Carleton University also welcomes applications from continuing employees. If a Continuing employee is the successful candidate, this assignment will be considered a Term Assignment, and the successful candidate must obtain a leave of absence from their current and substantive position, where applicable. Permission for such leave must not be unreasonably withheld.
If you are an internal applicant, please make sure to update your current union status in your candidate profile each time you apply for a vacancy. Internal candidates will be given priority consideration at this time. Please note: Carleton University encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
Carleton is looking for a high performing individual to play key roles on its brand marketing team. The successful candidate will have a high level of skill and desire to execute new and unique integrated marketing ideas that produce positive, measurable results. The position is well-suited for a creative thinker, self-starter, excellent communicator, driven by a genuine passion for building brand awareness and supporting enrolment activities. This is an exciting chance to be a key player in a multi-year brand marketing project to enhance Carleton’s reputation across Canada.
About the Department of University Communications
University Communications reports directly to the President’s Office. It provides the university community with strategic direction, advice and support to enhance Carleton’s reputation for academic excellence, research and exceptional student experience. It also supports and co-ordinates a highly effective network of communications professionals in programs, faculties, schools and departments.
The total compensation package includes competitive extended health and dental benefits, pension, annual, sick and special leave, life insurance, and unique perks such as tuition benefits and access to the fitness facilities at Carleton.
About Carleton University
Carleton University is one of Canada's most resourceful and productive hubs of learning and research, fuelling a rich talent pipeline that is supporting social and economic renewal. The university's smart, caring and connected community inspires and empowers individuals to become change leaders who drive impact in the world while challenging conventional modes of thinking and doing. Carleton is recognized annually as a top regional employer and is a recipient of the Canada Awards for Excellence, Healthy Workplace Order of Excellence, and Platinum Level Certification for Mental Health at Work. Situated on unceded Algonquin territory and bordered by the Rideau River and historic Rideau Canal in Ottawa, Carleton is just minutes from the heart of our nation's government and G-7 organizations, providing opportunities for staff and faculty to make a positive impact in our community and around the world.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direction of the Manager, Marketing, the Marketing Officer, is responsible for providing marketing expertise to the university and its faculties, departments and services. The position is responsible for planning, developing, implementing, tracking and reporting on strategic brand and reputation enhancement activity. To help build and maintain a strong and consistent brand for Carleton, the incumbent will ensure all marketing material (digital and offline) is in line with the university’s brand identity and official standards.
The incumbent must possess the following qualifications:
• A creative mind with an understanding of design principles, advanced communications and creative writing skills for diverse media
• Knowledge and experience in sales, marketing, including proven ability to develop, implement and measure the effectiveness of marketing plans
• Strong research and data analysis skills; ability to gather and interpret large amounts of market research data, analyze strategies and metrics – including continual analysis of market trends, customer behaviours, and the positioning of competitors – and convert into meaningful reports for management and staff
• Proven expertise in the development and implementation of strategic, integrated, results-driven marketing and communications activities for multiple audiences in a highly professional manner
• Demonstrated understanding of current marketing approaches, tools and best practices, with emphasis on digital and print paid media, direct marketing, websites, social media, video and mobile communications, etc.
• Demonstrated experience in understanding the changing landscape of traditional and digital communications/marketing channels and acquisition and retention of customers, especially in a digital market
• Proficiency in working with MS Office, Adobe creative suite, Content Management Systems (WordPress), social media analytics tools, and Google Analytics.
• Expert knowledge of web analytics, SEO/SEM, email, social media and/or display advertising campaigns and optimization
• Graphic design and videography experience an asset
• Proven creativity in designing branded messaging, marketing campaigns and engagement strategies across a variety of stakeholder profiles
• Experience in fostering effective communication within and among groups and external stakeholders
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, build consensus and be sensitive to the needs and interests of a variety of stakeholders
• Outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills. Ability to prioritize tasks, meet deadlines and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously
• Strong project management and supervision skills in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
• Exceptional level of initiative, reliability and client service
• The ability to maintain confidentiality as required; sound judgement and tact
• Detail oriented, problem solver, resourceful, innovative, flexible & accessible
• Ability to work with minimal supervision
• English language fluency is required
Education and Experience:
The above is normally acquired through the completion of:
• A four-year university degree in business, marketing, communications or a related field.
• Five years of experience in a similar role working with paid brand and demand generation campaigns with significant experience in the use and measurement of digital and social media channels.
• Experience in developing content for and monitoring social media sites is required, as is experience in preparing multimedia presentations.
