This position is a part of the Non-Academic Staff Association (NASA).
This position has a term length of one year plus a day and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits .
Location - North campus. This role is in-person
Working for the University of Alberta
The University of Alberta acknowledges that we are located on Treaty 6 territory, and respects the histories, languages and cultures of First Nations, Métis, Inuit and all First Peoples of Canada, whose presence continues to enrich our vibrant community.
The University of Alberta is teeming with change makers, community builders, and world shapers who lead with purpose each and every day. We are home to more than 40,000 students in 200+ undergraduate and 500+ graduate programs, over 13,000 faculty and staff, 260,000 alumni worldwide and have been recognized as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for over a decade.
Your work will have a meaningful influence on a fascinating cross section of people—from our students and stakeholders, to our renowned researchers and innovators who are quite literally curing diseases, making discoveries and generating solutions that make the world healthier, safer, stronger, and more just.
The mission of the Department of Medical Microbiology & Immunology is to provide an enriched environment for research, education and training in the field of infection and immunity that links molecular mechanisms to disease, treatment and prevention.
This position involves research in a virology lab. The candidate will perform a wide range of technical duties and provide support for ongoing research projects, specifically by maintaining animal colonies, maintaining animal records and completing animal experiments and associated molecular assays, either independently or alongside current lab trainees. Their primary role will be managing and completing animal experiments, which will require independent decision making and collaboration with lab trainees, animal care staff, the principal investigator and veterinarians.
Animal Colony Maintenance and Experiments - 65%
- Standard mice husbandry, which may include receiving animals, setting up breeding cages, weaning and tagging
- Monitors of the size and diversity of animal colonies
- Makes independent decisions regarding the health and care of animal colonies based on advice from animal care staff, veterinarians and principal investigator
- Conducts animal experiments independently or assists other lab members following discussion and instruction by graduate students and principal investigator
- Conducts a variety of experimental procedures on animals including, but not limited to, injections, euthanasia, tissue sampling and processing
- Assists in the training of new students with animal experiments
Assistance in Research Experiments -30%
- Prepares standard solutions for the laboratory
- Prepares viral stocks required for all animal experiments
- Works independently or assists other lab members with tumor processing and associated molecular assays (including, but not limited to, flow cytometry, virus titering and qPCR)
Maintaining Records -5%
- Maintains current records of animal colonies
- Assists in maintaining and completing animal protocols and associated paperwork
- Ensures compliance with EHS under the supervision of the principal investigator
- B.Sc. in biological sciences or equivalent
- 5 years or more experience in small research animal models and molecular biology
- Animal Handling certificate
- Experience in research environment
- Experience with handling and care of small animals
- Experience with troubleshooting laboratory protocols and equipment
- Experience with the administration of policies and procedures
- Experience with biohazard, radiation, WHMIS safety and policy
- Computer proficiency with MS Suit applications
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Animal Technician I, Harvard University, United States, about 1 hour ago
31-Mar-2023 Faculty of Arts and Sciences 61964BR Job Summary Explore an Animal Care Career at Harvard University Cambridge where our animal care programs commitment to excellence in research is un...
Animal Ecology Group (All Genders Welcome)Fb Institute Of Zoology And Anthropology, Georg August University of Göttingen, Germany, about 1 hour ago
Animal Ecology Group (all genders welcome) Stellen-ID: 1478 Facility: FB Institute of Zoology and Anthropology Contact person: Prof. Dr. Stefan Scheu email@example.com +49 (0)551 3925445 Date of f...
Wildlife Curator, Sunriver Nature Center & Observatory, United States, 26 days ago
AgencySunriver Nature Center & ObservatoryLocationSunriverJob CategoryFull time PositionsSalary$18.00 an hour DOEStart Date03/15/2023Last Date to Apply03/07/2023Websitehttps://snco.org/about-us/em...
Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor* In Animal Environment And Health, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden, about 14 hours ago
Department of Animal Environment and Health The Department of Animal Environment and Health has approximately 70 employees mainly in Skara, which is located in Sweden's most densely farmed area, a...
Kennel Assistant, Massey University, New Zealand, 7 days ago
SVS - VTH Vet Care Assistant and Kennel Hands College of Sciences Palmerston North CS_SVSVTHVCAKH_320_02/23 Professional Grade 1 43618 - 47137 College of Sciences Term length: ongoing Hours of wor...
Teaching Assistant Professor In Companion Animal Cardiology, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, 9 days ago
The Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences at the University of Copenhagen invites applications for a full or a part-time position as a teaching assistant professor in Companion Animal Cardiol...