This competition is open to all applicants however internal candidates and applicants who were former employees of the University of Alberta in the past 18 months will be given priority consideration before external candidates.
This position has an end date of one year from date of hire and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits .
This position is part of Dr. Sangita Sharma’s research team and will work independently with minimal supervision on a variety of studies. Reporting to the Executive Director for the Indigenous and Global Health Research Group (IGHRG), the Project Lead will take a leadership role in the execution of research projects conducted by the IGHRG. His/her responsibilities will focus on meeting program deliverables to ensure success. The position will provide support to the Executive Director and senior scientist within the group working as part of the research team for the life of the projects and facilitate the data collection, entry, analyses, reporting, and close-out of projects.
- Collaborates with the research team to organize, lead and implement intervention programs in study communities and populations across multiple research projects
- Travels to participating communities and populations to cultivate working relationships with participants and community members; actively engages in building and maintaining communities in a culturally appropriate manner
- Seeks opportunities for collaboration with community members in conducting research; liaising between the team and the community
- Primary contact with community group stakeholders, community organizations; engages with key stakeholders in a clear and professional manner
- Develops various intervention education materials and presents to participants
- Conducts project monitoring and feedback for the Executive Director
- Trains and supervises data collection staff, ensuring that quality control procedures are adhered to and the highest quality data is collected
- Communicates with participants on site, including using judgement for problem solving of minor concerns or escalating larger issues to the Executive Director
- Prepares a detailed plan for and participates in data collection by tracking and monitoring of questionnaires and evaluations with participants, following up with either participants or community members as required
- Coordinates activities of the program staff (e.g., data collection, community engagement activities, intervention activities, website development and maintenance)
- In collaboration with the research team, organizes and assists in the data organization, compilation and preparation for analysis; is aware of the data cleaning, entry and reporting on assigned projects
- Guides and coaches trainees working on the research team as required
- Maintains and protects confidential research data, adhering to ethical conduct and privacy requirements at all times
- Maintains well documented working papers and notes on assigned tasks
- Ensures research study documents and procedures are up to date, understands and adheres to the study protocols and procedures
- Participates and reports at research team meetings
- Prepares a weekly written summary of progress and plans for each project task for Executive Director and PI
- Conducts literature searches on databases to provide research team members with background information on research projects and advancements in the project relevant fields
- Assists in the preparation of research related materials and knowledge translation products: publications, presentations, technical and dissemination reports, research posters, abstracts and research reports, and briefings as required
- Assists in preparation, editing and formatting of applications for ethics review
- Assists in the creation of PowerPoint presentations and posters for workshops and conferences – designing and formatting of presentation including layout, inserting data into presentation, looking for relevant research on the internet, finding images to illustrate the presentation, and coordinating large size printing of scientific posters
- Contributes to data analyses, interpretations of the results, preparing and writing sections of manuscripts to be submitted for publication in peer reviewed journals, papers, briefing notes, etc
- Contributes to preparing and writings sections of funding applications for peer reviewing funding submissions
- Assists with scientific manuscript preparation and ensures timely submission
- Acts as a resource providing nutrition and physical activity expertise for healthy lifestyles in exploring opportunities for promoting healthy behaviours with communities
- Participates in the preparation of research ethics applications
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Minimum Master’s degree in a health or related discipline (e.g., public health, nutrition, physical education, psychology)
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience working with multi-stakeholder groups within medicine, or public health
- Self-directed with the ability to work with minimal supervision while achieving specific goals within specific timelines
- Team player with strong and professional verbal and written communication skills
- Flexibility in available hours to accommodate varying schedules, including travel for research activities, meetings and long-stay work in communities as required (up to 12 weeks at one time)
- Possesses strong analytical skills and is process and results-orientated
- Competency using a variety of computer software and willingness to learn new applications
- Ability to understand multiple perspectives and respond to diverse needs
- Strong project coordination, reporting and organizational skills with high attention to detail
- Experience working in Indigenous populations and knowledge of cultural protocol
- Experience working in a health research environment
- Experience working/living in northern communities an asset
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Manager, Digital, HHMI, United States, about 13 hours ago
Primary Work Address: 4000 Jones Bridge Road, Chevy Chase, MD, 20815 Current HHMI Employees, click here to apply via your Workday account. HHMI is focused on supporting and moving science forward ...
Research Project Manager Precision Vaccines, Boston Children's Hospital, United States, 4 days ago
The Precision Vaccines Program at Boston Children's Hospital seeks a Project Manager (PM). The Program is a platform to enhance collaboration between academia, government and industry to develop n...
Clinical Research Specialist I Translational Neuroscience Center, Boston Children's Hospital, United States, about 5 hours ago
Boston Children's Hospital's Department of Neurology is seeking a professional, well-organized team player to fill the position of a Clinical Research Specialist 1 in the Department of Neurology's...
Deputy Director For Science Kenya, Henry M. Jackson Foundation, United States, about 22 hours ago
HJF is seeking a Deputy Director for Science for an anticipated U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) cooperative agreement for Advancing Public Health Research in Kenya. The purpo...
Experienced And Multidisciplinary R&D Engineer With Management And Leadership Skills, Fundació Sant Joan de Déu, Spain, 11 days ago
Position: Senior R&D Engineer Experienced and multidisciplinary R&D engineer with management and leadership skills BCNatal | Fetal Medicine Research Center will conduct a new ambitious research pr...
Grants Office Manager, Fondazione Human Technopole, Italy, 11 days ago
*APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: 31 Jan. 2021* HT is looking for a Grants Office Manager. The role, reporting to the Head of Strategy and Scientific Affairs, and in coordination with the Head of Finance...