• Content management, creative writing, paid digital advertising and experience working with or for a media planning/buying agency is essential. Demonstrated experience working with the media and strategic planning in a communication environment required.
Carleton University and CUPE 2424 are currently completing a joint job evaluation and pay equity project. The University and the Union are working together to describe the skills, effort, responsibilities and working conditions associated with every CUPE 2424 job, including this one. As a result, the job description that is currently associated with this posting (for recruitment purposes) may be revised to reflect the actual duties captured in the new job descriptions.
By applying for this job you are acknowledging that the actual duties associated with this job may differ somewhat from those identified in the job posting and that you will agree to perform the duties of this job as determined through the joint job evaluation process.
Equivalencies will be considered. Applicants are encouraged to provide information which may demonstrate equivalent qualifications. Please note that applicants may be required to complete an employment test as part of the selection process for this position. Those applicants that are selected for an interview will be requested to contact the Human Resource Advisor assigned to this competition as soon as possible to discuss any accommodation requirements. Arrangements will be made to accommodate your request in a timely manner. Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our University including, but not limited to: women; visible minorities; First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples; persons with disabilities; and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expressions.
Important Note Regarding Pandemic Related Operations:
This position is required to work on campus. Exceptionally, since March 2020, many staff and faculty at Carleton University have been working from home in order to comply with public health requirements while continuing to provide services to support the operational functioning of the university. We are currently in the process of identifying positions that need to work on campus as part of our return to campus process. This position may be required to work temporarily remotely due to public health requirements or it may have been identified as one of the roles that are required to work on campus. If this position is required to work on campus, the successful candidate will be informed of the health and safety measures that are in place to ensure their safety on campus. If there is a requirement to work remotely (it is possible that there could be a requirement to work both remotely and on campus), the successful candidate will work with the manager to set up a remote work environment including discussing appropriate technology and requirements. Please note that once public health requirements permit, Carleton University will resume normal on campus operations and at that point there will be a timely notification provided by the manager and the requirement to working full time physically onsite will resume. Therefore, we are looking for candidates currently in or looking to relocate to the Ottawa area.
Additionally, Carleton University is continuing to maintain a safe work environment and requires mandatory vaccination against COVID-19 as per Public Health recommendations under the Reopening Ontario Act. As Carleton University requires that staff be available to attend on-campus meetings and to work, as required, in person, the successful candidate will be required to comply with this policy and be fully vaccinated before commencing employment. Subject to permitted exemptions under the Ontario Human Rights Code, if you are the successful candidate, your offer of employment will be conditional upon you attesting that you are fully vaccinated with a course of vaccines that have been approved by Health Canada and submitting appropriate proof of vaccination.
View complete position description
You must login first before attempting to apply for any postion.
Please confirm that you have updated your candidate profile, if you are a returning applicant. Please note your profile includes important screening information.
Cihr Tier 2 Crc In Indigenous, Racialized And/Or Vulnerable Populations – Carleton University, Canadian Association for Neuroscience, Canada, 41 minutes ago
About the Position Field of Specialization: CIHR Tier 2 CRC in Indigenous, Racialized and/or Vulnerable Populations Academic Unit: Faculty of Science Category of Appointment: Preliminary (tenure-t...
Cihr Tier 2 Crc In Accessibility And/Or Patient Centered Care At Carleton University, Canadian Association for Neuroscience, Canada, 40 minutes ago
About the Position Field of Specialization: CIHR Tier 2 CRC in Accessibility and/or Patient-Centered Care Academic Unit: Faculty of Science Category of Appointment: Preliminary (tenure-track) or t...
Senior Marketing Strategist, University of Alberta, Canada, 1 day ago
This position is a part of the Association of the Academic Staff of the University of Alberta (AASUA). In accordance with the Temporary Librarian, Administrative and Professional Officer (TLAPO) A...
Intern In The Commercialisation Department , European Space Agency, Netherlands, 6 days ago
Internship Opportunity in the Directorate of Commercialisation, Industry and Procurement. ESA is an equal opportunity employer, committed to achieving diversity within the workforce and creating a...
Marketing & Communications Specialist, University of Alberta, Canada, 22 days ago
This competition is restricted to internal applicants of the University of Alberta. Please indicate your internal status using the "Advertisement" drop down menu when applying. This position has a...
Marketing & Communications Specialist, University of Alberta, Canada, about 10 hours ago
This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA). This position has a term length of 2 years and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff...