugal, 23 days ago
/2021/PTDC/SAU-TOX/32515/2017 The Executive Board of the FARM-ID- Associação da Faculdade de Farmácia para a Investigação e Desenvolvimento took a decision to open an international selection compe...