This competition is open to all applicants however internal candidates and applicants who were former employees of the University of Alberta in the past 18 months will be given priority consideration before external candidates. Please indicate your internal status using the "Advertisement" drop down menu when applying.
The duration of this position is 12 months plus a day from the date of hire and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: Faculty & Staff Benefits .
Working under the direct supervision of the Principal Investigator, the required tasks of this position include responsibility for the operation, management and administration in the Gibson Lab, which includes but not limited to monitoring of function of lab equipment, purchasing lab supplies, keeping track of research spending, and keeping lab reports up to date including an inventory of lab supplies and equipment. Ensure all lab activities comply with safety regulations. Routine lab techniques are used to maintain cell cultures, and to preform experiments in the area of cell biology, and molecular biology. It is also expected that this position will help mentor and assist students in their experiments.
Laboratory Work and Research (80%)
- This person will be in charge of general lab management including establishment and running of cell biology and molecular biology experiments
- Duties will include ordering equipment and supplies, daily lab maintenance and maintaining tissue cultures
- The position will also need to handle and process human blood samples from patients. This will give general quality assurance and maintain cryopreserved biospecimens
- Prepare solutions commonly used in the lab
- Complete different techniques including but not limited to western blots, protein purification, flow cytometry, immunostaining, and DNA constructs
- Analysis data and preparation/presentation of preliminary finding
- Maintenance of cell cultures of mammalian cells
- Optimize protocols working with lab members and collaborators
- Create SOPs for lab tasks and keeping protocols updated
Laboratory Maintenance and Administration (15%)
- Responsible for operation, troubleshooting and quality control of all laboratory equipment
- Ensure lab is in a state of readiness by calling specific service personnel as required for reparis and maintenances for equipment and lab infrastructure
- Order lab supplies on a daily basis as needed
- Generate lab supply inventory lists and maintains inventory levels by ordering on a regular basis
- Keep track of laboratory spending on a monthly basis
Safety Policies and Procedures (5%)
- Ensure lab compliance with WHMIS regulations, and safety dealing with biohazards
- Ensure all lab members utilize and understand policies and procedures related to safety protocols
- Report and discuss changes on safety procedures in lab meetings
- Trains new lab members on lab techniques specific to their research projects.
- Ensure all biohazard, chemical and lab safety procedures follow U of A Safety Services policies and procedures on hazardous material are properly catalogued, accounted for and stored
- Use the University’s Chematix program to dispose of all hazardous waste
- Responsible for shipping and receiving dangerous goods
- Maintains posting of permits and safety protocols
- Maintains MSDS forms, and Environmental Health and Safety forms
- Minimum Bachelor's Degree required, Masters degree an asset/preferred
- 3 year’s experience in conducting cell and molecular biology experiments preferred
- Experience establishing a new laboratory required
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
Senior Research Specialist (Stem Cell Therapy And Corneal Tissue Engineering Lab) – Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences (Job Id #155007), University of Illinois, United States, about 4 hours ago
The Stem Cell Therapy and Corneal Tissue Engineering Lab is looking for two Senior Research Specialist to join their team. The University of Illinois College of Medicine have two lab technician po...
Laboratory Technician , University of Basel, Switzerland, 22 days ago
Your position The candidate will have the opportunity to apply and optimize cutting-edge molecular methods, in particular those for the generation of 3D in vitro models that adequately recapitulat...
Lab Assistant (Technician Cta/Bta/Mta)., Max Planck Institute of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, Germany, about 5 hours ago
We are looking for a Lab Assistant (Technician CTA/BTA/MTA) Our multidisciplinary group uses bottom-up approaches to synthesise artificial cells with life-like properties (see also https://www.mpi...
Technician To Support The Vib Single Cell Core @ Campus Technologiepark Zwijnaarde, VIB, Belgium, 1 day ago
About the Single Cell Core VIB is widely recognized as an established and world-leading knowledge center in life sciences and biotechnology with an excellent reputation in technology transfer. The...
Research Technician, Temple University, United States, 6 days ago
Research Technician - (21003321) Description The Research Technician at the Lewis Katz School of Medicine Center for Neurovirology and Gene Editing team, under the supervision of Dr. Khalili, perf...
Bioinformatician Single Cell Epigenomics And Cancer Development Lab, Centre For Genomic Regulation, Spain, 13 days ago
The Institute The Centre for Genomic Regulation (CRG) is an international biomedical research institute of excellence, based in Barcelona, Spain, with more than 400 scientists from 44 countries. T...