Please refer to the How to Apply for a Job (for External Candidates) job aid for instructions on how to apply.
If you are an active McGill employee (ie: currently in an active contract or position at McGill University), do not apply through this Career Site. Login to your McGill Workday account and apply to this posting using the Find Jobs report (type Find Jobs in the search bar).
Reporting to Operations Manager, the Laser Safety Officer will be responsible to manage the McGill laser safety program. The incumbent will inspect lasers and non-ionizing radiation installations in various teaching, diagnostic and research facilities of the University. Review requests from researchers and provide information on the safe use of lasers and/or non-ionizing radiation systems, classify the types of lasers, review the required control measures, and select the appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE). Maintain up-to-date inventories of laser and non-ionizing equipment. Provide advice to the Community on commissioning and decommissioning of such facilities. Delivers training sessions in laser safety and in non-ionizing radiation. Liaise between the University and government agencies and with individual University departments.
- Participates in the development and implementation of policies and new initiatives that support the strategic direction of the Environmental Health and Safety regarding laser safety matters.
- Uses professional expertise, specialized skills and knowledge to prioritize activities or analyze a wide variety of laser safety requirements and processes related to designated areas.
- Establishes and maintains adequate laser safety policies and procedures.
- Evaluates laser workspaces; establishes Nominal Hazard Zones and Maximum Permissible Exposures.
- Identifies, evaluates and controls non-ionizing radiation hazards (i.e. microwaves, radio waves, electromagnetic fields, ultraviolet and infrared radiation).
- Maintains inventory of all Class 3B and Class 4 lasers.
- Manages the laser module in myLab and generates internal laser permits.
- Assures that prescribed control measures are implemented and maintained; approving substitutes or alternate control measures.
- Approves standard operating procedures (SOP) for alignment procedures and other procedural control measures.
- Recommends or approves protective equipment and assures that it is audited periodically.
- Reviews the wording on area laser safety warning signs and equipment labels.
- Reviews laser installations, facilities and equipment before use, including modifications.
- Provides Laser Safety and non-ionizing radiation training.
- Determines the personnel categories for medical surveillance (i.e. baseline eye testing).
- Maintains records of medical surveillance and training.
- Inspects at least annually all Class 3B and Class 4 lasers.
- Prepares and submits an annual report of activities to the University Laboratory Safety Committee. Develops a response plan for incidents of actual or suspected exposure.
- Approves laser control measures, including SOP for maintenance, service and disposal of laser equipment. Commissions and decommissions laser work areas, and other non-ionized radiation facilities.
- Undertakes specific tasks, special projects, initiatives and campaigns for EHS
Other Qualifying Skills and/or Abilities
Able to work simultaneously on a range of projects requiring different skills and resources and proven ability to meet multiple deadlines. Capability to work under minimal supervision and/or as part of a team. Excellent communication skills including writing and presentation as well as the ability to liaise with a variety of internal and external contacts. Possesses strong interpersonal skills, solid organizational skills and demonstrates attention to detail. Experience in a University research is strongly preferred. Able to work in a PC environment with advanced knowledge of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook,). Proficient in HMMS-myLab (example: Laser safety) and HEAT programs. English and French, spoken and written.
Minimum Education and Experience:
Bachelor's Degree 3 Years Related Experience with Bachelor’s Degree / DEC III 5 Years Related Experience with DEC III
(MPEX Grade 05) $65,500.00 - $81,870.00 - $98,240.00
Hours per Week:
33.75 (Full time)
Operations Manager EH&S
Position End Date (If applicable):
Deadline to Apply:
McGill University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community. We welcome applications from racialized persons/visible minorities, women, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, ethnic minorities, and persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities, as well as from all qualified candidates with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. McGill implements an employment equity program and encourages members of designated groups to self-identify. Persons with disabilities who anticipate needing accommodations for any part of the application process may contact, in confidence, email@example.com .
Laser Safety Officer, University of New Mexico Hospitals, United States, 9 days ago
Department: Operating Room FTE: 1.00 Full Time Shift: Days Position Summary: Oversee and coordinate the safe and effective use of lasers, laser systems and intense light devices used within the UN...
Optics Technical Engineer, Delft University of Technology (TU Delft), Netherlands, 1 day ago
QuTech is a mission-driven research institute run jointly by Delft University of Technology (TU Delft) and the Netherlands Organisation for Applied Scientific Research (TNO). Together, we work on ...
One (1) Master Student Position In Co Da Flight Project Colouring The Dark In Fluorescence Light, Foundation for Research and Technology, Greece, 9 days ago
The Institute of Electronic Structure and Laser of the Foundation for Research and Technology Hellas (IESL-FORTH), in the framework of the project CoDaFlight, (Call: HORIZON-EIC-2021-PATHFINDEROPE...
One (1) Master Student Position In Metatherm Project Meta Antenna And Energy Harvesting/Storage..., Foundation for Research and Technology, Greece, 10 days ago
The Institute of Electronic Structure and Laser (IESL) of the Foundation for research and Technology Hellas (FORTH), in the framework of the project METATHERM, (Call: HORIZON-EIC-2021-TRANSITION-C...
Research Associate – Laser Surface Functionalization (Bio Inspired); With The Option Of A Ph D Thesis At Eth Zurich , ETH Zurich, Switzerland, 1 day ago
80%-100%, Zurich, fixed-term inspire AG is the leading Swiss competence center for product innovation and advanced manufacturing. As a strategic partner of ETH Zurich, our mission is to transfer k...
Faculty Positions In Center For Transformative Science (Cts),…, ShanghaiTech University, China, 18 days ago
Center for Transformative Science (CTS) is a new interdisciplinary institute of ShanghaiTech University. At CTS, we solve complex real-world problems using cutting edge big science facilities and ...