If you are an internal applicant, please make sure to update your current union status in your candidate profile each time you apply for a vacancy. Internal candidates will be given priority consideration at this time. Please note: Carleton University encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
About Carleton University
Carleton is a smart, caring and connected community that inspires and empowers individuals to become change leaders who drive impact in the world. Carleton's faculty and staff strive to provide a superior learning experience for our learners who hail from every province and from over 100 countries around the world. Situated on a beautiful campus bordered by the Rideau River and Canal, Carleton is just minutes from the heart of our nation's government and enjoys easy access to the many organizations, associations and businesses which thrive in Ottawa.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Exam Room Officer, the MEC Technical Support Coordinator position works within the larger examinations ecosystem to support the daily operation of in-person and online examinations.
The incumbent assists with in-person examinations through both workflow and support tasks. This can include booking the space, ensuring the proper equipment and technology is supplied, scheduling a proctor, and reproducing the paper. Moreover, besides the administrative aspects, the MEC Technical Support Coordinator role is a resource for course instructors, proctors, and students in regards to troubleshooting on exam day. This may involve assisting them with the learning management platform to questions surrounding examination policy or process.
The incumbent will play a key role in online assessments. This can include building exams in the learning management system (LMS), working on the e-Proctoring teams (either with live proctors or the automated solution), and offering live support to students during their exams through multiple communication channels.
The MEC Technical Support Coordinator position perform other duties as assigned.
• The work requires excellent knowledge of modern office/business practice and technology, general knowledge of university organization and procedures, and a thorough knowledge of examination regulations and procedures.
• The core service aspect of MEC requires knowledge of a variety of accommodation circumstances, and the personal suitability to provide an environment that meets the needs for students, while also protecting academic integrity of the examination condition.
• It requires the ability to work with minimum supervision.
• Tact and discretion in dealing with people who find themselves in highly charged situations is required.
• Ensure site compliance with Carleton’s Occupational Health & Safety Policy, and appropriate treatment of clients in respect to their accommodation needs as documented by the Paul Menton Centre, or Equity Services.
• Familiar with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
• Knowledge of Human Rights Legislation.
• Knowledge of Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
• Knowledge of issues relating to students at risk.
• Discretion is required as the incumbent is working with confidential information about students’ disabilities.
• Familiarity with Banner and academic department functions would be assets.
• Strong working knowledge of the learning management system.
• Experience working with spreadsheets and manipulating/interpreting data from various sources.
• The ability to assist with the technical needs of students who access a variety of adaptive software systems, including JAWS, Kurzweil, Read&Write, Dragon Naturally Speaking, and others.
• Database management experience.
• Organization skills.
• Problem-solving skills and creativity.
• Ability to work successfully in a team environment.
• Accountability and judgment.
• Experience with coaching of part-time proctors for e-Proctoring.
• Flexible and adaptable as we help support two unique workflows (i.e., face-to-face exams and digital).
• Mental Health First Aid.
• Safety Assist Training.
Education and Experience:
The above is normally acquired through the completion of:
• Completion of a three year undergraduate degree or college program in the field of business, or technology.
• Five years of progressively responsible administrative experience at a university or college including, experience in working in a local area network, proven ability to effectively and efficiently use software packages such as Word, Excel and Outlook to coordinate workload.
• Working knowledge of Banner and learning management system platforms.
• Solid understanding of database management. The technology used in examinations (Clockwork, Ventus, adaptive technology such as Dragon, Kurzweil, JAWS, and Read & Write).
• Experience working with students with disabilities.
• Supports online exams, therefore, expertise in troubleshooting hardware and software issues.
Carleton University and CUPE 2424 are currently completing a joint job evaluation and pay equity project. The University and the Union are working together to describe the skills, effort, responsibilities and working conditions associated with every CUPE 2424 job, including this one. As a result, the job description that is currently associated with this posting (for recruitment purposes) may be revised to reflect the actual duties captured in the new job descriptions.
By applying for this job you are acknowledging that the actual duties associated with this job may differ somewhat from those identified in the job posting and that you will agree to perform the duties of this job as determined through the joint job evaluation process.
Equivalencies will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to provide information which may demonstrate equivalent qualifications. Please note that applicants may be required to complete an employment test as part of the selection process for this position. Those applicants that are selected for an interview will be requested to contact the Human Resource Advisor assigned to this competition as soon as possible to discuss any accommodation requirements. Arrangements will be made to accommodate your request in a timely manner. Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions.
Important Note Regarding Pandemic Related Operations:
This position is required to work on campus. Exceptionally, since March 2020, many staff and faculty at Carleton University have been working from home in order to comply with public health requirements while continuing to provide services to support the operational functioning of the university. We are currently in the process of identifying positions that need to work on campus as part of our return to campus process. This position may be required to work temporarily remotely due to public health requirements or it may have been identified as one of the roles that are required to work on campus. If this position is required to work on campus, the successful candidate will be informed of the health and safety measures that are in place to ensure their safety on campus. If there is a requirement to work remotely (it is possible that there could be a requirement to work both remotely and on campus), the successful candidate will work with the manager to set up a remote work environment including discussing appropriate technology and requirements. Please note that once public health requirements permit, Carleton University will resume normal on campus operations and at that point there will be a timely notification provided by the manager and the requirement to working full time physically onsite will resume. Therefore, we are looking for candidates currently in or looking to relocate to the Ottawa area.
Additionally, Carleton University is continuing to maintain a safe work environment and requires mandatory vaccination against COVID-19 as per Public Health recommendations under the Reopening Ontario Act. As Carleton University requires that staff be available to attend on-campus meetings and to work, as required, in person, the successful candidate will be required to comply with this policy and be fully vaccinated before commencing employment. Subject to permitted exemptions under the Ontario Human Rights Code, if you are the successful candidate, your offer of employment will be conditional upon you attesting that you are fully vaccinated with a course of vaccines that have been approved by Health Canada and submitting appropriate proof of vaccination.
View complete position description
You must login first before attempting to apply for any postion.
Please confirm that you have updated your candidate profile, if you are a returning applicant. Please note your profile includes important screening information.
Learning Assessment Centre (Lac) Assistant Lead Proctor, University of Alberta, Canada, about 10 hours ago
This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA). This position has an end date of April 30,2023. Location - North campus Working for the University of Alberta The University o...
Evening And Weekend Operations Supervisor, McGill University, Canada, about 19 hours ago
Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply. If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or positio...
Casual Examination Supervisor, The University of Queensland, Australia, about 5 hours ago
Academic Services Division HEW level 1.1 Multiple casual positions Closing date 28 August 2022 at 11.00pm AEST (R-14456) About This Opportunity Examination Supervisors play a key role to ensure th...
Research Associate, Petroleum Engineering, KHALIFA UNIVERSITY, United Kingdom, 17 days ago
Job Purpose To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the Univer...
Postdoctoral Fellow In Environmental Fluid Mechanics, University of Canterbury, New Zealand, 9 days ago
Pūhanga Metarahi me te Rawa Taiao | Civil and Natural Resources Engineering Located in Ōtautahi | Christchurch, Aotearoa | New Zealand Full-time 37.5 hours per week (1.0 FTE) Fixed-term position s...
People Soft Developer Iii (People Soft Financials), Emory University, United States, 11 days ago
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contri...