Career Development Assignment (CDA):
The successful candidate must obtain a leave of absence from their current and substantive position, where applicable. Permission for such leave must not be unreasonably withheld.
If you are an internal applicant, please make sure to update your current union status in your candidate profile each time you apply for a vacancy. Internal candidates will be given priority consideration at this time. Please note: Carleton University encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
About Carleton University
Carleton University is one of Canada's most resourceful and productive hubs of learning and research, fuelling a rich talent pipeline that is supporting social and economic renewal. The university's smart, caring and connected community inspires and empowers individuals to become change leaders who drive impact in the world while challenging conventional modes of thinking and doing. Carleton is recognized annually as a top regional employer and is a recipient of the Canada Awards for Excellence, Healthy Workplace Order of Excellence, and Platinum Level Certification for Mental Health at Work. Situated on unceded Algonquin territory and bordered by the Rideau River and historic Rideau Canal in Ottawa, Carleton is just minutes from the heart of our nation's government and G-7 organizations, providing opportunities for staff and faculty to make a positive impact in our community and around the world.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Exam Room Officer, the MEC Technical Support Coordinator position works within the larger examinations ecosystem to support the daily operation of in-person and online examinations.
The incumbent assists with in-person examinations through both workflow and support tasks. This can include booking the space, ensuring the proper equipment and technology is supplied, scheduling a proctor, and reproducing the paper. Moreover, besides the administrative aspects, the MEC Technical Support Coordinator role is a resource for course instructors, proctors, and students in regards to troubleshooting on exam day. This may involve assisting them with the learning management platform to questions surrounding examination policy or process.
The incumbent will play a key role in online assessments. This can include building exams in the learning management system (LMS), working on the e-Proctoring teams (either with live proctors or the automated solution), and offering live support to students during their exams through multiple communication channels.
The MEC Technical Support Coordinator position perform other duties as assigned.
• The work requires excellent knowledge of modern office/business practice and technology, general knowledge of university organization and procedures, and a thorough knowledge of examination regulations and procedures.
• The core service aspect of MEC requires knowledge of a variety of accommodation circumstances, and the personal suitability to provide an environment that meets the needs for students, while also protecting academic integrity of the examination condition.
• It requires the ability to work with minimum supervision.
• Tact and discretion in dealing with people who find themselves in highly charged situations is required.
• Ensure site compliance with Carleton’s Occupational Health & Safety Policy, and appropriate treatment of clients in respect to their accommodation needs as documented by the Paul Menton Centre, or Equity Services.
• Familiar with Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
• Knowledge of Human Rights Legislation.
• Knowledge of Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.
• Knowledge of issues relating to students at risk.
• Discretion is required as the incumbent is working with confidential information about students’ disabilities.
• Familiarity with Banner and academic department functions would be assets.
• Strong working knowledge of the learning management system.
• Experience working with spreadsheets and manipulating/interpreting data from various sources.
• The ability to assist with the technical needs of students who access a variety of adaptive software systems, including JAWS, Kurzweil, Read&Write, Dragon Naturally Speaking, and others.
• Database management experience.
• Organization skills.
• Problem-solving skills and creativity.
• Ability to work successfully in a team environment.
• Accountability and judgment.
• Experience with coaching of part-time proctors for e-Proctoring.
• Flexible and adaptable as we help support two unique workflows (i.e., face-to-face exams and digital).
• Mental Health First Aid.
• Safety Assist Training.
Education and Experience:
The above is normally acquired through the completion of:
• Completion of a three year undergraduate degree or college program in the field of business, or technology.
• Five years of progressively responsible administrative experience at a university or college including, experience in working in a local area network, proven ability to effectively and efficiently use software packages such as Word, Excel and Outlook to coordinate workload.
• Working knowledge of Banner and learning management system platforms.
• Solid understanding of database management. The technology used in examinations (Clockwork, Ventus, adaptive technology such as Dragon, Kurzweil, JAWS, and Read & Write).
• Experience working with students with disabilities.
• Supports online exams, therefore, expertise in troubleshooting hardware and software issues.
Carleton University and CUPE 2424 are currently completing a joint job evaluation and pay equity project. The University and the Union are working together to describe the skills, effort, responsibilities and working conditions associated with every CUPE 2424 job, including this one. As a result, the job description that is currently associated with this posting (for recruitment purposes) may be revised to reflect the actual duties captured in the new job descriptions.
By applying for this job you are acknowledging that the actual duties associated with this job may differ somewhat from those identified in the job posting and that you will agree to perform the duties of this job as determined through the joint job evaluation process.
Equivalencies will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to provide information which may demonstrate equivalent qualifications. Please note that applicants may be required to complete an employment test as part of the selection process for this position. Those applicants that are selected for an interview will be requested to contact the Human Resource Advisor assigned to this competition as soon as possible to discuss any accommodation requirements. Arrangements will be made to accommodate your request in a timely manner. Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions.
Important Note Regarding Pandemic Related Operations:
This position is regularly required to work on campus. Due to the ongoing dynamic nature of Covid-19, you may be required to work temporarily remotely due to public health requirements. If this happens, you will work with your direct manager to set up a remote work environment including discussing appropriate technology and requirements. You are required to follow all directives to set up a safe and confidential workspace in a remote location and ensure all Carleton property (intellectual and other) is safeguarded. If required to work remotely, you will be notified by your manager when working full time physically onsite will resume.
View complete position description
You must login first before attempting to apply for any postion.
Please confirm that you have updated your candidate profile, if you are a returning applicant. Please note your profile includes important screening information.
Academic Services & Support Coordinator School Of Nursing Office Of Student Affairs, Emory University, United States, 3 days ago
Emory University is a leading research university that fosters excellence and attracts world-class talent to innovate today and prepare leaders for the future. We welcome candidates who can contri...
Space Electronics Development Engineer (Dipl. Ing., Fh/Eth) , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, about 22 hours ago
90%-100%, permanent PMOD/WRC is a research & calibration institution, located in Davos, Switzerland. As part of its solar- and climate research activities, the institute is strongly involved in va...
Operations Manager, University of Mississippi, United States, about 18 hours ago
Note for Current UM Employees Current employees must apply internally via connectU > connectu.olemiss.edu Definition of Class This position plans, manages, implements, and provides oversight over ...
Academic Inclusion Assistant , Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, about 4 hours ago
« Back to Jobs Academic Inclusion Assistant Location: Kelburn Type: Temporary Post Date: Tue Mar 14 23:03:36 2023 Ref: 5355 Have you got the ability to provide an effective service under sometimes...
Coordinator, Student Services, Office Of Strategic Enrollment Services, School Of Continuing Education, American University in Cairo, Egypt, about 18 hours ago
Reports to: Assistant Director, School of Continuing Education Enrollment Services Purpose: The job holder will provide assistance with special emphasis on customer service for certificate compl...
Head Of The Radiation Hardness Assurance And Component Analysis Section , European Space Agency, Netherlands, about 2 hours ago
Vacancy in the Directorate of Technology, Engineering and Quality. ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating an inclusive working env...